Who Do You Think You Are...?

tedc
12th October 2007, 17:32
Fellow ex Brocklebankers might have shared my enjoyment of this programme last week.
It was filmed, largely, in Calcutta and thereabouts as the subject, who started out believing he was of Scottish Descent, found out that he was decended from Anglo Indian stock.

I had not understood what the term Anglo Indian actually meant and, for those who share my ignorance, I was intrigued to find that the occupying British army encouraged troops to marry local girls and the term was created to cater for any offspring. i.e An Anglo Indian is someone with a British Father and an Indian Mother.

The filming in and around Calcutta (and Kidderpore where the subject's family came from) was terrific - you could almost taste the scent!

For those who missed it - there'll be a repeat I bet.

Chouan
12th October 2007, 20:15
I found the filming near Kidderpore quite moving. I found the place fairly unpleasant whilst visiting the place with Ellermans in the 70's, but, perhaps through rose coloured glasses .....

Johnstokoe
20th October 2007, 18:44
Video and DVD recorders at the ready. I missed the Alastair McGowan programme as well. However a signed version (which I think offers a slightly smaller image) begins at 0055 hours on Friday 26th. October (videoplus 1448256)- that's next Friday, so not long to wait.
Regards to all - John

Philthechill
22nd October 2007, 07:11
Fellow ex Brocklebankers might have shared my enjoyment of this programme last week.
It was filmed, largely, in Calcutta and thereabouts as the subject, who started out believing he was of Scottish Descent, found out that he was decended from Anglo Indian stock.

I had not understood what the term Anglo Indian actually meant and, for those who share my ignorance, I was intrigued to find that the occupying British army encouraged troops to marry local girls and the term was created to cater for any offspring. i.e An Anglo Indian is someone with a British Father and an Indian Mother.

The filming in and around Calcutta (and Kidderpore where the subject's family came from) was terrific - you could almost taste the scent!

For those who missed it - there'll be a repeat I bet. I do find it somewhat extraordinary that someone who sailed with Brock's didn't understand what the term "Anglo-Indian" meant! Obviously you led a sheltered life and didn't explore the "delights" of Isiah's Bar in Free School Street when you went to Cal!!! Salaams Phil (A regular visitor to Isiah's!!!)(Hippy)

skymaster
22nd October 2007, 14:20
I agree Phil,I was a frequent visitor myself[those Rum&Cokes]The seamans mission was also a great place to meet dance and***** with" Chee Chee's "who where I believe offspring of the aformentioned liasons!

skymaster

tedc
22nd October 2007, 16:01
Hi Phil!

It was the "precise" meaning I was referring to - i.e involving British Soldier father and Indian Mother.

In my naivety I may have chanced upon Isaiah's bar (purely for research) and met many men/women of mixed race - but not necessarily fitting exactly the program's definition.

If there were any offsping of MN personnel there I think they would be called something quite different........!

I wonder what...?

(Hippy)

Philthechill
22nd October 2007, 17:07
I agree Phil,I was a frequent visitor myself[those Rum&Cokes]The seamans mission was also a great place to meet dance and***** with" Chee Chee's "who where I believe offspring of the aformentioned liasons!

skymaster The rum, in the rum and cokes, was "Gurkha Rum" if memory serves me correctly! I don't think it could have been too powerful as I used to drink huge amounts of them without any apparent effect i.e whilst downing them I never seemed to get "Brahms & Liszt" nor did I have "a head like a toyshop" the following morning!! Did you ever used to call at Nizam's, on the way back to the ship? I seem to recall it was near Chowringhee, but I could be wrong. You would tell the taxi-driver, "Nizam's jarner!" and when the taxi pulled-up outside you'd get the urchin, who rushed up, to take your order and then you'd wait, in the taxi (as only a pukka sahib would!) until your order was brought. You'd dash the urchin a few pice, for bringing it, and also the cost of your grub. I always used to get chicken pirata's (a sort of ice-cream cornet shaped chupatti stuffed full of chicken and veg). I was warned never to get the chicken pirata "with everything" as they were full of the hottest chillies ever discovered and would need toilet rolls to be stored in the fridge to combat the "Ring of fire" resulting!! Course clever b****r me decides I can manage one of them, one night, and duly ordered "Chicken pirata---------with everything". HOT!? HOT!? You'd better believe it!! I took one mouthful and then gave the rest to the taxi-driver who thought all his Christmases had come at once at getting a free supper as well as a fare out to Kidderpore!!!!!! My gob was on fire and, when I got back on board and had a can of Tennents, I swear I breathed superheated steam out!!! Happy days!!! Salaams Phil(Hippy)