Harry Brown

julian anstis
9th April 2005, 15:15
Harry Brown built 1962 634tns at Bristol for Holms Sand & Gravel Co. She was often seen in the floating harbour next to Hotwells Road where she discharged her cargo after dredging the Bristol Channel. Seen here in 1990 in the Bristol Channel she is in the colours of ARC Marine (now Hansons Aggregates) of Southampton but still retaining her original name.
photo courtesy of P.W.Hobday.

Jan Hendrik
10th April 2005, 01:51
Must be one of the smallest ocean going dredgers ever built.

Would need a coat of paint too.

There is a model of her in the gallery section, that one looks a lot better, colourwise.
Is she still in operation?

julian anstis
10th April 2005, 10:41
She did look a lot smarter in her original colour scheme I must admit. I have not seen her around for some time now and she does not appear on Hansons list of ships under that name. There is a possibility that she was transfered to Dunball Wharf at Bridgwater where ARC Marine had a depot with a small dredger running in on a daily basis. Next time I am down there I will call round and have a look out of interest. Allthough knowing Hansons she was sold off as being to outdated for their requirments as she had no self-discharge gear and had to be discharged by grab bucket from the quay side. The latest of Hansons fleet are now discharging at the rate of 8,500tns x 4 hours. Poor old HARRY BROWN would not stand a chance against them..........She would have made an excelent subject for preservation at the Bristol Industrial Museum though having been built and worked all her life there.

hendy
10th April 2005, 13:43
In Bernard McCalls book 'Coasters of the Severn & Avon' it says Harry Brown was sold to new owners in the Middle East in 1990 & renamed Alwardi 4. Then in 1992 renamed Sabari & since 1995 has worked for Bahrain owners as Salaiti 17. Hope that helps guys! (\))

julian anstis
26th April 2005, 16:48
Here's a couple of views of the sand dock at Hotwells, Bristol where the Harry Brown was mainly to be found discharging.

sandman
11th June 2005, 20:09
I have served in all of these ships,spent some 12 yrs in the sand sapphire as an a/b relief mate,until she was sold in 1990,the HB,sand sapphire,sand diamond were all sold to alwardi marine dredging.

billyboy
11th July 2005, 22:19
I have served in all of these ships,spent some 12 yrs in the sand sapphire as an a/b relief mate,until she was sold in 1990,the HB,sand sapphire,sand diamond were all sold to alwardi marine dredging.
hello Sandman, ever sail with the Martin or the Star?

sandman
12th July 2005, 11:20
Sorry I have not,the company that owned the sand sapphire/diamond were called sand supplies western ltd,which was part of the silvey group who's offices are in Newfoundland Road Bristol,and are now into the fuel buisness.

RAINESSHANE
10th August 2005, 23:00
HELLO I WORKED FOR ARC AT HOTWELLS IN POOLES WHARF I WAS AN APPRENTICE AND DID A LITTLE WORK ON THE BROWN ONLY DRAGGING THE GRADER OUT OF THE WAY FOR BRIAN TO UNLOAD THE CARGO WITH THE S&P CRANE I REMEMBER SOMEONE CALLED CHRIS WHO WAS THE DREDGING MANAGER WASNT HE? DO YOU HAVE ANY PICS? THANK SHANE

sandman
16th August 2005, 22:52
chris was the manager,and got to know him well,also brian we had some good laughs over the years,what year where you on the HB?

bob millard
3rd June 2009, 19:35
Sorry I have not,the company that owned the sand sapphire/diamond were called sand supplies western ltd,which was part of the silvey group who's offices are in Newfoundland Road Bristol,and are now into the fuel buisness.

hi sandman i was aboard the sand opal in the early 70s with reg woodford as skipper great days eh.

John Rogers
3rd June 2009, 19:59
Harry Brown looks to be in poor shape,never seen it looking that bad.

John.

Welsh_John
15th June 2009, 09:40
Does anybody know where I can get a photo of the Bristol dredger the "Camerton"?

Thanks

John

sandman
18th August 2009, 19:38
hi sandman i was aboard the sand opal in the early 70s with reg woodford as skipper great days eh.

Hi Bob,I met Reg a couple of times.My Father and uncle used to run the Renwick.

NeilWinchcombe
7th November 2009, 22:46
Does anybody know where I can get a photo of the Bristol dredger the "Camerton"?

