Hi all anyone know barry stokes

crazytaxi9
14th October 2007, 15:46
would love to hear from anyone who remembers my father in law Barry stokes i am looking through sites for him to browse on when his internet gets connected he does not get out much due to ill health and thought if he could get online it would give him something to he is one of the old deep water skippers cheers all

K urgess
14th October 2007, 17:19
There you go. Copied it here as well just in case someone only looks at the fishing vessel thread.

crazytaxi9
14th October 2007, 18:01
many thanks

nicolina
14th October 2007, 21:49
Hallo Crazytaxi:
Regarding skipper Barry Stokes he is mentioned as the mate of the Grimsby trawler Notts County when she went ashore in Isafjord in NW Iceland in January 1968 the same time as 3 Hull trawlers where lost/missing.
You can go to:www.yorkshirepride.co.uk.
He skippered trawlers for both Ross Group and Consols as well as BUT.
Just to mention some of his command:

Ross Ramillies+Kandahar+Kipling+Kelvin
Churchill Port Vale Barnsley
Northern Sea + Queen Vianova

afewleft
15th October 2007, 12:58
Hi crazytaxi9,
I sailed with Barry in Consol's, think he was skipper of the Barnsley. New his Dad, and brothers John, & Wally also skippers. I went to school with John.

regards

nicolina
15th October 2007, 22:50
Hallo Crazy Taxi:
Have been informed by a friend in GY that your father in love Barry Stokes was the unsong hero of the Notts County disaster.
Wish him all the best.

Papatango
21st February 2008, 22:20
I'm trying to find out about Robert Bowie, who I believe was the one hand that perished when the other 18 crew was rescued. He only appears to be referred to as 'one man died' and not by name in all the reports I have read about this tragic incident.

mattarosa
21st February 2008, 23:03
I'm trying to find out about Robert Bowie, who I believe was the one hand that perished when the other 18 crew was rescued. He only appears to be referred to as 'one man died' and not by name in all the reports I have read about this tragic incident.

Times, Feb 7, 1968
Storm flung boat over top of trawler

The body of a Grimsby fisherman who died when the trawler Notts County went aground off the north-west coast of Iceland on Monday may still be on board the vessel as she lies swept by heavy seas.
The man, who has been officially reported dead by the vessel's owners, Consolidated Fisheries, is Mr Robert Bowie, aged 23, a deckhand lodging at Carnforth Crescent, Grimsby.
Yesterday, while the authorities tried to trace Mr Bowie's family - he has a wife and baby daughter living somewhere in the Glasgow area - the Icelandic fishery protection vessel Odinn was preparing to return to the Notts County to try to recover the body....

I can send you more of this, if you would like, the rest of the article is a first hand account of the grounding by another member of the crew.

Robert Bowie was also mentioned at the enquiry (when he was stated to be 22). I have a bit of info about that too.

Please send me a private message if you are interested and I will send you what I have over the weekend.

Hilary

mattarosa
22nd February 2008, 12:33
Hallo Crazytaxi:
Regarding skipper Barry Stokes he is mentioned as the mate of the Grimsby trawler Notts County when she went ashore in Isafjord in NW Iceland in January 1968 the same time as 3 Hull trawlers where lost/missing.
You can go to:www.yorkshirepride.co.uk.
He skippered trawlers for both Ross Group and Consols as well as BUT.
Just to mention some of his command:

Ross Ramillies+Kandahar+Kipling+Kelvin
Churchill Port Vale Barnsley
Northern Sea + Queen Vianova

Hi Nicolina
You always seem so very knowledgeable about skippers of Grimsby trawlers, I don't know if this is the result of personal knowledge, research, or whatever, but it is very impressive and helpful.

Have you heard anything about a skipper called Sturman in the 60s or 70s? I don't know the first name but he may have skippered a Consolidated trawler, and he may have run one aground.

Hilary

Steve Farrow
22nd February 2008, 13:10
Hi Hilary,
The New Clee Consitutional Club in Cleethorpes was a regular watering hole for many trawler skippers out of GY.
Andy Sturman who you mention, John Loads ( A natural comedian ) Barry Stokes, Derek Brown, Bill Hardie senior, Bill Hardie junior (Wiggy), Aussie Johansen, Chris Jensen, George 'Stumpy' Reynolds, and many others were regulars along with mates, engineers and deck crews. The conversation was often colourful, entertaining and an education! Alas many have now departed and we are all the worse off for it.
Regards
Steve

mattarosa
22nd February 2008, 14:01
Hi Hilary,
The New Clee Consitutional Club in Cleethorpes was a regular watering hole for many trawler skippers out of GY.
Andy Sturman who you mention, John Loads ( A natural comedian ) Barry Stokes, Derek Brown, Bill Hardie senior, Bill Hardie junior (Wiggy), Aussie Johansen, Chris Jensen, George 'Stumpy' Reynolds, and many others were regulars along with mates, engineers and deck crews. The conversation was often colourful, entertaining and an education! Alas many have now departed and we are all the worse off for it.
Regards
Steve

