Queen Mary

Bob S
8th April 2005, 16:05
One of my earliest shots using an old box camera. QUEEN MARY outward bound passing Cowes Isle of Wight during the summer of 1964.

R798780
8th April 2005, 18:39
Beatiful sight. I used to watch the four big liners ,Mary, Liz, France and United States, in the Solent when I did six months at Warsash in '67. The Mary was, in my eyes, the best looking of the lot, she had an elegance that few other ships have achieved.

Bob S
8th April 2005, 20:15
Yes, I took "long distance" photo's of them all, unfortuately in days before I owned a telephoto lens. They don't enlarge too well, the Queen Mary was the better shot of them all and as you can see, detail just disappears.

Jan Hendrik
23rd September 2005, 10:46
Queen Mary drawn by John Gardner

copyright: Hempel A/S, Copenhagen 09/90

Particulars of this vessel are well known, she also conquered the Blue Riband in 1936 with 30.63 knots, in 1938 once more after losing it temporarily to the Normandie, and she held this prestigious trophee until 1952, mostly surpassing 31 knots.

Doug Rogers
23rd September 2005, 11:46
Fantastic Jan, thanks so much for sharing that gem with us.
Cheers..

Jan Hendrik
23rd September 2005, 12:45
Many more to come Doug

janbonde
23rd September 2005, 19:15
Do you site members think it was right for the Richard Bransen craft to take the Blue Riband from the Untied States,there is no comparison to 52000t of ship,or the previous holder 73000t against a fast cat as far as i am concerned it should have stayed where it was until a ship of the same tonnage or there abouts came along,even a container ship

Gulpers
24th September 2005, 07:15
janbonde,

I sailed on gas turbine powered container ships which were more than capable of achieving Blue Riband times however, I agree with your sentiments and feel that the award should remain with the historical liners.

Whilst Richard Branson's "Virgin Atlantic Challenger II" completed a record crossing in June 1986, he was denied the Blue Riband by the trustees of the award since he had broken two rules of the competition. 1) VAC II had stopped to refuel and 2) she was not classed as a commercial vessel.

You can find an interesting update on the current Blue Riband status at http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/scandlines_cat_link_v.htm

Jan Hendrik
24th September 2005, 07:35
Thanks for sharing this site with us Gulpers.
And Janbonde no way we are going to compare fast catemarans or the like with the grandeur of the old ladies.

Oil paintings of few more Blue Riband contenders will be placed under the Great Ocean Liners in due course.

Doug Rogers
24th September 2005, 08:46
Look forward to the next Jan..and completely agree with your earlier comments.

michael james
24th September 2005, 20:15
What a good thread about a Grand old Lady and the Blue Riband, Richard Bransons` efforts with Challenger 11, noble though they may be , not in the same class in my book.
RMS Queen Mary was, and still is, THE most majestic liner I have had the privilege of being overtaken by in mid Atlantic, unfortunately I didnt own a camera so no photo, I was on Brocklebanks` ss"Matra" doing all of 14.5 knots UK to USA Gulf - circa 1960 checking lifeboat stores at the time, so had a grandstand view of her from horizon to horizon.

A sight I will always treasure

william dillon
24th September 2005, 21:43
I visited "The Queen Mary" in September this year at Long Beach, California, on the guided tour the "guide" told us that she was built in Sheffield ??????.
He was soon put right.
W. Dillon.

Jan Hendrik
10th October 2005, 10:24
Some photos taken back in 1982 at a very familiar site.
It looks like there is some rust formation or just rust stains around the seams of the riveted plates in the Antifouling area.
Could have been some bad paint they were using......

Jan Hendrik
16th January 2006, 04:43
Few photos taken in 1989 whilst on tour.

R58484956
2nd February 2006, 15:22
02/02/06 poll in local rag bring the QM back to Southampton yes = 69%. no = 10% and only if economically viable 21%.

bob johnston
11th July 2006, 09:13
One of my earliest shots using an old box camera. QUEEN MARY outward bound passing Cowes Isle of Wight during the summer of 1964.

I have posted a picture of Queen Mary taken some 22 years earlier in not as grand as she looked in your picture. A friends father took this picture in Sydney harbour looking very tired but helping out carrying Aussie troops to war.

I find it interesting that in July of 1943 she took on 16683 troops from New York. It would be interesting to hear stories from some old diggers that sailed on her from Sydney stories which have been told to relatives.

My father in law sailed on Queen Elizabeth in 1941 from Sydney and at the same time Queen Mary was docked as well. He embarked with 5000 troops they where at anchor near Taronga Zoo and headed for the Suez canal.

These ships played a big part in history and it is hard to believe that they were converted at such short notice to carry so many troops.

Please go to the gallery to see the Queen Mary sorry if I posted her as Queen Mary 1 .

non descript
11th July 2006, 10:02
I have posted a picture of Queen Mary taken some 22 years earlier in not as grand as she looked in your picture. A friends father took this picture in Sydney harbour looking very tired but helping out carrying Aussie troops to war.

