Edinburgh Castle

Steve
27th March 2004, 10:47
Edinburgh Castle

Kaskazi
14th January 2007, 19:08
Saw her in Cape Town, June 1969, when I passed through on the Windsor Castle. Happy days!

william dillon
14th January 2007, 20:29
Saw her in Cape Town, June 1969, when I passed through on the Windsor Castle. Happy days!
(==D)
Nice picture, do you know the name of the City Boat in the pic. ??

Kaskazi
14th January 2007, 21:02
Sorry - I saw it there but couldn't fix on a name. Same goes for the tugs too.
I guess it's a long time ago and at that time, I really didn't give much notice to names unless they were "famous" in some way.

I have only recently found this great site and have for the last hour or so been trying to read some of the dos and don'ts - mainly because I was trying to find how to post multiple images. Now I know they are not always welcome and will be careful, but is there some trick to it? I tried to post 2, but maybe a moderator stepped in and struck the second, which, I must admit, was not too different, so if that's what happened, he probably saved me some embarrassment - thanks for that!

Watch for a few more UC photos in the next little while - Windsor, Kenya, Rhodesia, Braemar.

danube4
14th January 2007, 23:19
Billy, i thinkthe Ellerman ship is, City of York or City of Exeter.
Barney.

Kaskazi
15th January 2007, 00:17
I tried to post 2, but maybe ...

Now I see there are in fact two pictures attached to my original post. But the markers are so very close together, and not always visible (I only ever see a hyphen) - the best guide is a slow scroll watching for the little hand to light up a link - is this everyone's experience or is my computer playing tricks?

Stephen J. Card
15th January 2007, 11:59
[QUOTE=Kaskazi;101036]Now I see there are in fact two pictures attached to my original post.QUOTE]

Magnificent photos! Exceptionally clear.

The Ellerman ship could be one of four sisterships... City of Port Elizabeth, City of York, City of Durban or City of Exeter.

Of the two tugs, the fellow at left is the DANIE HUGO and the tug astern is the T.S. McEWEN of 1925. The McEWEN was stripped and then sunk off Robben Island in June 1977 after a career 52 years while the 1959-built HOGO was withdrawn in December 1984. What a shame that one of these steam tugs was not preserved.

Stephen

Refs: A Century of South African Steam Tugs - David Reynolds 1992.

jock paul
15th January 2007, 18:41
Hi Stephen, 1 tug, the (initial?) CAMBELL is preserved in Durban. I was on her when I joined the S.A. Harbour Service in the mid 60's. Beautiful vessels. I didn't stay long in that service as the then government, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that all their staff had to pass an exam in the Afrikaans language. I have nothing against the language, but the way it was done was so heavy handed that I left in disgust. Back to coasters!
regards, Jock

Kaskazi
15th January 2007, 19:41
Thanks Stephen. Perhaps you already know this, but I see on TugsList that Danie Hugo was eventually beached in Namibia, broken up, and now in part forms the basis for the popular Tug Boat Restaurant in Swakopmund. It is said that the wheel house is still recognisable, but fom the photos I have seen, I think you would be hard pressed!

I like (also from the TugsList), the McEwen's nicknames: "'SMOKY SUE' for her smoking capacities or 'GREEDY SUE' for her coal consumption"

Stephen J. Card
15th January 2007, 20:48
Hi Stephen, 1 tug, the (initial?) CAMBELL is preserved in Durban. I was on her when I joined the S.A. Harbour Service in the mid 60's. Beautiful vessels. I didn't stay long in that service as the then government, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that all their staff had to pass an exam in the Afrikaans language. I have nothing against the language, but the way it was done was so heavy handed that I left in disgust. Back to coasters!
regards, Jock

Jock,

That must be the A.M. CAMPBELL... withdrawn in 1982. I think I new updated book of SA tugs!

Back in 1981 I was in Durban loading citrus on LOCH MAREE. The F.C. STURROCK was berthed near us so i went over to take a look. Their Second Engineer was on board raising steam for the next day. Made a tour of her spotless engineroom and spent an interesting and enjoyable couple of hours in the messroom enjoying a beer with the 2/E.

Did you sail with Unicorn? I know one lad who was with them, Robbie Morgan from Seychelles. He was cadet with Unicorn. I believe he ended up as Harbour Master in Seyschelles.

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
15th January 2007, 20:55
Thanks Stephen. Perhaps you already know this, but I see on TugsList that Danie Hugo was eventually beached in Namibia, broken up, and now in part forms the basis for the popular Tug Boat Restaurant in Swakopmund. It is said that the wheel house is still recognisable, but fom the photos I have seen, I think you would be hard pressed!

I like (also from the TugsList), the McEwen's nicknames: "'SMOKY SUE' for her smoking capacities or 'GREEDY SUE' for her coal consumption"

Reynolds mentions that she was also very difficult to steer ... " ... as hard to steer as a Model T Ford!"

Stephen

(looking forward to your next set of photos!)

Stephen J. Card
15th January 2007, 21:31
Hi Stephen, 1 tug, the (initial?) CAMBELL is preserved in Durban.
regards, Jock

Jock...
Just found a note that say that it is the J.R. More that is preserved at the Durban Maritime Museum.

Stephen

Kaskazi
16th January 2007, 01:27
JR More - see the stunning photo at http://www.tugtalk.co.uk/images/2005/03/67926.jpg

And the equally stunning one of Danie H at www.tugtalk.co.uk/images/2005/03/67918.jpg

And a nice colour one of the McEwen at http://www.tugtalk.co.uk/images//2004/09/51546.jpg

Stephen - I put up one or two others in new threads, but rather than me sending all sorts to Nostalgia, go poke around at http://www.mccrow.org.uk/EastAfrica/Index%20East%20Africa.htm
You'll find some planes and trains there too. I have a bit in most pages, but the RN section is mainly mine (quality quite variable though).

Don't be surprised if you see some misnamed UC ships (my nostalgia thread "Puzzle Castles" might hopefully set some of the record straight)

jock paul
16th January 2007, 18:40
Jock...
Just found a note that say that it is the J.R. More that is preserved at the Durban Maritime Museum.

Stephen

Hi Stephen. Sorry, it is the J.R.MORE. They were practically sister ships. I should know better, I live in Durban! Put it down to old age and wishful thinking. a contributary factor to my leaving that service was that they transferred me from the tugs to the suction dredger BONTEBOK. Stuck down the pumproom for most of the day wasn't my idea of fun.
One incident from my 1st. day on the tugs springs to mind. There was the Chief, the Second and me. It was usual for the tug to take a swing round the bay before doing any 'jobs'. The Sec told me to handle the engines and went on deck. What he didn't tell me was that they operated at reduced speed in harbour. So, when I got the ring Full Ahead on both engines that's what they got! Careering up the channel in excess of 12 knots. A bit of 'please explain' after that. Regards Jock.