Hi Steve
Thanks. I would have loved to spend an evening there - did they let women in?
Hilary

Steve Farrow
22nd February 2008, 20:39
A definate no until about 15 years ago....................but thankfully things had to change!
Steve

Steve Farrow
22nd February 2008, 20:41
I heard today that Barry Stokes passed away this week. Can anybody confirm this?
Steve

nicolina
22nd February 2008, 21:48
Just had the news from an friend in GY that Barry passed away on Saturday.
Hopefully someone will write him an obituary and mention his heroic effort when the Notts County went ashore!!!!!
Regarding Andrew Sturman i have him as skipper on following trawlers:
Afridi 1958
York City 1960
Notts Forest 1961 1963+64+65+65+66+67
Carlisle 1961(Maiden trip)1962 1970
Port Vale 1968 1970+71
Blackburn Rovers 1969
Everton 1970
Ross Lynx 1972
Names are collected from various Top ship landing lists so are very limited!!!!

mattarosa
22nd February 2008, 21:59
Thanks for the information.
Hilary

Yorkie Johnny
7th September 2012, 13:23
John Davidson (Yorky Johnny) was on board the Notts County when she went aground 1968. John now Lives in the port of Timaru New Zealand and still very active and working every day!

Yorkie Johnny
7th September 2012, 13:29
There you go. Copied it here as well just in case someone only looks at the fishing vessel thread.

John Davidson (Yorky Johnny) was on board the Notts County when she went aground 1968. John now Lives in the port of Timaru New Zealand and still very active and working every day!

Mick Sturman
8th May 2014, 13:05
Just had the news from an friend in GY that Barry passed away on Saturday.
Hopefully someone will write him an obituary and mention his heroic effort when the Notts County went ashore!!!!!
Regarding Andrew Sturman i have him as skipper on following trawlers:
Afridi 1958
York City 1960
Notts Forest 1961 1963+64+65+65+66+67
Carlisle 1961(Maiden trip)1962 1970
Port Vale 1968 1970+71
Blackburn Rovers 1969
Everton 1970
Ross Lynx 1972
Names are collected from various Top ship landing lists so are very limited!!!!

Andy was my Dad, and I used to go on pleasure trips with him during summer holidays. 1st time was on Carlisle and I was 7yrs old at the time.
Still got photos from it.

Mick

Yorkie Johnny
14th August 2014, 02:21

Yorky Johnny (John Davidson) was with (the Scotsman) Robert Bowie when the life boat capsized with Robert already inside, John was hanging from the side of the Notts County trying to board the life boat when it capsized. At the Court inquiry into the grounding of the Notts County and death of Robert Bowie, John Davidson walked out of the court, he was ordered to return, but refused stating they (the Court) didn't want to know or believe "The Truth" about the incident.
John Davidson (Yorky Johnny) now lives in Timaru, New Zealand still actively involved in the fishing industry and working from home as a net maker, John also trains as a 5th Dan Black belt in Seido Karate in Timaru and teaches Seido Karate in the near by town of Geraldine.

Yorkie Johnny
14th August 2014, 02:26
would love to hear from anyone who remembers my father in law Barry stokes i am looking through sites for him to browse on when his internet gets connected he does not get out much due to ill health and thought if he could get online it would give him something to he is one of the old deep water skippers cheers all

Yorky Johnny (John Davidson) was with (the Scotsman) Robert Bowie when the life boat capsized with Robert already inside, John was hanging from the side of the Notts County trying to board the life boat when it capsized. At the Court inquiry into the grounding of the Notts County and death of Robert Bowie, John Davidson walked out of the court, he was ordered to return, but refused stating they (the Court) didn't want to know or believe "The Truth" about the incident.
John Davidson (Yorky Johnny) now lives in Timaru, New Zealand still actively involved in the fishing industry and working from home as a net maker, John also trains as a 5th Dan Black belt in Seido Karate in Timaru and teaches Seido Karate in the near by town of Geraldine.

iceland68
24th November 2014, 10:26
[The truth of the last 48 hours of the NOTTS COUNTY is only known by the crew who were there on that voyage.
What came out at the inquest by the Officers should have started with "Once upon a time" John did the right thing walking out, Robert bowie was my best friend at the time, we had sailed on a few ships together.
There were more stories than truths in what was published in the media both locally and in the national press.

To anyone who wants the "Timeline of the last 48 Hours" I as a member of the crew have that information.

QUOTE=Yorkie Johnny;988481]Yorky Johnny (John Davidson) was with (the Scotsman) Robert Bowie when the life boat capsized with Robert already inside, John was hanging from the side of the Notts County trying to board the life boat when it capsized. At the Court inquiry into the grounding of the Notts County and death of Robert Bowie, John Davidson walked out of the court, he was ordered to return, but refused stating they (the Court) didn't want to know or believe "The Truth" about the incident.
John Davidson (Yorky Johnny) now lives in Timaru, New Zealand still actively involved in the fishing industry and working from home as a net maker, John also trains as a 5th Dan Black belt in Seido Karate in Timaru and teaches Seido Karate in the near by town of Geraldine.[/QUOTE]