SS Emlynian

winchman
1st October 2007, 12:59
I wonder if anybody can help me on this one.

My grandfather, a donkeyman, signed on the Emlynian on 29 April 1920.

His discharge book shows that he was discharged in Alexandria, Egypt on 24 Sept 1920 (reason unknown). He then signed on the Siamese Prince on 1 Nov 1920 five weeks later in Alexandria.

Does anyone out there know how I can find out why a seaman would spend 5 weeks in Alexandria. I realise that he could have been sick but there may be other reasons & I wondered if there are some records which may give me some info.

winchman

melliget
1st October 2007, 13:46
Hi.

Perhaps it had something to do with a coal strike in Alexandria about that time:

The Times
Thursday, Sep 02, 1920
Alexandria Coal Strike
Cairo, Aug. 31
Coal porters in the port of Alexandria struck
yesterday, demanding higher wages. All coal
shipping has ceased. A strike of Alexandria
tramway employees is threatened, but so far
efforts at prevention have been successful.

regards,
Martin

winchman
3rd October 2007, 18:23
Thanks for that Melliget.
My problem with that solution is - if he was unable to leave because of a strike why did he leave Alexandria 5 weeks later on another ship? (SS Siamese Prince).

Winchman

Oliver Byrne
30th July 2008, 17:48
I have a model of the Emlynian which my grandfather made over 60 years ago - see photos. I'am unsure what his connection was with the Emlynian but he made a number>>of models of steamers from that era

I wonder if anybody can help me on this one.

My grandfather, a donkeyman, signed on the Emlynian on 29 April 1920.

His discharge book shows that he was discharged in Alexandria, Egypt on 24 Sept 1920 (reason unknown). He then signed on the Siamese Prince on 1 Nov 1920 five weeks later in Alexandria.

Does anyone out there know how I can find out why a seaman would spend 5 weeks in Alexandria. I realise that he could have been sick but there may be other reasons & I wondered if there are some records which may give me some info.

winchman