"Father I have sinned!"!!!!

Philthechill
5th October 2007, 16:42
I can't remember the year exactly as I was on "Maipura" from 1/2/66 until finally leaving her 16/9/68.
We were in Colombo and, for a change, tied-up close to the end of the quay just below the Hotel Taprobane (formerly the GOH).
I forget who I was ashore with but we had enjoyed a good night and decided to go into the Taprobane for a couple of snifters before returning to the ship.
We were in the bar near the top of the Taprobane (Sky-Room Bar or something?) admiring the view of the harbour and commenting on the fact that we didn't need to get one of those water-borne taxi's, (as frequently happened when you were anchored out in the middle-harbour) to get back to "Maipura" but could just stroll along the jetty when we decided to return.
Just as we were on the point of departing the bar someone said, "Look at the ship!"
The lights were flickering and then they all went out!!!
Obviously there had been a power-failure of some kind and we could just imagine the mayhem on board as the "Duty Ghost", and whatever other Engineer's may be aboard, turned-to in order to right the fault that had caused the black-out.
Naturally we all rushed out of the Taprobane to go to the aid of our fellow-engineers who would be floundering around, aboard the ship, in the dark being as we were all members of that tight-knit group of dedicated professionals who would instantly help their peers!
Ha! Dream on!
We ordered another Rawlings and fresh-lime (or several!) apiece and waited with considerable interest until we saw the lights come back on again!!! As the fault may have been quite serious we waited for a good half-hour after the resumption of power aboard before finishing our drinks and going back to the ship.
We were greeted by several very sweaty engineers who said " You f*****s know when to go ashore don't you? We've been up to our necks in muck and bullets as we've just had a bloody big black-out! The harbour feed-pump threw a wobbler and we had to shut down 'til we got it up-and-running again!!" (The stand-by pump was being o'hauled and was in bits on the plates!)
We (incredulously), "No s**t Sherlock!! Must have been a bit of a bugger by the looks of you!!"
"No problem lads! Have a beer and tell us where you've been whilst we were having our moments!!!"
Do you know we all sat down and had a few Tennents with them without feeling a trace of guilt!!!
That's the first time I've ever recounted that yarn so I think I need some absolution!!!!!!! Salaams Phil(Hippy)

eldersuk
6th October 2007, 00:01
Done it. Done it. Done it and I feel just as guilty as you. ( He He He)

Derek

benjidog
6th October 2007, 00:31
Peter4447,

As the site's resident padre I think you should grant absolution to these tormented souls. They are obviously struggling to sleep at night as a result of their appalling conduct. ;)

Brian

Peter4447
6th October 2007, 00:57
I consider absolution is totally unnecessary.

Those involved were not required on duty and, as such, were perfectly entitled to enjoy their time ashore. To have rushed back, in an inebriated condition to assist those who were on duty may have seen them fumbling around in the darkness that could have resulted in an accident occuring.

So sleep easy in your beds my Brothers because you clearly obeyed the instruction that says: 'Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread!'

Peter(Jester)

PS - How's that for a bit of diplomacy!

makko
6th October 2007, 06:19
And as the old saying goes.....don't volunteer for anything! And those words,"Anything else Second?"........

Ha-Ha.....We are all sinners at heart!!

Rgds.

Dave

dom
6th October 2007, 08:17
shame on you,a good shipmate would'of stayed on board in the first place ready to give a hand in any situation(==D) last down the gangway pays the taxi

Philthechill
6th October 2007, 16:17
At long last, after many years of hiding in doorways, skulking in underpasses (raincoat optional!) etc. etc. I have been absolved of all guilt regarding events, recounted above, in Colombo 40-some years ago!!
Being judged, unanimously, by my fellow-peers as being NOT GUILTY of anything untoward by my staying ashore in air-conditioned comfort, drinking copious amounts of ice-cold Rawlings gin, and fresh lime, whilst others on board a blacked-out, very hot, ship, wrestled with a recalcitrant feed-pump until they solved its problems, got it up-and-running again, got water back into the donkey-boiler, fired it up, got the pressure up to 250 p.s.i., and got everything settled-down again and then for me to remain ashore for a time adjudged long enough that a repeat black-out wasn't imminent means a lot to me! Thankyou one-and-all. I have told my daughters about your support and they are well-pleased saying supportive things like "See, you silly old fart!! We told you it was alright!! Now will you stop wearing womens clothing as an (apparent) disguise!!!!"
However I don't know if I am prepared to go to that length just yet-------------what do you all think? Salaams Phil(Hippy)

benjidog
6th October 2007, 17:29
Phil,

Your "cross-dressing" secret is safe with us and the entire Internet. Just don't post any photos - that may be a bridge too far! ;)

Brian

Geoff_E
6th October 2007, 21:58
Cross-dressing? Hmmm? Perhaps there should be a separate forum?

