Intrducing myself: Peter Steele

Peter Steele
7th April 2005, 11:06
(:D) I am located in New Zealand in a little town called Waiuku which is on the West Coast about 40 kilometres south of Auckland. I was born in England in June 1939. I was a steward in the British Merchant Navy from 1956 to 1961 when I emigrated to NZ.
I was with New Zealand Shipping Co, MV "Surrey", "Cumberland", "Hinakura". I did one trip on Royal Mail RMS "Darro" to South America, Buenos Aires. and a trip on the "Port Dunedin" to Australia and New Zealand.
I,d love to hear from anyone who was around at that time and particularly my old friend Peter Moreton who came from High Wycombe, Bucks.
Cheers Peter

7th April 2005, 13:22
Welcome Peter another kiwi look like us Brits are being outnumbered but all welcome with open arms

Are you sure ? It seems that most of these Kiwis are ex-pat Brits. Will the real Kiwis raise their hands ? :)

flyer682
8th April 2005, 11:02
Are you sure ? It seems that most of these Kiwis are ex-pat Brits. Will the real Kiwis raise their hands ?
My hand is raised! :p

And welcome aboard, Peter. As you can see, we enjoy a bit of banter on here.

8th April 2005, 12:28
My hand is raised! :p

Cheers Mate, nice to meet the real thing!

Dave

Jim Smith
29th April 2005, 13:00
I would just like to say
hallo to everyone. I signed on yesterday and I am just finding my way round. I joined MN in 1969 as Baker on Safmarine (Union Castle) S.A. Vaal (Transvaal Castle) then in 1970 joined Cunarder Franconia. Left in 1971 with the intention of emigrating to NZ to start up business in with my mate from college who emigrated the year before. Family illness prevented me migrating in time to take up the option and by the time (3yrs!) things resolved themselves I had somehow managed to loose track of my mate I hope you Kiwis don't rub it in and tell me what I missed - I visited NZ a couple of years ago - the most fantastic scenery in the world and great, friendly people.
Regards
Jim

flyer682
29th April 2005, 13:06
Welcome aboard, Jim. I'm a Kiwi, but I won't say a word.............
Great bunch here, enjoy the site and we look forward to your contributions.
You may like to check the "Guidelines To Posting" thread in either the Say Hello or Members Notice Board. It may help you out.

Jim Smith
29th April 2005, 14:46
Welcome aboard, Jim. I'm a Kiwi, but I won't say a word.............
Great bunch here, enjoy the site and we look forward to your contributions.
You may like to check the "Guidelines To Posting" thread in either the Say Hello or Members Notice Board. It may help you out.
Thanks for the Welcome David and your advice, I'll follow it up. Can I ask where you are in NZ. When we visited we were on the Star Princess, we stopped off at Hobart, Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland having first cruised through the Fjordland Nat. park. Christchurch was the City that really impressed me most- but I only had time for a stroll round the City centre and to stop off for a couple of beers.
I'm originaly from Manchester but now live in Euxton, Chorley, Lancashire.

Thanks
Jim

(Wave)

Jim Smith
29th April 2005, 14:58
Sorry Ron,
I didn't mean to miss you out - thanks for your welcome too. I have loads of Photos, some of which may be of interest, once I get to grips with the technology! I struggle a bit sometimes with the keyboard as I have Parkinsons - I tend to hit the wrong keys now and then so please excuse the odd spilling error.

Thanks again for making me welcome,

Jim
(Wave)

Jim Smith
29th April 2005, 15:16
Will keep in touch but have to go now and cook something up Pat before she gets home from work. Zelda! that not a name you hear everyday. Do you remember the " Bonzo Dog DooDaah Band" they had a no. 1 with "I'm the urban spaceman" and followed it up with "Beautiful Zelda", that got nowhere. Don't tell Zelda.
Bye for now - hope to meet again soon.

Jim

shipmate17
2nd June 2005, 16:41
Hi,
I sailed to NZ in 1957 on the Rangitoto,returned on the Rangitata in1959.Was only 17 on my first trip to NZ helped to build the now defunct Power Station at Mere Mere.Mercer.spent 2 great years there.returned in 2003 just in time to see it before it is finally demolished.
Cant wait for a 3rd trip.(super country).
cheers.
shipmate17