Fly ash sluurry vessel. Stella North and South Power Station on the tyne

david freeman
11th October 2007, 19:41
The flat irons Bobbie Shaftoe, Bessie Surtees and one other used to pass up and down the Tyne passed Palmers Hebburn where I did my yard experirence in late 62. What was the name of the third fly ash vessel, or where all 3 colliers/ fly ash vessels.(Thumb)

awateah2
11th October 2007, 19:46
'Hexhamshire Lass', Later sold and converted to a Sand suction dredger owned I believe by a company 'Northwood' ? in Fareham, Hampshire.
Regards

captkenn
11th October 2007, 22:35
Then there was the 'Northumbrian Water' carrying sludge and from Blyth power staion the mv 'MVA' (MegaVolts and Amps)

johnalderman
12th October 2007, 10:08
The Fly ash vessels although built in the Flat iron style were smaller than the flat iron colliers, they just ran from the power station to the dump three miles or so off the Tyne.

Pat McCardle
12th October 2007, 11:16
There was another one that used to run out of Wearmouth & Harton pits with stone, Alderney?

david freeman
15th October 2007, 18:52
'Hexhamshire Lass', Later sold and converted to a Sand suction dredger owned I believe by a company 'Northwood' ? in Fareham, Hampshire.
Regards Thanks for the info.

captkenn
16th October 2007, 00:41
The Fly ash vessels although built in the Flat iron style were smaller than the flat iron colliers, they just ran from the power station to the dump three miles or so off the Tyne.
Their size was controlled by the fact that they went up the Tyne as far as Stella even beyond the Anglo Great Lakes at Newburn berth where some coasters went. You wouldn't get much bigger up there now than the rowing eights which still sail there. It is well silted now.

hindar
18th July 2008, 02:54
I worked for S.C. in 1974-5 as Office Junior then Agency Clerk, and there were also the hopper barges David Marley and, out of Blyth, the Sir Fon. Also at that time I acted as Agency Clerk when the CEGB colliers Charles H Merz and Sir Johnstone Wright were sold -both to new Greek owners- one I can remember being renamed the Fanis, which we youngsters in the office had a good laugh at, though it narrowly got beaten in the comedy ship name stakes by the vessel Pinas 1 which came into Albert Edward Dock in the Tyne with a cargo of timber in 1975.

graham atkinson
18th July 2008, 19:57
Latter years Adderstone worked out of the Wear and Tyne and after she and Sir Fon, which was bought by Stevies and renamed Goldstone (she never traded and was laid up at Jarrow) were sold for scrap they were replaced by the pusher tug Weswear and the Bumblebee barges, numbers 1-4.
They were owned by Switzver and the tug alternated between Tyne and Wear, ie one was being loaded on the Wear as he was pushing one out from the Tyne.
At Blyth we always reckoned that MVA stood for Motor Vessel Ash.

Graham

aleccrichton1982
20th March 2009, 19:54
Then there was the 'Northumbrian Water' carrying sludge and from Blyth power staion the mv 'MVA' (MegaVolts and Amps)

before the mva you had the sir fon i went out in her before i went to sea scool.i was as sick as a dog.

newburn43
10th July 2014, 13:51
The flat irons Bobbie Shaftoe, Bessie Surtees and one other used to pass up and down the Tyne passed Palmers Hebburn where I did my yard experirence in late 62. What was the name of the third fly ash vessel, or where all 3 colliers/ fly ash vessels.(Thumb)

Hi. The third hopper barge was the. M.V. Hexamshire Lass. I lived in Newburn and before I went to sea in 1960, you could see all three ships
arriving/leaving Stella Power Station. Hope this answers your query.

david freeman
22nd August 2014, 18:44
Hi. The third hopper barge was the. M.V. Hexamshire Lass. I lived in Newburn and before I went to sea in 1960, you could see all three ships
arriving/leaving Stella Power Station. Hope this answers your query.

Thanks, I assume these ships have now gone to the great redemere with thier crews.B\)