New to the forum - merged threads

Skye Sierra
3rd October 2007, 14:28
Hi all,

Found the site whilst googling for ships pics 4 or 5 weeks ago. What a great site! Spent my time at sea with Denholms so will probably be found skulking in that forum when I'm on.

Regards

Skye Sierra

Skye Sierra
3rd October 2007, 15:09
Hi guys

I joined the site about 5 weeks ago and it's taken me till now to find the old discharge book. I've listed the ships I was on with Denholms both Red Ensign & foreign flag. I would be interested in photos of any of them (other than what's in the gallery) as I've become a sad old nostalgic git who hasn't got pics of any of the ships I sailed on. Great forum by the way - Im slowly working my way through the threads and pulling up memories.

Naess Texas 10/68 - 4/69
Darius 6/69 - 2/70
Naess Sovereign 8/70 - 5/71
Stonehaven 8/71 - 9/71 and 8/73 - 12/73
Naess Endeavour 9/71 - 3/72
Bellnes 5/72 - 10/72
Scotstoun 11/72 - 12/72
Nordic Clansman 8/74 - 1/75 and 7/81 - 11/81
Avon Bridge 2/75 - 12/75 including layup at Loch Striven
Sir John Hunter 5/76 - 2/77
Troll Park 4/77 - 8/77
Sig Ragne 1/78 - 6/78
Sevonia Team 2/79 - 5/79 and 9/79 - 2/80
Dalma 4/80 - 10/80
Cast Puffin 1/81 - 5/81
Agios Nicolaos Talassoporous 10/82 1/83 (anybody remember that one?)
Cast Heron 2/83 - 7/83
Merchant Navigator 9/83 - 4/84
Exxtor 1 5/84 - 3/85
Galloway (ex Tor Caledonia) 3/85 - 7/85
Tor Caledonia (ex Galloway) 8/85 - 12/86
Merchant Trader 1/87 2/87

and then out to become a coastie.

Regards to all (Thumb)

R58484956
3rd October 2007, 15:20
Greetings SS and a warm welcome to the site of SN. Very nice introduction you have given. Thanks for signing on and enjoy the site. Bon voyage.

K urgess
3rd October 2007, 15:55
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Plenty of ex-Denholm's in the crew.
Find your way around and enjoy the trip.

Frank P
3rd October 2007, 18:37
Welcome onboard, enjoy the site.

Cheers Frank

Steve Woodward
3rd October 2007, 20:44
A belated welcome to SN, with that list of ships something must crop up, best of luck
Steve

michaelF
3rd October 2007, 22:31
Hi Skye Sierra ,
was 2nd mate on troll park 6/77 to 9/77 so we must have sailed together . Sailed on all the troll boats , and cant remember anything particular about that trip , unless of course you can jog the memory .

mike

benjidog
3rd October 2007, 22:43
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

randcmackenzie
3rd October 2007, 23:13
Hello Roger,

Have fun, quite a few well known names here.

Best Regards,
Roddie Mackenzie.

non descript
4th October 2007, 07:27
Skye Sierra, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community, you will find quite a few kindred spirits here; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage.

gdynia
4th October 2007, 07:32
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

John Cassels
4th October 2007, 07:56
Did you join the Cast Puffin about 18/01/81 by helicopter off Las Palmas ?.
If so , I was paying off as ch.mate at the same time so perhaps we met
each other on top of #5. Tommy Isbister would still be Master .

Gulpers
4th October 2007, 12:56
Mr B,

A warm welcome to SN from Anglesey!
Your sense of humour will be perfect for this site - but, don't tell the buggers anything about our boating escapades in Loch Striven and certainly don't mention the Avon Bridge's safe keys! (Jester)

Catch you later! (==D)

Skye Sierra
4th October 2007, 17:00
Thanks for the welcome guys,

Mike, (of Guy Gadoire fame?), did I give you a lift to the Blackpool area in a pretty fast Volkswagen at about 2 oclock in the morning from North Shields when the Park was having her 750 ton concrete forepeak removed in drydock?

John, yes - according to the book I joined at Las Palmas on the 15th Jan 81 so I probably did touch down on #5. I would have been the one with no luggage - I think it's still in Las Palmas.

Ray, My lips are forever sealed about Loch Striven. Suffice to say the jetty is still there; the safe keys are still safe; and all boat trips were carried out with military style precision (in the fastest lifeboat of it's day) - nay?

Cheers(==D)

michaelF
4th October 2007, 17:31
Skye Sierra ,
my memory must really be failing me . i am still not sure who you really are ?? Is the Guy Gadoire reference to a bear ??
Also what were you doing giving me a lift to Blackpool at 0200 , yes i used to live there.
I do remember once breaking down on the m6 coming from north shields to blackpool in the early hours but that was in a Hillman imp hire car ? Head gasket blew .

I was there for the fore peak removal , did it not fall off the crane when refitting and we were there for ages whilst they fabricated another one .

