Missourian

julian anstis
13th April 2005, 14:17
Originally built as the MISSOURIAN in 1922 at the Merchant Shipbuilding Corporation yard in Chester,PA. Yard # 386 for American-Hawaiian Steamship Co. She came to the UK in 1940 as the EMPIRE SWAN then in 42 she went to Belgium as BELGIAN FREIGHTER. Other names she sailed under were CAPITAIN POTIE....GENOVA....FLAMINIA and here at Jeddah in 69 as KING ABDELAZIZ shortly before being scrapped in 1970. She looks to be a passenger ship in the photo but was originally constructed as a cargo ship so she must have undergone an intensive re-build at some time in her life.
photo courtesy of P.W.Hobday.

Bob
4th July 2005, 12:35
I have 2 pictures of her one as built with a tiny funnel, and one as the Flamini,if I can work out how to post pics on this site I will do so Cheers Bob

Piero43
4th July 2005, 16:35
I know very well her as "Flaminia". She was bought in 1948 by CO.GE.DAR. (Compagnia Genovese d'Armamento, who named her "Genova", and later "Flaminia"), and employed together with "Aurelia" on the Europe to Australia route. In the late Fifties she was chartered by the Israeli ZIM on the emigrant route M****ille - Genoa - Haifa until 1964 when sold to M. A. Bakhashab.
My father (Giuseppe De Marzo) was first mate, and later master, of "Flaminia", and I myself did many journeys on her from Genoa to Haifa as passenger during the summer holydays.
She was an old and outdated ship, but I remember her as a "friendly" one, if you know what I mean.
Piero

R58484956
4th July 2005, 20:26
Glad to see you remembered M****ille.

Piero43
5th July 2005, 11:20
I have 2 pictures of her one as built with a tiny funnel, and one as the Flamini,if I can work out how to post pics on this site I will do so Cheers Bob

I found a pic of "Flaminia" in her heydays in CO.GE.DAR. colours.
Piero