MAGISTER -ex- ALBANO

julian anstis
7th April 2005, 17:14
Can anyone enlighten me with the history of this old girl seen in Kingston harbour Jamaica in 1969. She was built at Hartlepool in 1947, 2239tns and was previously named the ALBANO.
Who was she built for and what was her trade or routes was Albano her original name ......??

photo courtesy P.W.Hobday.

Fairfield
7th April 2005, 21:19
Possibly an Ellerman/s Wilson ship originally with a name like ALBANO.

Doug H
8th April 2005, 01:40
Julian: Pardon my ignorance but I see many references and acknowledgements to P.W.Hobday on the site. Could you or somebody else please tell me who he is/was and a bit more about him? Look forward to response(s) - Doug H

julian anstis
8th April 2005, 13:17
Julian: Pardon my ignorance but I see many references and acknowledgements to P.W.Hobday on the site. Could you or somebody else please tell me who he is/was and a bit more about him? Look forward to response(s) - Doug H

Private Message on the way Doug!

Fergus 62
8th April 2005, 20:38
Albano.. Built 1947 by William Gray & Co West Hartepool. Sailed for Ellerman Wilson Line until 1962 when sold to Cayman Island Shipping Co and renamed "Magister". Resold 1972 to Amagua Line Armdrs Marittma renamed "Peten". A Ellerman Wilson ship she would have traded from UK East Coast to European destinations.

Vindi55
14th April 2005, 01:22
Ellerman & Wilson also sailed from Hull to Canada I sailed on Railto, Marengo to Canada
and several trips to Italy on Dago. Dimly recall Albano seem to remeber it was on the Baltic run

julian anstis
14th April 2005, 10:08
Thanks guys......begining to piece her history together now.

Dave Edge
21st May 2005, 01:52
Just to finish her off; the "Peten" was sold to Pakistani breakers in 1974 and arrived Karachi 6 November that year.
Dave Edge.

Tom Haywood
25th May 2005, 01:17
Magister, was operated by Cayman Islands Co. 2,200 tons
Single screw recip and lp turb. 13 knots
Grey, Hartlepool 1947. 12 pass as built
Sisters: Angelo, Ariosto
Similar: Domino, Verge (ex-Dago)

Tom Haywood

mick Wright
2nd October 2005, 16:44
I am looking for info and hopefully pictures of the following vessels for an old seadog friend of mine,who now wears dance shoes instead of seaboots.

ss Avisvale
ss Bowcombe

Thanks Guys hopefully.

Wave Dancer

R58484956
2nd October 2005, 17:43
AVISVALE Ex Ocean Faith 1949 7183 tons built 1942 by Todd-Bath Portland. 425.1 x 57.0 x 34.8 3 cyl up & downer. engines by General machinery Hamilton O.Owners Ascot shipping Co. Registered London. British flag .Code flags MAPW. (Ascot had 2 ships the other being Avisvale nearly same spec.)

BOWCOMBE EX Colwyn 1949, ex Bowcombe1946 built 1943 by SP Austin Sunderland.
311.4 x 44.5 x 19.3. 3 cyl up & downer, engines by NE marine. Owners Stephenson Clark Reg; London. British flag. Code flags GCMW

Go to http://www.chesterahoy.com/ships/f2.htm for photo of Avisdale.
PS Avisdale had an unusual sloping funnel top for an "Ocean"

ruud
2nd October 2005, 18:21
I am looking for info and hopefully pictures of the following vessels for an old seadog friend of mine,who now wears dance shoes instead of seaboots.

ss Avisvale
ss Bowcombe

Thanks Guys hopefully.

Wave Dancer
Ahoy,
Are these you're looking for?:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1566/avisvale7vd.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=avisvale7vd.jpg)
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4267/bowcombe18sb.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bowcombe18sb.jpg)

sam2182sw
2nd October 2005, 20:54
yes that is the ALBANOex wilson line of HULL she was one of the butter boats she used to run to DENMARK SOME TIMES RETURNING TO LONDON OR TO HULL riverside quey. loaded will danish bacon and danih butter in wood barrels.she had a gray hull. i dry docked her in HULL dry docks.and had the plesure of burning her name plates of and changing her name. after the loss of the butter run she did some runs up the great lakes.
sam

collin
9th February 2006, 02:22
The ALBANO..She was my last ship in EWL as a cadet in 1956..We used to berth in Millwall Dock and load general cargo and cars for Stockholm via the Kiel Canal and then back load rolls of paper from various Swedish ports ....she did well lasting until 1974...Collin

joe donovan
4th November 2007, 01:45
Thanks guys......begining to piece her history together now.

1951 I was galley boy on the Albano. Hays Wharf in the pool of London to copenhagen. One member of the crew I well remember had the nickname of PLUM. Big guy tattoos all over.

Joe.

melliget
18th November 2007, 01:32
Can anyone enlighten me with the history of this old girl seen in Kingston harbour Jamaica in 1969. She was built at Hartlepool in 1947, 2239tns and was previously named the ALBANO.
Who was she built for and what was her trade or routes was Albano her original name ......??

Julian.

A little on MAGISTER from an article in The Times.

The Times, Tue, 15 Mar 1966
Ships That Brave The U.S. Quarantine

The only ship in [Havana] harbour just now flying
the Red Ensign is the Magister (2,750 tons),
a cargo ship registered in the Cayman
Islands, operated from Jamaica and now
under charter to a Canadian company. She
was built in 1948 for the Baltic trade and
has tramped all over the world, including
a regular trade to American east coast ports
and the lakes.

The crew make no secret of their regret
that the Cuban charter has put her on the
American blacklist. Jamaican and Cayman
Island seamen know the United States ports
as well as any, and some of them have
worked solely in the American coastal trade
for years on end, nor do they find Cuba in
any sense exotic.

The skipper is Captain Roy Scott, whose
grandfather was shipwrecked on the Cayman
Islands and brought his family from Scot-
land to settle here.

Captain Scott is 52, has been at sea for
34 years and a master for 22.

regards,
Martin

claude meldrum
18th January 2013, 14:44
In 1965 I started a messenger service on the Montreal Waterfront to service the transportation of seaman. At approximately at the same time I secured a steamship agency named Inland Shipping Agency and I had one ship to handle which was the Magister. I still have a stowage plan that I made up with the help of my Dad Captain Ronald Meldrum who was at the time marine superintendent for March Shipping Agency in Montreal. Unfortunately I cannot remember the Captain's name, but we became good friends and when he was in port we would always have lunch in China Town. The Captain loved it there and we always had a great time together. Finding a photo of this fine ship on this site was very exciting for me. I will add it to my collection of ships that my Dad served on from 1921 right up to his last vessel as master in 1961. I have photos of every ship my Dad sailed on which took 5 years of research. If anyone has any info as to the Captains name of the Magister in 1965 I would appreciate any info you could offer me. Thank you so much.

guinnessmick
13th May 2013, 16:17
i did my first trip to sea on the albano. i joined her in the dry-dock in alex dock in hull on the 10/11/59 4 days after leaving sea school. what a trip that was we dragged anchor in a storm off crete and ended up aground where we spent all christmas(10 days in all) then 3 greek tugs dragged us off but it didnt put me off going to sea best days of my life