Captain's Cliches

Trevorw
21st October 2007, 22:40
Every Old Man I ever sailed with had his own peculiar turn of phrase! The most memorable was Capt. Millward on, "Antilochus". He prefixed every conversation with the following, "By the way, sir, strange to say, sir, don't you know?"

Capt. Collett on, "Demodocus", would always say, at about 1600 every day, "Anyone for deck tennis?"

Capt. Punchard on, "Machaon", if your drinking on deck whilst in port, I want full whites and your socks pulled up - particularly if you're sitting harbour side!"

Bill Davies
26th October 2007, 21:58
Every Old Man I ever sailed with had his own peculiar turn of phrase! The most memorable was Capt. Millward on, "Antilochus". He prefixed every conversation with the following, "By the way, sir, strange to say, sir, don't you know?"

Capt. Collett on, "Demodocus", would always say, at about 1600 every day, "Anyone for deck tennis?"

Capt. Punchard on, "Machaon", if your drinking on deck whilst in port, I want full whites and your socks pulled up - particularly if you're sitting harbour side!"

Punchard was not the easiest to get along with (Peggy's nightmare ... white gloves on inspection!) whereas Collet was a gentleman