Seriously though Phil; the story was so typical and said so much about a life largely gone by. It reads on different levels of course and to the unititiated you could be construed as abandoning your shipmates. However, it really speaks of a closeness and comradeship now sadly lost, and watering holes seldom visited these days.

Why did you post in the Brock's forum, it's one for everybody?

sparkie2182
7th October 2007, 00:55
as corporal jones once said on "dads army".........

"its the comradeship you miss most about army life......................

nick your mates gear before he nicks yours"

:)

Philthechill
7th October 2007, 09:04
Cross-dressing? Hmmm? Perhaps there should be a separate forum?

Seriously though Phil; the story was so typical and said so much about a life largely gone by. It reads on different levels of course and to the unititiated you could be construed as abandoning your shipmates. However, it really speaks of a closeness and comradeship now sadly lost, and watering holes seldom visited these days.

Why did you post in the Brock's forum, it's one for everybody? Geoff! Salaams! I suppose I posted it on Brock's site as it related to a Brocklebank ship but, if you think it should be on the Mess Deck site, for reasons you have quoted (which sound fair enough to me), then please feel free to move it. I'd do it myself but I'm not sure how to. Salaams Phil(Hippy)

Don A.Macleod
7th October 2007, 10:30
Phil
You have my forgivenes!Maybe it was a thing with J3s but remember coasting the MAHSEER and we were in Antwerp.It was about 2am when the J3 and I were returning to the ship and noticed it was "blacked out",he immediately spun round saying I'm away back up town.I hesitated and decided to go aboard to find skeleton staff trying to get the wee air compressor going.This was finally accomplished(the S3 was quite persuasive with engines AKA Eric Lorimer). Power was restored and we retired to someones room to consume what was available from whatever source,happy days indeed.
Don't post very often but I do read and enjoy yours especially remembering our time on the MAIPURA and some of your stories like driving an Albion down the A74 when the toilet beckoned! Also tales of flying,as I remember wasn't your brother a pilot flying Meteors?
Keep them coming Phil,great entertainment and bring back memories. Salaams Don

Philthechill
7th October 2007, 19:50
Phil
You have my forgivenes!Maybe it was a thing with J3s but remember coasting the MAHSEER and we were in Antwerp.It was about 2am when the J3 and I were returning to the ship and noticed it was "blacked out",he immediately spun round saying I'm away back up town.I hesitated and decided to go aboard to find skeleton staff trying to get the wee air compressor going.This was finally accomplished(the S3 was quite persuasive with engines AKA Eric Lorimer). Power was restored and we retired to someones room to consume what was available from whatever source,happy days indeed.
Don't post very often but I do read and enjoy yours especially remembering our time on the MAIPURA and some of your stories like driving an Albion down the A74 when the toilet beckoned! Also tales of flying,as I remember wasn't your brother a pilot flying Meteors?
Keep them coming Phil,great entertainment and bring back memories. Salaams Don Don! Many ta's for your complimentary feedback re. my yarns. You are correct about my brother flying Meteors! Quite a feat of memory that as it's a good forty years since we were together on "Maipura"!!!! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

Don A.Macleod
7th October 2007, 21:37
Don! Many ta's for your complimentary feedback re. my yarns. You are correct about my brother flying Meteors! Quite a feat of memory that as it's a good forty years since we were together on "Maipura"!!!! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

It is forty years Phil, 1967 and we went round the Cape (where did they go?) PM your phone number and I'll give you a call. Don.

raybnz
8th October 2007, 08:25
Been in that situation. Awoke in port to find no lights or vibrations from the running gen set. On with the overalls and with torch in hand proceeded to the ER. It is quite something to see a engine room bathed in soft emergency lighting but with no noise coming from it except the Junior roaring around at 60 mph.Did the same as a Junior when on generator watch. I always found it better that everyone stayed away to let the night aboard and the junior sort the problem out. Usually it was something simple (days before electronics) and once another generator was fired up and put on load life returned to normal apart from having to haul the Greaser out of his sack to get the donkey boiler flashed up again.

If the beer was good it would have taken me a lot to leave the bar to help.

Philthechill
8th October 2007, 15:27
Phil,

Your "cross-dressing" secret is safe with us and the entire Internet. Just don't post any photos - that may be a bridge too far! ;)

Brian Brian! As a further purging of my soul I have decided to bite the bullet and accept your advice about putting photo's on the SN site. You can see the result in the Members Faces section of The Gallery. I bet you're hard-pressed to tell that it's actually a bloke aren't you????? I think that's my absolution complete now don't you? Salaams Phil(Hippy) 18.00hrs 8/10/07 Brian! Don't bother looking for the photo. It's been pulled as it was decided it was too obscene