Grimsby trawler Emerald - Help Request

GY177
13th November 2007, 23:33
I wonder if anybody out there can help. I am trying to find out information on the Grimsby trawler Emerald. My wife’s Grandfather was part of the crew who were presumed lost at sea, but nobody in the family knows anymore. I do not know the exact date of its loss, but it was sometime after 1942, and I think it disappeared in mysterious circumstances, as it was supposed to be in port. Any information, tips on research, photographs etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dean.

treeve
14th November 2007, 00:09
Hello and welcome aboard; hope you got your wellies and
sou'wester, as there may be a bit o' swell.
Which Emerald is it, to make it easier on us? GY214; GY613; GY1019?
Best Wishes, Raymond

treeve
14th November 2007, 00:28
It can't be the GY 1019 as she became Respondo
Lost in 1940.
http://www.llangibby.eclipse.co.uk/milfordtrawlers/accidents%20&%20incidents/emerald.htm

Emerald II GY 613 was returned to owners 1919 and saw no more service.

There are Ship's Logs for Emerald in the NA (Kew) for years 1939-1944 under ADM.

Roger Griffiths
14th November 2007, 08:19
Hello,
The EMERALD refered to by Raymond who's logs are in the National Archives at Kew in ADM 53 is the light cruiser HMS EMERALD
I think the vessel you are looking for is EMERALD GY613 official number 104172 Her logbooks for the second world war years are here
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=104172&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=35&image1.y=12
As far as I know she was not a war loss she was however attacked by aircraft 17/3/1940. She was erased from the GY register in 1944. I have no idea as to the circumstances, maybe others may enligten us.

regards
Roger

gil mayes
14th November 2007, 09:06
Dean, Raymond & Roger
As you know Grimsby is not my 'part of ship' but EMERALD (104172) (GY613) is shown in Cox as "1944 Lost" and in 1945-46 LR as "Missing since 1.44".
Gil.

Steve Farrow
14th November 2007, 10:11
Hi Dean,
On March 19th, 1940, the Emerald GY 613 was attacked and damaged by aircraft 80 miles from Spurn Point, and she survived. Four years later she was not so lucky. She sailed on 17th January 1944, for a ten day fishing trip but was never seen again.
The crew were Skipper George Henry Westwood, the mate George William Bryan, Chief engineer Walter Carlton, second engineer Harry Burrett, third hand Charles Albert Edward Howling, deckhands Henry Arthur Pratt, Clive Philip Hildred Marshall, Walter Riches, trimmer Alexander Henry Charlton, George Alexander Baker, cook Thomas Edward Harper.
The Emerald was built by Cochranes & Cooper of Beverley and registered in 1894. Her owners were T. C. Moss but at the time of her loss she was owned by The Great Grimsby & East Coast Steam Fishing Company. She was 150 gross tons, 63 nett tons, 101' in length x 20.5' x 11'.Official number 104172.
Some years ago I was asked to paint the Remindo with the Emerald for a Mr. C. Riches. I will post it in the Fishing Gallery.
Regards
Steve

mattarosa
14th November 2007, 11:16
Hi Dean,
On March 19th, 1940, the Emerald GY 613 was attacked and damaged by aircraft 80 miles from Spurn Point, and she survived. Four years later she was not so lucky. She sailed on 17th January 1944, for a ten day fishing trip but was never seen again.
The crew were Skipper George Henry Westwood, the mate George William Bryan, Chief engineer Walter Carlton, second engineer Harry Burrett, third hand Charles Albert Edward Howling, deckhands Henry Arthur Pratt, Clive Philip Hildred Marshall, Walter Riches, trimmer Alexander Henry Charlton, George Alexander Baker, cook Thomas Edward Harper.
The Emerald was built by Cochranes & Cooper of Beverley and registered in 1894. Her owners were T. C. Moss but at the time of her loss she was owned by The Great Grimsby & East Coast Steam Fishing Company. She was 150 gross tons, 63 nett tons, 101' in length x 20.5' x 11'.Official number 104172.
Some years ago I was asked to paint the Remindo with the Emerald for a Mr. C. Riches. I will post it in the Fishing Gallery.
Regards
Steve

I love this site. You are all so knowledgeable, and so helpful.

And special thanks to Dean, whose question has given us the chance to see yet another of Steve's excellent paintings!

Hilary

GY177
14th November 2007, 13:13
Many thanks for all of your replies. I didn’t know there were three trawlers called Emerald, but after reading your replies, it was GY613.

Steve – A special thanks for your reply, it sent a shiver down my spine reading that – my wife’s Grandfather was the cook, Thomas Edward Harper. If I were to find out more information about the disappearance, where would I look? Are there any official reports? I guess, now I’ve got the date, the Grimsby Library would be a good place to start – looking at micro fiches of old copies of the Grimsby Evening Telegraph.

Love the painting Steve, that’s some talent you have there. I have sent you a PM.

Thanks again all, what a great site…

Dean.

Ernst Jensen
23rd November 2010, 12:32
hi every body.
i use to be in the seinenetters but i enjoy watching all ships photos
ernst

Heather Ayre
31st July 2013, 01:42
Hi, my family and I have been trying to find out info on The Emerald for many years and knew about as much as what I have just read. My grandfather was aboard the trawler when it went missing he was The ships mate George William Bryan he was only 39 when he went missing, he was my mothers father she was just 12 when he was lost at sea she is now 85 and is still devastated to this day that nothing was ever traced of the trawler or its crew . She has a framed picture of The Emerald which my brother had done for her which is on her living room wall to this day. We have never found out any information as to how the trawler went missing one rumour was that it possibly hit a mine? All in all it was tragic and my mum has never had any peace of mind all of these years as to what really happened , any information would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks Heather

davetodd
2nd September 2013, 14:29
I wonder if anybody out there can help. I am trying to find out information on the Grimsby trawler Emerald. My wife’s Grandfather was part of the crew who were presumed lost at sea, but nobody in the family knows anymore. I do not know the exact date of its loss, but it was sometime after 1942, and I think it disappeared in mysterious circumstances, as it was supposed to be in port. Any information, tips on research, photographs etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dean.http://www.fleetwood-trawlers.info/index.php/2012/05/s-t-cadella-a364/
this site has more information, but there were more than one trawlers with the name emerald!!
It may be worth visiting Grimsby Central library to se if they have any press cuttings regarding thevrssel which was registered in Leith LH 248This info. from th excellent bookCochranes shipbuiloders 1884- 1914as
regards Emerald in 1953and a bit more herehttp://www.grantontrawlers.com/Trawlers/Cadella%20LH%20248.htm
regards Dave