I find it interesting that in July of 1943 she took on 16683 troops from New York. It would be interesting to hear stories from some old diggers that sailed on her from Sydney stories which have been told to relatives.

My father in law sailed on Queen Elizabeth in 1941 from Sydney and at the same time Queen Mary was docked as well. He embarked with 5000 troops they where at anchor near Taronga Zoo and headed for the Suez canal.

These ships played a big part in history and it is hard to believe that they were converted at such short notice to carry so many troops.

Please go to the gallery to see the Queen Mary sorry if I posted her as Queen Mary 1 .

Bob J,

I have edited the photos so they now read Queen Mary and the 1 has gone - the downside is that where you had a duplicate (taken from the starboard bow) I deleted one and it has sadly taken away the thumbnail of it's twin image as well; sorry.

This does happen when the two photos are linked - sometimes linked on the PC they are downloaded from (i.e. yours) - Anyway if you post it afresh it would be best.

Kind regards
Mark

bob johnston
11th July 2006, 10:46
Thanks for editing pictures

Bob ( Sydney )

Rusty
11th July 2006, 11:59
Hi All,
I've posted a pic of the Queen Mary in the Gallery, black & white unfortunately.

Rusty

benjidog
11th July 2006, 13:04
Bob S,

I don't know if you have kept the original negatives from your box camera photo, but if you have you can often get a much better image that you can blow up from it than you could from a print. It is surprising how good the lenses were in those little cameras.

You would need a scanner that can handle negatives of the old 120 or 620 format size to do this.

Regards,

Brian

Loftybaker
22nd August 2006, 05:12
Here we have the Queen Mary on arrival in Sydney after her dash from New York 1940, the beginning of her trooping days. Bakes

dom
22nd August 2006, 06:03
nice photo,like the song says,you never know what you had till it's gone,one query are/were the funnels all the same size,if you take a line from the after funnel to the forwad one is it the same hight?

Tony Breach
22nd August 2006, 20:21
Is this lady safe? I hear that the operators have gone bust & she is closed to the public. Anyone know anything?

waimea
23rd August 2006, 09:07
My neg of QM berthing New York sometime in the early 50s. First attempt to upload pic - hope it works

Jan Hendrik
15th September 2006, 10:41
Nice model of this grand old lady.

Jeff Taylor
16th October 2006, 21:05
This past February my wife and I stayed on QM the night before we sailed to Hawaii on QM2. I had sailed many years ago on QE, and had seen QM when she was first brought to Long Beach, and have to admit that the years have not been kind to her. She looks magnificient on the outside, and they've done a nice job restoring a few of the more notable public rooms, but the accommodations and the majority of the interior are just plain tired. Except for the nostalgia I would have immediately checked out of our "deluxe" room, sorry to say, and there's something almost spooky about staying on a virtually empty 80,000 ton liner. I can't help thinking of that experience as I follow the saga of the France/Norway, and the discussion of refitting her as a hotel venue. Even with lots of volunteers, the economics of operating a preserved ship are challenging.

treeve
16th October 2006, 23:53
Just trawling through my father's scrap book,
found this one of Queen Mary on her trials, Isle of Arran.

fordy
17th October 2006, 01:35
my uncle fred was telling me the other day when he was refuelling the queen mary in the clyde when she was being used as a troop ship in WW II.

jaguar06
8th February 2007, 07:28
nice photo,like the song says,you never know what you had till it's gone,one query are/were the funnels all the same size,if you take a line from the after funnel to the forwad one is it the same hight?

I hate to revive old threads as a newbie since that's usually bad form at forums, but I noticed the question about funnel heights was not answered. The QM had funnels that diminished in height slightly from the front to the back, not unlike Normandie, but not quite so pronounced, but unlike Normandie, their other dimensions did not diminish, but only the height. Somewhere I have technical drawings that give the heights of each, but lord knows where they are. (It's probably been discussed before, but the funnels on her now are not the original riveted ones, but welded mock replacements that replaced the paper-thin ones she had when she arrived at Long Beach.)

I agree with the earlier post about the interiors of QM now looking "tired", though the major public areas seem to be well-maintained. I haven't seen the newly renovated Verandah Grill, but the pictures look like a reasonable restoration. The evening I first saw her in Long Beach, she had a fresh coat of paint for the Christmas bookings season and she made a gorgeous impression from the exterior. While tired, even many of the non-public and neglected parts of the ship are still quite regal, though. (Maybe *because* they've been non-public and neglected!)

I had a chance to talk to the lease holder while there. The most fascinating story he told was about the method for painting as much of the ship below the waterline as possible without the convenience of a drydock. He said the ship's tanks are flooded alternately to create a list to paint as much as possible. He said I'd just missed that. I'd liked to have seen it. He said it's always disconcerting to work aboard her on those days.

