Harborough

tanker
13th April 2005, 13:42
HARBOROUGH ,built 1956 by Blyth Dry Docks & Co, for J .C. Harrison in1956.
She was propelled by N.E.M.-Doxford 4 -Cylinder opposed piston airles injection diesel engine:estimated speedd 13,5knots.(old mag. pic)
Anyone knows when she was scrapped and under what name?
Ciao
Gp

Dave Edge
18th May 2005, 09:05
Harborough didn't last long enough to be broken up. On 18 April 1959, in thick fog, she struck the wreck of the "Kholomogory" in the Weser Estuary and sank. At the time she was en route Gdynia to Buenos Aires.
Regards,
Dave Edge.

tanker
18th May 2005, 10:12
Dave
I have a doubt that HARBOROUGH was not scrapped ,but i was not sure!!
the doubt is solved!!
many thanks
Gp

stevecz
18th May 2005, 15:13
Tanker,
For your records her Official Number was 187512.

backsplice
31st May 2005, 09:22
I sailed on the "HARPALYCE " in 59 built in Sunderland not unlike that old girl......... the crest on the bow is an arm holding a broken paint scraper ....did 8 months tramping run out of stores 3 times except for tins of plum jam .took about 8 weeks to load copra in Macasser for europe copra bugs were the only "fresh" grub still none the worse for it all part of lifes great adventure in Merchant Navy ..........Backsplice

stevecz
31st May 2005, 09:48
According to http://gsn.ncl.ac.uk/index.jsp she was wrecked in 1959.
The HARBOROUGH rammed the sunken wreck of the Soviet ship KHOLMOGORY, off the Weser Lightship, near Hamburg.

31st May 2005, 12:28
[QUOTE=backsplicecopra bugs were the only "fresh" grub still none the worse for it all part of lifes great adventure in Merchant Navy [/QUOTE]

On the Manaar we picked up a deck cargo of dried fish in a Red Sea port and carried it to Colombo. Once there we anchored out in the roads for about six weeks waiting for a berth. It wasn't long before we became infested with copra bugs and then the fish started rotting. We steamed out a few miles and shovelled the lot over the wall. I understand that this was the third cargo that had only made it as far as Colombo Roads.

Dave

Rupert
21st December 2005, 11:53
I was on her sister ship the Harpalycus I managed to get off her in Buenos Airies after 9 months with appendicitis. Then Like a fool I signed onto the San Emiliano. The under Shell . which they told me was bound from BA to UK via Curacao. Bloody liars took another 6 months. I will supply photo if requested.

Don Sangster
24th July 2006, 05:42
on the Hartismere in 1957 it was quite a good trip except for running out of stores and
cigarettes on our way from the Persian gulf to BA we lived on rice cakes for 2 weeks
caught in a cyclone after we left the Gulf ended up in the Seychelles to get some stores
before heading for Durban to Bunker we had steamed for 10 days but had gone
backwards. We had been on a Hansa Line charter so although we were low on water
and it was rationed we had lots of Amstel Heinekin and Carlsberg which we had loaded for the gulf ports and somehow the crew ended up with quite a lot so it was
not to bad

Ivor Lloyd
24th July 2006, 07:48
Joined the Harmattan in early 1945. Sailed for Naples with ammunition and military cargo. Took 8 days to get to Gibraltar from Liverpool . I can remember there were many "Loggings" . Firemen blaming bad coal etc.
For the life of me I cannot remember what the food was like. I am still here so it must have been eatable...

David Davies
4th January 2007, 20:05
Did about a year as 3rd Mate on Hartington 1955-1956 and enjoyed my time in her. We had a very fine Master (Capt Champion ) and an excellent galley staff who provided a varied and unusual menu out of the mundane ingredients in the storeroom. Hartington so influenced me that after Mates ticket I joined the ex Harperly sold to J A Billmier and renamed Elstead as 2nd Mate and certainly did not enjoy my time in her, infact the worst ship I ever sailed in. After much logging, violence, desertion and shortage of food and tobacco the voyage ended and we paid off. Never would I join another tramp so I joined BI to give them a try but in the end I concluded that the old sailor's maxim "there are no good ship owners only some are worse than others" was true

John Rogers
4th January 2007, 21:37
Looks like JC Harrison's ships were always running out of food. I was on the Hartismere from Aug 1948 Thru Oct 1949 and we ran out of food homeward bound from Hong Kong,hit a Typhoon,salt water got into the fresh water,lost a lifeboat,we were eating dry peas,pea soup,pea pudding,refer stopped working so we had to throw all the food and meat over the side,we tried to catch the rain in tarps hung between the hatches and drain the water out of the steam lines of the winches.Other than that episode we ate good and she was a fine ship. The company flag was a broken arm of a Knight, with a broken spear or arrow held in the hand,with the words PERSEVERANCE written on the bottom of the flag. The ship was dry back in them days,No beer anywhere on -board
John.

jim brindley
9th May 2007, 10:48
Looks like JC Harrison's ships were always running out of food. I was on the Hartismere from Aug 1948 Thru Oct 1949 and we ran out of food homeward bound from Hong Kong,hit a Typhoon,salt water got into the fresh water,lost a lifeboat,we were eating dry peas,pea soup,pea pudding,refer stopped working so we had to throw all the food and meat over the side,we tried to catch the rain in tarps hung between the hatches and drain the water out of the steam lines of the winches.Other than that episode we ate good and she was a fine ship. The company flag was a broken arm of a Knight, with a broken spear or arrow held in the hand,with the words PERSEVERANCE written on the bottom of the flag. The ship was dry back in them days,No beer anywhere on -board
John. was on hartismere 1952 as ab didnt persever any longer got lost and wed in mellbourne never been hungrey sinc .old sinner jim in oz