Save the Type 22s

boulton
6th November 2007, 21:14
During the “Sea Power Demonstration”, in the south-west approaches for the benefit of the “great and the good” (journalists !!), WARSHIP INTERNATIONAL FLEET REVIEW’s editor Mr Iain Ballantyne enjoyed (another) interview with Admiral Sir James Burnell-Nugent, CinC Fleet, as reported in the latest issue dated December 2007 (Pages 32-33+).

“The admiral was asked about claims in the media that the cost of securing the CVFs within the defence budget was going to be the loss of the remaining four Type 22 frigates“.

We would all (presumably) like to think the admiral’s comments were meant to reassure us of the Type 22s continued future serving within the Royal Navy.

“What I can tell you is that they are valuable ships, well-built, with lots of room and a lot of life left in them. They are very capable. Who knows what they could do in the future, as they handle so many roles”.

So far Boulton has not been put in a position where he has had to form, or voice, an opinion of this gentleman. However, I am certain that he NOT a poorly or ill-educated person. His further response therefore warrants some scrutiny.

“The admiral indicated the Type 22s were not the sort of ships that, as CinC Fleet, he wouldn’t want to give up”.

Removing (as I think were are entitled and obliged to do), the double-negatives from the above further statement, the actual meaning of what Admiral Sir James Burnell-Nugent said is,

. . . THE TYPE 22s WERE THE SORT OF SHIPS THAT, AS CinC FLEET, HE WOULD WANT TO GIVE UP.

Does this actually disclose that the Admiral knows, that with the crews released from a couple of Type 22s (2 x 250 = 500), he could man 2.7 of the newer, less man-power dependent Type 23s (2.7 x 185 = 499.5) ??

AncientBrit
7th November 2007, 02:36
Since scribes began taking notes of what General or Admirals said, those same Generals and Admirals have bafflegabbed a lucrative living for an unending stream of inquisitive and investigative reporters all determined to get to the truth of the matter. All of these reporters failed to recognize however, that it dont mean poop!
Relax, pull another beer, the new world order allows that we all stop worrying about that which we cannot change and place our trust in George Dubyah Bush who is out there somewhere, as we type, deciding what is best for us.
PS. If you have Weapons of Mass Destruction, I would suggest you get rid of them.

cboots
7th November 2007, 03:12
Admiral Sir James Burnell-Nugent - at the present rate it will not be too much longer before the venerable admiral has more names than his navy has boats.
CBoots

Paul UK
7th November 2007, 11:48
I dont know about WMD but I would really scared if I had Oil, o,h my god I wonder if GWB knows were Scotland is.

Paul

Since scribes began taking notes of what General or Admirals said, those same Generals and Admirals have bafflegabbed a lucrative living for an unending stream of inquisitive and investigative reporters all determined to get to the truth of the matter. All of these reporters failed to recognize however, that it dont mean poop!
Relax, pull another beer, the new world order allows that we all stop worrying about that which we cannot change and place our trust in George Dubyah Bush who is out there somewhere, as we type, deciding what is best for us.
PS. If you have Weapons of Mass Destruction, I would suggest you get rid of them.

boulton
24th November 2007, 12:35
“What I can tell you is that they (the remaining Type 22s), are valuable ships, well-built, with lots of room and a lot of life left in them. They are very capable. Who knows what they could do in the future, as they handle so many roles”.

I've just taken a phone call from WARSHIP INTERNATIONAL FLEET REVIEW’s editor Mr Iain Ballantyne, who has received a letter from myself, in which I drew attention to the (possible) "duplicity" in the reported statement by Admiral Sir James Burnell-Nugent, CinC Fleet.

Iain acknowledged that the "double negative", was a typographical error, and should not be construed as implying any lack of committment to the remaining Type 22 by Admiral Sir James Burnell-Nugent.

The letter, with an editorial comment acknowledging the unfortunate confusion, are to be published in the next issue of the WARSHIP INTERNATIONAL FLEET REVIEW magazine - a "good read", that I can heartily recommend.

I think we can now accept that " . . the admiral’s comments were meant to reassure us of the Type 22s continued future serving within the Royal Navy".

boulton
1st December 2007, 13:43
The latest NAVY NEWS (dated December 2007, page 4), reports that,

“Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope has taken over from Admiral Sir James Burnell-Newgent as the nation’s second most senior sailor”.

After some confusion in the reporting by the monthly magazine WARSHIP INTERNATIONAL FLEET REVIEW (eventually clarified by Mr Iain Ballantyne, editor), it was assumed we could be confident, that comments made by the retiring CINC Fleet,

“Admiral Sir James Burnell-Nugent - the venerable admiral (with) more names than his navy (will have) boats“. (Cboots)

" . . were meant to reassure us of the Type 22s continued future serving within the Royal Navy".

It is presumed that now, everything will be back in the “melting-pot”, and we will have to again wait and ponder the intentions of the new CINC Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope - until Mr Iain Ballantyne, or another editor, can pin him against a bulk-head and question the good gentleman as to his intentions.