Ss Myrmidon

tony poutch
7th November 2007, 14:06
My first trip as deck boy around the land was on the Myrmidonthe Bosun was Jimmy Morris he must have had the patience of Job as he had six of us straight out of the deck boy school.Anyone know the history of this ship.(A) (Thumb)

makko
8th November 2007, 03:09
Hi Tony,

I read your other post but decided to answer this one. I believe that you were on Myrmidon 65/66. I remember when I was very little that my Old Fella took me onto a Liberty Bluey. It couldn't have been Ulysses as that was on the Blue Sea run and never called into Birkenhead. What I remember most was that they were installing a radar (I got to look in at the screen) and the OF pointed out the rivetted seam just aft of the bridge! I have amazed renowned welding experts on this tidbit over the years. My Dad was a "China" Deep Sea engineer. I served basically Blue Sea all my time with BF.

Regards and welcome to SN!

Dave

R651400
8th November 2007, 08:22
In the mid to late fifties, 1945 Myrmidon ex Ripon Victory along with 1949 Ulysses ex Silverholly were on what was known as the Delarama run from U.S. to Far East via the Pacific.
BF bought nine Victory class ships at the end of the war for 277,000 each, half the price of a new ship.
Myrmidon lasted until 1971 when she did her last voyage with ED and was broken up in Kaohsiung.

tony poutch
8th November 2007, 18:00
CHEERS Dave

tony poutch
8th November 2007, 18:12
In the mid to late fifties, 1945 Myrmidon ex Ripon Victory along with 1949 Ulysses ex Silverholly were on what was known as the Delarama run from U.S. to Far East via the Pacific.
BF bought nine Victory class ships at the end of the war for 277,000 each, half the price of a new ship.
Myrmidon lasted until 1971 when she did her last voyage with ED and was broken up in Kaohsiung.
Thank you for such detailed information much obliged Tony

John Gillespie
5th May 2013, 15:43
My first trip as deck boy around the land was on the Myrmidonthe Bosun was Jimmy Morris he must have had the patience of Job as he had six of us straight out of the deck boy school.Anyone know the history of this ship.(A) (Thumb)

I did the last trip on Myrmidon. Loaded a full cargo for Lagos and after discharge off to Taiwan at 8knots for the breakers yard.
The crew were Chinese and the Master was Capt Sandy Milmine.

red lead
5th May 2013, 21:06

Hi Tony .Was with jimmy morris on the jason we had six pggys there. was yoyu a mate of Shay Gilligan , Red lead

Pat Kennedy
5th May 2013, 21:14
I joined Myrmidon in July 1964 in the River Fal where she had been in lay up. The whole deck crowd came down from Birkenhead in a coach apart from the bosun and chippy who had joined a few days earlier.
First job on board was to hoist all the derricks from where they had been stowed in the tween decks along with all the running gear.
Then we took her round to Mountstewart Drydocks in Avonmouth.
After that we loaded in the Bristol Channel ports and then to Birkenhead where we paid off. I was in her for six weeks and was impressed by the very spacious accomodation for the sailors.

tony poutch
11th May 2013, 10:21
Hi Tony .Was with jimmy morris on the jason we had six pggys there. was yoyu a mate of Shay Gilligan , Red lead

I played schoolboy football with Shay and he joined Blueys after me ,sadly Shay passed away 14yrs ago.

jmcg
11th May 2013, 11:06
Hi Tony

Did Shay(RIP) not sail with us on Menelaus? Another name to recall- Bullock - he was AB from Bray I think.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

tony poutch
11th May 2013, 21:50
Hi Tony

Did Shay(RIP) not sail with us on Menelaus? Another name to recall- Bullock - he was AB from Bray I think.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

No Sean ,I never sailed with Shay in Bluey's ,he was on a couple of jobs I got from Barney Crossan the Union man in Dublin.