Cattle from Djibouti

Trevorw
23rd October 2007, 21:03
"Demodocus", 1961. En-route to Suez from Aden, homeward bound. Suddenly the dreaded telegram, "Proceed Djibouti and load cattle for Suez"
Having embarked 300 head and their minders we set off on the short two day trip to Suez. The prevailing wind was down the Red Sea, which in the late afternoon used to approach near gale force, head on. On arrival at Suez, the Bosun was gutted! Since leaving Penang the entire upperworks had been painted ready for our arrival in Gladstone docks. The prevailing wind, very strong, and the ships's headway, had done a first class job of stippling the entire bridge front with atomised cow clap! It took us days to hose it off!

I wonder what the equation was between the freight charges and the overtime payments?

Jim S
23rd October 2007, 22:00
Not a Blue Funnel Ship but Brocklebank's Magdapur with some of the same Djibouti cattle and their minders around mid 1960's. (The Snr App/4th Mate at the horns 3rd Mate at tail of an unruly one.) The foodstuff laid out on the hatch covers was a great temptation for the cattle despite ropes to try to stop them climbing on to hatch covers one or two still managed it and then could not get down again. The presence of the cattle made taking of the temperature of No 4 hold refrigerated space a particular hazard as this was from a plug on the deck.

pilot
24th October 2007, 07:21
In the 60s saw cattle carried on this route several times whilst an apprentice in Brocks. Was rumoured at the time that the freight earned from Djioubti to Suez paid for the bunkers taken at Djibouti to reach Wilmington. Del.

Another tale was that these cattle were bound for Cyprus via. Suez. for slaughtering. In the 60's "Empire Produce" on the corned beef tin was more appetizing than "Canned in Egypt". Vague memories of dodgy corned beef from S.America at this period?

The senior apprentice in the photo's Tim Natress, from Kendal.

Rgds.

demodocus
25th October 2007, 00:51
"Demodocus", 1961. "Proceed Djibouti and load cattle for Suez"

The worst problem I recall with the Djibouti call on Laomedon was collecting a stowaway who remained undetected until after we'd departed Port Said homeward.

Managed to deposit him on Ixion off Gibraltar who passed him on in Aden.

Trident
2nd August 2008, 07:58
My memory Of loading cattle at Djibouti was the cruel way in which it was done, whipping the cattle until they stood in the center of a cargo net sometimes two at a time then heave away on the winch so that they were heaved into the air at about 60mph with legs bent under them and sticking out of the net at all angles, not nice people.

Bill Davies
2nd August 2008, 09:27
Seem to recall hearing about an incident in one 'china boat' where certain members of the crowd entertained themselves with applying caustic soda to the cattle enroute Suez whilst under the influence. Understand they were arrested on arrival Gladstone. I find it unbelievable but am assured it happened.

Trident
4th August 2008, 08:15
cant say I have heard of that, but who knows, some people are real sadists.

Bill Davies
4th August 2008, 08:23
Well, it is all recorded in Richard Woodmans book a ' Voyage East'. I have spoke to others who know the names etc, but that is not for this site. I am personally ashamed that a body of men I have such regard for had a bunch of animals in their midst.

Pat Kennedy
4th August 2008, 19:01
I am also aware of this incident and had actually sailed with some of the people involved, on another ship.It apparently began when a masthouse locker was broken into and a large amount of spirits was stolen and hidden all over the ship.
From that time onwards,certain members of the deck crowd were more or less permanently drunk and out of control. I heard that they were arrested in the first homeward European port, Rotterdam.
Pat

gcon60
6th April 2009, 15:58
Ship was the Antilochus in 1961. The deck hands were arrested on arrival at Bremerhaven as the vessel was diverted from Liverpool to avoid trouble. The whisky troubles had been resolved a couple of months earlier and did not contribute to the cattle incident.

Chris Isaac
6th April 2009, 16:06
In the 60s saw cattle carried on this route several times whilst an apprentice in Brocks. Was rumoured at the time that the freight earned from Djioubti to Suez paid for the bunkers taken at Djibouti to reach Wilmington. Del.

Another tale was that these cattle were bound for Cyprus via. Suez. for slaughtering. In the 60's "Empire Produce" on the corned beef tin was more appetizing than "Canned in Egypt". Vague memories of dodgy corned beef from S.America at this period?

The senior apprentice in the photo's Tim Natress, from Kendal.

Rgds.

In early sixties at the time of the contaminated corned beef I was on Saint Line's St John and we were the only ship discharging corned beef in BA.

The Dog
18th July 2010, 02:31
Seem to recall hearing about an incident in one 'china boat' where certain members of the crowd entertained themselves with applying caustic soda to the cattle enroute Suez whilst under the influence. Understand they were arrested on arrival Gladstone. I find it unbelievable but am assured it happened.

Cattle and caustic soda, The trial was held in Saint Georges Hall court and at least one EDH did time in Walton. The circumstances are not quite as have been written up. The crowd were chipping and red leading. One EDH thought it a good joke to paint OXO on one or more of the cows. The Captain got to hear of it and kicked off. The bosun told the EDH to clean the red lead off the cow thinking he would use white spirit. Soft lad didn't but made up a mix of caustic and water which he slapped on the cow causing it severe pain. Thats it. no blinding, no malice or wickedness, just stupidity and suffering. The antidote to caustic is salt water which both bosun and carpenter would know. The trauma awaiting the cows in Suez when they were unloaded into a barge with just a sling around their bellies was worse than they suffered onboard, broken legs crushed ribs, punctured lungs. We should all be ashamed we were present while this went on.
The EDH, whom I could name, was not the only one punished, The Captain radioed ahead for the CID to meet the ship and several of the crowd were arrested. The Captain then spent two years on the coast on much reduced income. no cargo bonus, no vegetable deck cargo freight from Hong Kong to Singapore, lesson, Dont involve non BF people until India Buildings have decided what to do. At this distance we are still reluctant to identify the people involved although many of us know and sailed with them. to authenticate the above both instigator and captain had red hair.

gcon60
19th February 2013, 17:28
John Surtees never had red hair!!!

red lead
16th April 2013, 20:38
The captain had grey hair after that trip ha ha

Peggy747
21st January 2014, 02:46
RE- Cattle From Djibouti--see picture in "My Gallery" dated 13 Jan 08, this picture aroused the ire of one our members, but that's how it was done,
Antenor-Nov 1961

Regards
Peggy747