While laudible, I think the restoration plan publicized by the current lease-holder will probably turn out to be a bit ambitious. So much of the interior furniture and fittings have been sold off. I've come across bits of QM at auction over the last several years, including a rather impressive piano that formerly graced one of the first-class salons. Retrieving those bits seems quite unlikely. But I happily contributed what I could to the foundation supporting the effort.

Then, there's the travesty of the mechanicals. (Sad)

Jeff Taylor
8th February 2007, 14:37
The night I stayed there (February 2006) the Verandah Grille was closed for a private function, but I did manage to get a look in and it did look quite good.

Dickyboy
27th June 2009, 19:26
I found this picture while surfing.
It's called 'Ghost Ship' if I recall correctly.
I was on the Mary as Bridge Boy in 1964. We went through two hurricanes, one called 'Betsy' Outward bound, and 'Cleo' on the way back. Two of the severest hurricanes she had ever been through. Quite a few passengers hurt as I recall. Anyone recall them?

wigger
27th June 2009, 19:31
Thats one impressive, and some what scary photo Dickyboy!

shamrock
27th June 2009, 19:42
A friend of mine sent me this photo by email taken from QE II in January 2008 of Queen Victoria as they went across the Atlantic in tandem, he said 'they don't build ships like they used to', since the weather was not hurricane force, I kind of think he is right...

Dickyboy
27th June 2009, 21:25
Thats one impressive, and some what scary photo Dickyboy!
Yeah, but think what it was like for the aircraft pilot! :o

wigger
27th June 2009, 22:16
Hi Dickyboy,
My Wife said the same thing when I showed her the picture, I wonder what it was taken from?

Craig

Dickyboy
28th June 2009, 05:55
Hi Dickyboy,
My Wife said the same thing when I showed her the picture, I wonder what it was taken from?

Craig
I don't know, but I would guess that it's either a wartime photo, or one taken by the US Coastguard. Either way, I shouldn't think that the pilot was there by choice, but under orders..... 'I say Carruthers, pop down to 1000 feet, take a photo of the Queen Mary, never mind the hurricane. There's a good chap' :o

Dickyboy
28th June 2009, 06:03
A friend of mine sent me this photo by email taken from QE II in January 2008 of Queen Victoria as they went across the Atlantic in tandem, he said 'they don't build ships like they used to', since the weather was not hurricane force, I kind of think he is right...
Must have been a good swell on by the looks of it, and from just the right (Or wrong) direction. I'll bet that the Queen Victoria has very flaired bows.
I get to see most of the Liners in the Solent, including the Queen Victoria, but I haven't managed to get a photo of her yet.
Got a couple of nice ones of the QM2 though.

CommanderChuff
24th January 2013, 23:04
Good Evening All,

I am researching my next railway model (please see my other models in the introduction forum), and am seeking information on the QM in 1936.

When the QM left Southampton on her maiden voyage in 1936 the White Star Cunard had commissioned a large scale model of the ship to be on display at the quayside. This model was to 1: 58 scale and at 18 feet long weighed 1/4 ton. The model was built by John Brown, and currently is housed at the Glasgow Riverside Museum.

The model was transported to Southampton by railway in a large wooden crate and my project is a model in 7mm scale of the original model. This makes my model 5 inches long at 1:2,500 scale. The attached pictures show the progress in making the trolley, glass glass and wooden crate, with a photo of the ship for illustration purposes. The ship model is the next challenge and I think that I have enough data and information for the ship to make a start. I am using a plastic kit by Revel as a guide. The railway wagon should be fairly straight forward.

The reason for this post is to seek any pictures of the ship model on the quayside as the QM slipped her lines in 1936. I am rather guessing how the glass case and trolley should look and colours but any info would be helpful.

I am also planning make some large signs for the crate along the lines of: 'RMS Queen Mary, Celebrating the Jubilee of King George and Queen Mary in 1935, and 65 years of shipbuilding on the Clyde.
John Browns, Glasgow.'

Please do comment, many thanks and Happy New Year,

David.

sidsal
25th January 2013, 12:15
Did two crossings on the Queen Mary - 1948 and 1952 - eastbound when I was 2nd mate in Esso. Cabin class - six men to a cabin.

CommanderChuff
6th April 2013, 15:53
Update on the QM model model,

ben27
7th April 2013, 03:41
good afternoon commanderchuff,today.00:53.re:update on qm,model.great models commander.the trolleys they sit on,are they from model trains?they look pretty big.thanks for posting.have a good day.ben27

CommanderChuff
8th April 2013, 09:30
Hallo Ben,

Thanks for the kind comments, everything in the model is scratch built from plastic and wood. The ship model is 5 inches long, and the wagon is about 10 inches. It makes for a sizable wagon which is easy to handle,

David

ben27
9th April 2013, 00:38
good morning commander chuff,yesterday.18:30.thank you for your reply.have a good day.ben27