Nikon

billyboy
28th October 2007, 13:13
Anyone got any good advice for a digital dummy like me, have acquired a new camera. Nikon L5 (coolpix).
(Found out it dont need a roll of film already) flown out from uk with no instruction manuel. Had a play with it this morning and it works but would welcome any advice from anyone who has any digital know how.
Anyone got this model (Thumb) ?

treeve
28th October 2007, 14:07
Hi Billy, yup!! no film! if you pop "nikon" "L5" "manual" into Google, there
is a manual available for download. I have a Fuji Finepix 9500, but for the
most part it is a matter of point and shoot, toy around with the pictures
afterwards, but I do suggest that you take the photos in the highest
definition possible, except when running short of card space.
Best Wishes, Raymond

stein
28th October 2007, 15:52
Maybe the advice from Raymond is the correct one for your camera; I bought a Nikon-D50 and found that the highest resolution took forever to put into the PC, forever to load onto the screen, and an eternity to put through the mail. I now photograph only in the "basic" mode, and have enough resolution to crop away most of the picture. As for the handling, my camera works the way my old (film) Nikon did, except I need a PC to get pictures out of it. Nice being able to look immediately at what you got, and have pictures the moment you get home: I found It a truly enjoyable tool. And I havent really realized it fully yet, so I keep telling myself that the pictures costs no more than what turns up on the electricity bill: just snap away! Regards, Stein.

treeve
28th October 2007, 18:27
Quite right, thing is that you can reduce to picture, change the compression rate, and change to B&W, etc, but you cannot put into the picture what is lost. I take hi-res and copy across in reduced/compressed format. Always keep a copy of the originals on CD/DVD or external drive, and then you can manipulate away safely with the coies on the hard drive. Crop and Compress away until you get something that will be small enough to email or post on the net. As the retail outlets say "once it's gone, it's gone". Digital is great, but you need a lot of space on drives to keep them. Also reduce/compress to print them, most everyday systems can fold completely and become slow with large files. Simplest thing is to get a dedicated digital printer, pop in the memory card and the software does it all for you. I can do this from CD via the PC as well. Like anything it can be as simple or as complex as you want.
Best Wishes, Raymond

Pat McCardle
28th October 2007, 18:46
Did you get a CD containing Pictureproject? This usually comes with a Nikon. I have the Coolpix 7900 & DSLR D40. You can sharpen & adjust the colours with Pictureproject although, I think, your camera has the tools necessary for cropping, red eye & adjusting. As Raymond states, download the manual & get playing!!

Steve
28th October 2007, 20:03
Ask here billyboy www.worldphotographyforum.com (http://www.worldphotographyforum.com) its one of our sites !, Im sure they will help you(Thumb)

non descript
28th October 2007, 20:14
Billy, it is good to see you have now got a quick response on the sister site. (Thumb)

billyboy
28th October 2007, 21:54
many thanks to you all for the advice. am about to download the manual this morning (monday here already lads)
Looking forward to going down to the docks with it in the near future. (been without an "image capturing device" for far too long)

billyboy
28th October 2007, 21:56
Steve: been a member on the world photography forum for some time now also some of your other sites as well. they are all good sites...well done

steviej
29th October 2007, 18:10
You have a nice camara there. I beleive it has5X optical zoom-Nikkor lens offering a powerful range of 38 to 190mm When combined with its 4X digital zoom, you can effectively get a total zoom of 20X. As far as space I get the best from using Flickr. It costs around $24 for a years membership. I store all my photo's on there. I acn look at the photo's at any time and leaves my hard drive free. Looking forward to seeing the results of your new camara. Don't forget the movie mode.
steviej

newda898
29th October 2007, 22:13
You can download an instruction manual here billyboy:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14109&p_created=1160670274&p_sid=mT1EdqPi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD0yLDImcF9wcm9kcz0xLDMxNCZwX2NhdHM9MTg3JnB fcHY9Mi4zMTQmcF9jdj0xLjE4NyZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc 3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

Although if you're on dial up, it might be a bit of a wait!

billyboy
30th October 2007, 11:27
Movie mode? that for use upstairs steve?...LOL
Daniel: thanks for the link. struggling to get it going (slow dial up system here)