If you dont want to put your name on thread please email / pm me , just to settle my mind

mike

michaelF
4th October 2007, 18:01
Skye Sierra ,
this is doing my head in . The skye bit threw me , i was thinking of the west coast mafia at first , but if you had your car there you must have been local ?? Did we not "play" a lot of hunt the / "queen of spades" and you smoked cigars . Initial R .
Or have i completly lost it

mike

Skye Sierra
4th October 2007, 20:07
Mike,

All you've said is pefect. Nought wrong with the memory. I'll PM you shortly

Cheers

Rossbay
4th October 2007, 22:04
Welcome to Ships Nostalgia and greetings from Londonderry
Cheers
Fred

DCMARINE
5th October 2007, 12:10
Welcome aboard Skye Sierra. Enjoy the voyage and crew. You have a lot of "browsing" to do to get up to date.
Donald Campbell

R58484956
5th October 2007, 16:18
Greetings SS and welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

John Gillies
5th October 2007, 21:35
Hi SS,

Just read over your thread and thought you might be interested in a 1970 Crew List I came across of JJ Denholm ships dated November 1970.
I'm living across the Sound from you and will drop a copy off if you like. Your name appears as a fresh young cadet along with cadet D Morgan. Captain E Warman, C/O EG Taylor,
2/O RB MacLean, C/E E Grenfell, 2/E W laird, 3/O C Parker & D Lilliquest and Electrician D Ross appear to be your fellow crew.
I sailed with Donald Ross on Dalma in 1979 along with C/O Donald Ross who was then promoted to Master. Hard working ship but a Very sociable one. I remember Norman MacLean tapes were the main entertainment with copious amounts of Drumbuie!!
Off on Hols tomorrow but will get in touch on my return.
All the best.
JG

randcmackenzie
6th October 2007, 18:57
Mr B,

A warm welcome to SN from Anglesey!
Your sense of humour will be perfect for this site - but, don't tell the buggers anything about our boating escapades in Loch Striven and certainly don't mention the Avon Bridge's safe keys! (Jester)

Catch you later! (==D)

Ah hah. I know what happened to them too. Not one to fluster easily was Tommy Isbister. I believe he is still enjoying his retirement too.

Gulpers
6th October 2007, 23:29
Ah hah. I know what happened to them too. Not one to fluster easily was Tommy Isbister. I believe he is still enjoying his retirement too.
randcmackenzie,

Glad to hear that Tommy is having a happy retirement and, I must say, he took the news about the keys in his normal unflustered manner!
Strictly speaking, Skye Sierra knew exactly where the keys were - so they weren't really lost! (Jester)

You weren't on Avon Bridge at the time were you? (?HUH)

randcmackenzie
7th October 2007, 11:02
No, I wasn't, but Skye Sierra told me the story.

Skye Sierra
8th October 2007, 13:48
Mike,

Thanks for the e.mail. You've got a better memory than me but I thinks you're right - the mate's name was Bill or William Wood(s). Maybe some of the other troops can remember him on the Troll boats. What I can remember is that when he slipped on the ladder and broke his leg it was the only time I ever saw Jack Morris laughing although, to be fair, Jack didn't know that he had hurt himself. Then there was our 3/E who damaged himself while having a shower - have you remembered his name yet? Must have been your skill as the ship's doctor that attracted so many broken bones!!!

Cheers

Roger (==D)

Skye Sierra
8th October 2007, 13:58
No, I wasn't, but Skye Sierra told me the story.

Roddy,

I'm struggling with brain cells here - was it on the Cast Heron I sailed with you?

Regards

Roger(Cloud)

michaelF
8th October 2007, 14:00
Roger ,
think i have come across pictures of 3/0 and wife who revealed all to me because she thought i was a real doctor .

You will have to send me a normal email so i have yours .

mike

randcmackenzie
8th October 2007, 20:04
Roddy,

I'm struggling with brain cells here - was it on the Cast Heron I sailed with you?

Regards

Roger(Cloud)

Yes indeed Roger, mobile homes from Jacksonville to Saudi, crude from Kharg to part discharge STS off Fujairah, hung about south of Sicily, then balance at Huelva.

Then Cast went bust and we hung about East of Gibraltar before coming round to bunker and pay off.

Particulars believed correct, but not guaranteed.

Best Regards,
Roddie.

Skye Sierra
15th October 2007, 17:33
Your memory's good Roddie - I'd forgotten about the mobile palaces we took out to Saudi. A novel use for an OBO converting it to a condominium for a sea voyage. We should have taken passengers and charged them for the cruise. If I remember the homes were complete with everything exept linen.

Did we change the name to Helm just before we went into Algeciras Bay and home?

Regards

Roger (Thumb)

randcmackenzie
15th October 2007, 23:15
Hello Roger,

She was still Cast Heron when we left, the onsigning squad changed the name, and painted out the C on the funnel(s).
I think Brian French relieved me, and I seem to remember a compatriot of yours Tommy Moffat was Chief for a while until he was paid off with a 'heart attack'. Turned out to be a trapped nerve, as I remember.

I did go back to her later on for a trip Genoa to Tubarao via the Romanche Gap, plus a deviation to Abidjan to land a man with appendicitis.

They changed her over to Denholm HK when we got to Rotterdam, and I wouldn't go, so home I went.

Best regards,

Roddie.