old photos from suez

glennmiddlemiss
9th October 2007, 17:09
have just found some old photos from suez canal, early 50,s i think, they are small and bit grubby, any way to clean them and enlarge ? would be nice to put them on site. thanks glenn

stein
9th October 2007, 18:39
The enlagement should be simple: just scan them and crop them. Most scanner programs has the ability to crop, (cut away what's unwanted in the outer edges of the photo), if yours has not, just download a simple free graphic program like irfanview. (See thread in this category: "Fooling around with photoshop"). The cleaning: just use a soft cloth (No water!!!). And if they're still grubby: never mind, there's a couple of grubby Suez photos here already.
regards, Stein.

makko
9th October 2007, 19:08
Stein,

Suez has always been grubby!! You would need more than a cloth to clean it up!!! LoL!

Rgds,

Dave

marinero
9th October 2007, 19:45
The only photos I remember from Suez are not the sort for a family friendly site such as SN.
Regards(Thumb)

John Rogers
9th October 2007, 20:45
If I remember the guy in the pictures was always wearing black socks,are thoses the ones you are talking about,those and Lady Chatterlys Lover.
No never seen them.
John.

pete
9th October 2007, 21:32
A Meester, you wanna buy Dirty Picture, Dirty Photograph. Or maybe you wanna sleep wit my seester, she Eenglish teacher and all same Queen Victoria. Oh what a luverly place when viewed over the stern........................pete

benjidog
9th October 2007, 23:19
Glenn,

If you have a scanner you probably got some free software with it. Do what Stein says but check out the software. You will almost certainly be able to adjust the contrast and brightness, enlarge the photo and clean it up a bit. You will need to read the instructions with the software.

If the photo is in reasonably good focus it is amazing what you can do with a bit of patience.

Regards,

Brian

Keltic Star
10th October 2007, 03:58
A Meester, you wanna buy Dirty Picture, Dirty Photograph. Or maybe you wanna sleep wit my seester, she Eenglish teacher and all same Queen Victoria. Oh what a luverly place when viewed over the stern........................pete

"You say all you want is British Consul, OK can arrange but very very expensive"

OLD STRAWBERRY
10th October 2007, 07:27
I have had a certain amount of success by placing a small pic in the the centre on a sheet of A4 printing paper ( using Tiny balls of Bluetack) and then scanning to file. Then using MG1 Photo suite 111SE and as Stein has said crop off the white. This will bring your pic to a reasonable size, I can also use Photo Suite to remove blemishes and scratches also enhance.

rickles23
10th October 2007, 07:28
Send them to me via email and I'll have a go.

Regards

rickles23
10th October 2007, 07:35
Nearly forgot.

In Photoshop there is an automatic way to straighten and crop a photo(s) if the photo(s) are put in a scanner slightly askew.

marinero
10th October 2007, 09:39
If I remember the guy in the pictures was always wearing black socks,are thoses the ones you are talking about,those and Lady Chatterlys Lover.
No never seen them.
John.

John you are spot on, in fact I forgot to collect my socks after the photo shoot and they were not black but dark blue.
I hope we haven't hijacked what started out as a serious thread.
Regards (Thumb)

steviej
10th October 2007, 14:23
You can crop and straighten a photo in photoshop elements. Use the cropping tool. to resize. if you want to straighten the photo use the cropping tool as normal. Tick preferences in the box when you drag to resize from a corner it will pull at an angle. when you have found the desired angle press the crop tool and this will straighten the photo
Put them on a scanner and uploald them to SN. I am sure there are plenty of photoshop experts.

glennmiddlemiss
10th October 2007, 17:27
thanks for info lads, never got to suez, it was blocked in my days at sea, have found about 30, me old dads, when he was stationed there with r a f , cheers .

Hamish Mackintosh
13th October 2007, 00:43
thanks for info lads, never got to suez, it was blocked in my days at sea, have found about 30, me old dads, when he was stationed there with r a f , cheers .

Don't forget George Rhobie(Robe-Roby ah whatever)he had some great pictures,(Cloud) but not of the canal