Thanks

John

I have several images taken from slides of 'Camerton' in 1969/1970.
I have uploaded to Flickr several photos of her on a misty day in December 1969 unloading by Bristol Bridge. A simple Google search for Camerton + sand + Bristol will bring up the site with the images. How long did it take to unload her using a single grab, I wonder.
I have just discovered another photo of her alongside the sand wharf at Hotwells taken on 14 Feb 1970. There is another vessel at the wharf which I cannot identify. I will shortly add that to my set of photos on Flikr of various Bristol sand vessels including Sand Gem, Sand Jade, Sand Opal & Badminton.
The photos of Camerton are not clear, documentary images, but they may provide you will some sort of record of her.
PS. I have just joined Ships Nostalgia to send this message.
NeilWinchcombe

NeilWinchcombe
7th November 2009, 23:03
Hi Bob,I met Reg a couple of times.My Father and uncle used to run the Renwick.
In case you are interested, I have uploaded to the Flikr website a photo of 'Sand Opal' when she was in the lock at Cumberland Basin, Hotwells on 18th March 1974. Just do a Google search for Sand Opal + Bristol + lock and it ought to come up. It is part of a set of photos of sand ships leaving the floating harbour which I took on that day in perfect light.
NeilWinchcombe

NeilWinchcombe
7th November 2009, 23:08
In case you are interested, I have uploaded to the Flikr website a photo of 'Sand Opal' when she was in the lock at Cumberland Basin, Hotwells on 18th March 1974. Just do a Google search for Sand Opal + Bristol + lock and it ought to come up. It is part of a set of photos of sand ships leaving the floating harbour which I took on that day in perfect light.
I have only just joined Ships Nostalgia, so don't know how to upload the photo to this site too.
NeilWinchcombe

NeilWinchcombe
15th November 2009, 10:01
In Bernard McCalls book 'Coasters of the Severn & Avon' it says Harry Brown was sold to new owners in the Middle East in 1990 & renamed Alwardi 4. Then in 1992 renamed Sabari & since 1995 has worked for Bahrain owners as Salaiti 17. Hope that helps guys! (\))

I have just found a slide in my collection of 'Harry Brown' moored in Bathurst Basin with the General Hospital in the background. Photo was taken some time during the summer of 1970. I shall add it to my collection of Bristol sand vessels on Flikr and probably later add it to Ships Nostalgia too.

Martin Bodman
28th February 2010, 16:42

Thanks

John

I have a rather poor shot of the Camerton taken in the 1960s

Martin Bodman

Nutty-slack
18th March 2010, 11:49
I have several images taken from slides of 'Camerton' in 1969/1970.
I have uploaded to Flickr several photos of her on a misty day in December 1969 unloading by Bristol Bridge. A simple Google search for Camerton + sand + Bristol will bring up the site with the images. How long did it take to unload her using a single grab, I wonder.
I have just discovered another photo of her alongside the sand wharf at Hotwells taken on 14 Feb 1970. There is another vessel at the wharf which I cannot identify. I will shortly add that to my set of photos on Flikr of various Bristol sand vessels including Sand Gem, Sand Jade, Sand Opal & Badminton.
The photos of Camerton are not clear, documentary images, but they may provide you will some sort of record of her.
PS. I have just joined Ships Nostalgia to send this message.
NeilWinchcombe
Hi martin
If itīs the picture I think it is, the vessel at the far left on the birth is Nigel.......one of silveys Reg woodford was skipper of her.

Tambling5407
22nd March 2010, 19:14

Thanks

John

If you have not already got a shot of Camerton, I have 2 (1 aground off the Roath Dock entrance) but in Br. Dredging colours.

I enjoyed 3 very amusing and happy years with Bristol Sand & Gravel, as AB (with Master's Foreign Going Ticket) on Peterston, Badminton,Camerton and Dunkerton (Mate and Master) 1963-6. Then after a sahort spell with the Southampton Harbour Board became Marine Supt. John Heaver Marine Aggregates Division Chichester.
I was involved in the building/construction of Chichester Cross which was sold to Bowles shortly after the Company was sold to Francis Parker Ltd. Littlehampton, and I found a new position as Ship Surveyor with the USAMFA Fleet at Hythe Hants.
I have many photos of life aboard Dunkerton and Saltom ( day riding as a schoolboy from Clifton College )

chrisgully1
5th October 2011, 22:57
used to see the harry brown in at dunball wharf being offloaded by roger and his mate smiley, poping over to the pub at dunball good crew missed em when they went,,

fithawk
14th January 2012, 12:30
My Father in Law once worked on the Harry Brown circa 1966. I know that a DVD was produced with Fred Wedlock about the ship, however can't find it anywhere. Has anyone got it or know where I can get a copy? Thanks. Andy.

R58484956
14th January 2012, 14:43
Greetings Fithawk and welcome to SN.Bon voyage.