Boudriot's 74 gun ship as model

stein
29th September 2007, 19:12
If anybody out there like me once forked out for four volumes of Jean Boudriot's "The 74 gun ship", they may well enjoy seeing this model: LINK (http://perso.orange.fr/gerard.delacroix/74/74-1.htm) Each picture gives you a number of pictures of that part of the ship.
Clicking on "accueil" on top of the page will get you the start-page on this impressive "French arsenal models" site, with the model list at upper left; worth a look around for anyone interested in plank on frame/Navy Board models. Regards, Stein.

gribeauval51
31st October 2007, 16:38
I managed to buy an unused set at a car boot sale last year for £20 and I am still trying to pluck up the courage to make a start on the build!!

stein
31st October 2007, 17:06
The four volume set in English is today 416 Euros, divided by 1,4350 going rate, is 289 pounds, minus 20 is 269 pounds. I'd call that a substantial saving, yes, good reason to gloat. But building a model would be no bargain I guess. I started on Chaphams Hagbåt, then gave it up and started on the frigate London whose plans came with an issue of Model Shipwright. I did the hull and the boats and the pieces for the masts, and then started turning guns. I turned guns and I turned guns, ... and that was at least five years ago, a few guns too many and not enough by far, and "I won't live forever and I just can't bear thinking of the rigging!". So my advice is: if you haven't already some experience of finishing smaller models: don't start, the ship's too big!, just enjoy studying the books!
That's just my opinion, based on my lack of finishing power, (and total ignorance of your abilities), though! Regards, Stein.

gribeauval51
31st October 2007, 22:30
The four volume set in English is today 416 Euros, divided by 1,4350 going rate, is 289 pounds, minus 20 is 269 pounds. I'd call that a substantial saving, yes, good reason to gloat. But building a model would be no bargain I guess. I started on Chaphams Hagbåt, then gave it up and started on the frigate London whose plans came with an issue of Model Shipwright. I did the hull and the boats and the pieces for the masts, and then started turning guns. I turned guns and I turned guns, ... and that was at least five years ago, a few guns too many and not enough by far, and "I won't live forever and I just can't bear thinking of the rigging!". So my advice is: if you haven't already some experience of finishing smaller models: don't start, the ship's too big!, just enjoy studying the books!
That's just my opinion, based on my lack of finishing power, (and total ignorance of your abilities), though! Regards, Stein.

Stein, I have been building model boats for over 30 years and for the last 15 models of RNLI lifeboats in all scales from 1/16th to currently 1/3rd via 1/6th and 1/12th so I understand the problems involved and also sympathise with you over the turning of guns for models:p

I didn't realise the current value of the four volume set and I'm really glad I bought them at the time, still, one day....................(Thumb)

Mike