Shaw Savill Line 150th Anniversary

brandane
20th October 2007, 08:24
The Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch will unveil a plaque to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the Shaw Savill Line, on Wellington' waterfront in October 2008. Our next National Reunion will be held the same weekend (Labour Weekend) to coincide with the commemoration.
If any former crew member, office staff or passengers who have interest in the Company wish to be part of the celebrations - I encourage you to join the Society. The UK Branch will also hold celebrations in March 2008.

Jamie Shedden
Auckland NZ

John.H.Clark
22nd October 2007, 10:02
Hi Jamie

I have still heard nothing from UK end. Is there a problem ?

regards

John

brandane
23rd October 2007, 02:36
Hi John - I have no idea of problems in UK - the secretary is Master Mariner and maybe at sea. I can pass your request onto the Chairman Roy Clarke who I am sure can organise an application form for you. If you dont get any response - contact me again ok
Cheers Jamie

John.H.Clark
29th October 2007, 14:50
Thanks Jamie,

please contact Roy. I just hope that it does not clash with a BI reunion that month. I worked for them ashore for several years

cheers John

John.H.Clark
29th December 2007, 21:22
Jamie

I have been meaning to bring you up to date. I have joined this end and look forward to an event in Oxford in March. Busy getting ready for five weeks on a Fred Olsen in January.

thank you again

John

Landlubber
30th December 2007, 09:20
Does the UK branch have a website or any contact details?

Landlubber
12th January 2008, 09:21
Thanks for the information John. I later realised that I had actually been in touch with Graham, as I have bought a few items from him on eBay. He regularly sells Shaw Savill memorablilia, much of which can be picked up quite cheaply.

ernhelenbarrett
12th January 2008, 10:53
Do any of you SSA blokes out there know of the whereabouts of James Thornton, he was 2nd Officer on the Alaric/GWRQ with me from her Maiden Voyage until I left her about 3 years later, i was Sparks there from her trials and spent many happy year on her. James and I played Canasta with accompanying tinned smoked oysters from the end of the 1200-1600 watch til
teatime. I briefly met up with him about a year later at New Years Eve in London but being with Marconi I went on different ships. James had served on many SSA ships before Alaric
Ern Barrett

Tom Haywood
12th January 2008, 12:06
Hi Jamie
Although I am not a SSA ex sea going member I have for some strange reason an affilaition for the history of Shaw Savill almost reaching an obsession. Might try to get there, might add some info to my present data bank.

brandane
20th January 2008, 02:12
Hi Tom - if interested in joining Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch - let me know . Just read your profile and see your history of shipping both at sea and shore based. There is no hard and fast rule that you had to work for the Company - we have several ex passengers who are loyal supporters of the Society - and anyone is eligible as long as they have genuine interest in the Company ~ sounds like you! By the way membership is Aust $25 per family per annum - if you can give me your email address - I can email you application form. Information regarding the 150th Anniversary Reunion will be sent out to members next week (before end of January08)
Cheers - hope to hear from you - perhaps send your private email as personal message to me.

Jamie, Auckland NZ

brandane
2nd February 2008, 00:25
Hi Ern - I see no one has responded to your request regarding James Thornton - will contact UK Society and check if anyone knows of him.

Cheers Jamie
Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch

brandane
15th February 2008, 06:49
Hi Ern - regarding your query about James Thornton - the response from the UK Shaw Savill Society
"The deck officer ledger shows a Melville James Fletcher Thornton sailing as 2/O in Alaric. Says he resigned in November 1962 - no reason given. He was born in 1926 so getting on a bit if still around - no other info available."

Sorry not much help - but I tried!

Cheers Jamie

ernhelenbarrett
17th February 2008, 08:03
Thanks Jamie on info re James Thornton, sorry its taken me so long to acknowledge but as you say we are all getting a wee bit long in the tooth
regards Ern Barrett

DESMOND GATE
10th June 2009, 00:23
Re The Shaw Savill Ships I Have A Painting Of The Oxford Which Made Several Voyages To Nz In The 1870's. I Have Tried To Find A Photo Of The Ship With Out Success. Is There One In Existence?

John Crossland
10th June 2009, 04:50
Re The Shaw Savill Ships I Have A Painting Of The Oxford Which Made Several Voyages To Nz In The 1870's. I Have Tried To Find A Photo Of The Ship With Out Success. Is There One In Existence?

Hi Desmond,

I must admit to never having heard of an "Oxford" sailing for Shaw Savill.

Nothing mentioned in The Ships List either (www.theshipslist.com (http://www.theshipslist.com))

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/shaw.html

If you do track one down, I would be interested in the details and any pictures you may obtain.

Any chance of you posting a photo of your painting ?

sam2182sw
10th June 2009, 20:23
Hi lads looking for some help my daughter is doing her fameily tree and she is looking for photo of the DORIC i928 or just before her father in law went to oz on it in 1928 any help sam

joseph maurice brew
10th June 2009, 23:34
Hi Ern - regarding your query about James Thornton - the response from the UK Shaw Savill Society
"The deck officer ledger shows a Melville James Fletcher Thornton sailing as 2/O in Alaric. Says he resigned in November 1962 - no reason given. He was born in 1926 so getting on a bit if still around - no other info available."

Sorry not much help - but I tried!

Cheers Jamie

I remember jim well as we did some reliving together around the coast before he finallyleft Shaw Savill .Some time Later I met him again when he was working as a rep for Paine's Wessex pyrotechnics.I have no further news of him as i left in 1972 to follow other employmnet.

Maurice Brew

John Crossland
11th June 2009, 00:16
Hi lads looking for some help my daughter is doing her fameily tree and she is looking for photo of the DORIC i928 or just before her father in law went to oz on it in 1928 any help sam

Hi Sam,

I have replied to this post under "Other ships & companies".

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?p=330812#post330812

(Thumb)

opasdf
8th January 2014, 22:40
Hi there do you have an e mail address for roy clarke as i would like to contact him ,many thanks ,keith

brandane
11th January 2014, 00:09
Replied to your private message box
Cheers Jamie