Outlook Express Newsgroups

Binnacle
19th October 2007, 10:41
Recently changed ISP from BT to Talktalk. Unfortunately I am no longer able to subscribe to Newsgroups on Outlook Express although my email works normally otherwise. I know that I can obtain Newsgroups through Google etc but I wish to avoid all the advertising bumff that goes with it. Seems strange that Talktalk do not seem to support Outlook Express Newsgroups ?. Have tried technical support a few times in distant former empire without success. Reluctant to point the finger of blame at them as there is the possibility I have been using the wrong foot to set it all up. I note in the Talktalk Welcome handbook advice is given about email on Outlook but no mention of Newsgroups. Anyone out there on Talktalk ? Has anyone any advice ?.

Andy
19th October 2007, 12:53
Talktalk originally had it on their set-up cd (no one ever got it to work), but they've now ditched newsgroups and officially do not support newsgroups.
I think your best bet is to bite the bullet (especially if you're into binaries) and use a paid newsgroup service, which may or may not use outlook express (third-party newsreaders are usually better anyway)
It's a long time since I have frequented newsgroups... all my regular ones descended into anarchy. In many ways newsgroups are a thing of the past (largely down to forums like this), and their future isn't too promising, although still beloved by some of the internet 'old guard' and 'purveyors of naughty photos', who will stay with them until the bitter end.
cheers,
Andy

melliget
19th October 2007, 14:40
When you say ditched, Andy, do you mean they don't allow news traffic (NNTP) or they just don't provide support and their own news server ? If it's just the latter, then Binnacle may be able to reconfigure his news reader, Outlook Express or otherwise, to one a the free news server out there. If they block the NNTP traffic however, then that would pretty much rule out using any sort of news reader client.

I used Forteinc's news reader Free Agent, a cut-down version of their commercial offering, for quite a few years but was disappointed recently to find that they no longer offer it as an alternative. I'm sure I've still got it on several old pc magazine cd's.. somewhere.

regards,
Martin

Plumber
19th October 2007, 20:10
I have been on talktalk ow for 12 months, and I still cannot receive mail on outlook express. Everything comes through webmail only. Even the GEEKS cannot solve it

Binnacle
19th October 2007, 22:19
Talktalk originally had it on their set-up cd (no one ever got it to work), but they've now ditched newsgroups and officially do not support newsgroups.
I think your best bet is to bite the bullet (especially if you're into binaries) and use a paid newsgroup service, which may or may not use outlook express (third-party newsreaders are usually better anyway)
It's a long time since I have frequented newsgroups... all my regular ones descended into anarchy. In many ways newsgroups are a thing of the past (largely down to forums like this), and their future isn't too promising, although still beloved by some of the internet 'old guard' and 'purveyors of naughty photos', who will stay with them until the bitter end.
cheers,
Andy

Thanks Andy and all who responded, every little piece of advice helps. I used to get soc.history.war.world-war II. this was moderated and no problem with those from whom the kindly light of reason has departed. I'm getting it now on Google.