Trinder,Anderson's

Burwah
5th April 2005, 10:20
Would like to get in touch with any engineers who sailed with Trinder's during the mid to late 50's, especially on the old Kaimata.

J Boyde
16th April 2005, 09:10
Greetings. I was with Trinders in 61. Ship initially Galway (engineer) Joinned her in Wellington, transfered to Ashburton at Cardiff, three engineers flew to fiji to join Ashburton. We wound up in Noumea. Ship had major engine problems. Thay had started the engine with water in a unit, 13 deg damage on engine. Also had cracks on cylinders. Ass super eng, 3 Eng and my self joined it (as volunters) super and 3 eng must have been arounds your time. Fiji to panama, broke down enery day, took 29 days, and short of water and food. 12 days in canal for maintenance, US during day, us after nights. Towed through canal (Pilots comment, great siren, not much else) Panama to Liverpool with no stopage, not allowed to stop until we had a tug on. To the tyne for engine repalrs. three months to have engine fixed the sold to Manners of HongKong. Met a number of Trinders older people at that period, can remember a few but cannot remember the Kaimata. Mind, we didnt see other company ships very often.

J Boyde
21st May 2005, 10:09
I believe Trinders ships had a name change around late 1958, or so. Changed to Irish names and understand, when P and O took over the ships around 1972 at least three, which were the Galway, Donnegal(?) and Antrim had a name change to P O names.
As far as I know the Australin (?) ships carried on under their own names.
J Boyde

Burwah
21st May 2005, 10:53
Thanks for your replies. I joined Trinder, Anderson's in January,54 and left in Nov.58. George Fairlem was Superintendent Engineer and his assistant was a Dutchman. My first ship was the Kaimata and I stayed with her for two years. She was later renamed the Antrim when transferred to the newly revived Avenue Shipping Co. You mentioned the Ashburton, if I remember correctly it had a B&W four-stroke and steam auxiliaries. Did you meet up with Alan Chick or George Abbinnet at all ? Sid Le Quesne

dave beaumont
21st July 2005, 04:36
I served as a deckie on Antrim for nine months 1971-72 and Donegal for 5 months 1972-73. Antrim became Strathinch and after a few other name changes was broken up in 1982 as Singapore 2. Donegal became Strathirvine and went to the breakers in 1980 as Athina. Captains on Antrim were Murray and Luck and Bosun was Wally Green. Donegals bosun was Fraser. Great ships to work on with good crews.

J Boyde
21st February 2006, 09:15
Yes I do remember the Ashburton, have a photo of it above my computor. I, and two others flew from the UK to Noumea to work on the engine. They tried to start the engine with a bit too much water in the cylinder, back some 13 deg on a unit. We spent a lot of work on the heads before we got away from Fiji. Were restricted with speed with the damage unit. We broke down every day until we got to Panama, where they towed us through the canal and the US worked on the engines by day, and us on the night, well intill we went to the dog house. New heads but on after 12 days work, plus a few bits. Still on restrictions, no stops across the atlantic but not allowed to stop until we had a tug on at Liverpool. Spent three months with her on the Tyne where ther pulled half the engine out so the shaft can be relined. we were not alowed to work, unions etc. Sold to Manners when the engine work had been done'
Jim B (egg)

David Williams
5th February 2009, 19:20
Hi Burwah.
Hi there Burwah.I didnt sail with Trinder Anderson,bu with
the Australind Shipping Company on the Ajana.Im after
collecting Company Buttons,and all I need is a Trinder
Anderson button,as Ive been informed that Trinder Anderson
Bethyl Gwynn,The Avenue Shipping Company,and the Australind
Co all had the same buttons on the uniforms,even though the
Australind had different funnel markings.I hope that anyone who
reads this post and can help me in my search,Ill be most grateful.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Graham Elliott
7th December 2013, 04:37
Dave,
I've just read your comment on sailing on the Ajana, I was on her in 1961 - 1963. The Australind Shipping Company was actually owned by Trinder Anderson, so to sail on the Ajana is indeed sailing with Trinder Anderson. (I have some company buttons, they feature on them the 'hungry goose' flag.)

Hi Burwah.
Hi there Burwah.I didnt sail with Trinder Anderson,bu with
the Australind Shipping Company on the Ajana.Im after
collecting Company Buttons,and all I need is a Trinder
Anderson button,as Ive been informed that Trinder Anderson
Bethyl Gwynn,The Avenue Shipping Company,and the Australind
Co all had the same buttons on the uniforms,even though the
Australind had different funnel markings.I hope that anyone who
reads this post and can help me in my search,Ill be most grateful.

Dave Williams(R583900)

granty
7th December 2013, 07:16
Hi
My Brother P Grant sailed in Trinders from 04.56 to 06.64
He was in the Ajana Donegal Australind Limerick
He served his time in the Ajana and was 3rd 2nd Mate as well
Cheers
Granty

Knightswood Boy
14th December 2013, 19:23
Hi my Brother Bob sailed on the Ajana around 1953 either as 2nd Mate or Mate not really sure. I was in Shell Tankers as an apprentice when we passed in the Medi he was outward out to Australia ,I was homeward bound to sit for my 2nd mates certificate

bardig
19th July 2014, 09:38
I was second mate of 'kaipaki' in 1954 also of Australind later. Came ashore in 1957 as Cargo Superintendent of Bethell Gwyn taking over from Captain McClean - would very much like to contact John Brian who was third mate of Kaipaki