Deck Officers: 1953 to 1961

JimC
15th November 2007, 17:24
Hello there!

I am interested in any names of the captioned including Apprentices and Cadets. Particularly interested in news of Willie McAlister and George Pryde.

My ships were: Ormsary, Gleddoch, Dunadd, Sir Andrew Duncan, Mountpark, Wellpark, Broompark, Clarkeden, Naess Trader, Naess Sovereign, Gaelic Fidelity, Norscot to name but a few. I left Denholms in 1962.

Jim C.

muldonaich
15th November 2007, 20:06
Hello there!

I am interested in any names of the captioned including Apprentices and Cadets. Particularly interested in news of Willie McAlister and George Pryde.

My ships were: Ormsary, Gleddoch, Dunadd, Sir Andrew Duncan, Mountpark, Wellpark, Broompark, Clarkeden, Naess Trader, Naess Sovereign, Gaelic Fidelity, Norscot to name but a few. I left Denholms in 1962.

Jim C.willie macallister ended up as chief marine super with them i could be wrong ask roddy mackenzie ex denholm master kev.

muldonaich
15th November 2007, 20:09
willie macallister ended up as chief marine super with them i could be wrong ask roddy mackenzie ex denholm master kev.forgot to add he was chief off on neass louisiana when i was on her captains maxwell--warman-- smart mate before him was marcus gunn regards kev.

randcmackenzie
15th November 2007, 20:41
willie macallister ended up as chief marine super with them i could be wrong ask roddy mackenzie ex denholm master kev.

Quite correct, Kev.

He died from cancer before reaching retiring age, a sad loss to all who knew him.

JimC
22nd November 2007, 14:01
Hi there!

Sad to hear about big Willie McAllister. We sailed together a few times and I knew him and his wife Jean very well back in the old days. Also knew his father 'Popeye' who I see mentioned as 2/E on the Gleddoch. Wonder if the guys know that one of his brothers was killed by a bomb in the London Blitz. It went down the hold of the ship in which he was working as an apprentice. He had another brother who was C/E on the Ore Carrier, EGTV 'Morar' of ill fame. I think that brother also became an Engineering Super. Indeed, Willie's sister also worked in the company's offices at 120, St. Vincent Street, Glasgow. We used to kid him that the family had a diamond 'D' painted on the chimney of their house in Bishopbriggs! A real gentelman and I'm sure sadly missed by all who knew him. I lost touch with him after 1967. When did he die?
Another name from that era who might have been there same time as you was John Grogan who I sailed with on a couple of ships; the last of which was the Naess Sovereign.

Jim C

Argyll
24th November 2007, 13:05
Hi Diamond D guys,
I am sure most of you are aware that Cal mac inherited a few of Denholm app. I have not seen any of there names mentioned but I did recognise Appin Tar as one. other names are Dave Malcolm ,Alan Sinclair, Andy MacCrindle,George Campbell, to name bit a few any of you sailed with these guys, I' of course Ex Denholm but a different vintage ,
Argyll

Stan McNally
31st December 2007, 16:52
Did my first trip as 2nd R/O aged 17 from Birkenhead to Three Rivers in Canada on the good ship Wellpark, was sick as a dog in the North Atlantic for about three days until the Chief R/O Sherin gave me an orange - which did the trick - well remember the thumping during the night which was caused by the "growler ice" under the ship.

Stan McNally

Hello there!

Jim C.

DaveFleming
8th November 2011, 15:25
Sad to hear about big Willie McAllister. We sailed together a few times and I knew him and his wife Jean very well back in the old days. Also knew his father 'Popeye' who I see mentioned as 2/E on the Gleddoch. Wonder if the guys know that one of his brothers was killed by a bomb in the London Blitz. It went down the hold of the ship in which he was working as an apprentice. He had another brother who was C/E on the Ore Carrier, EGTV 'Morar' of ill fame. I think that brother also became an Engineering Super. Indeed, Willie's sister also worked in the company's offices at 120, St. Vincent Street, Glasgow. We used to kid him that the family had a diamond 'D' painted on the chimney of their house in Bishopbriggs! A real gentelman and I'm sure sadly missed by all who knew him. I lost touch with him after 1967. When did he die?

I'm Willie's nephew - he died in 1994, but Jean and the family are doing well. Jim was my Uncle killed in the war, on the Denpark (rather than in the blitz) and Peter was the other brother mentioned - he became a ship surveyor with British Steel based at Port Talbot, and passed away about 5 years ago.

harkness
5th July 2012, 14:03
Hello All, My father sailed on the Sir Andrew Duncan his name was Jack Harkness from Ardossan,I believe he sailed with Norman Angus MacDonald on a few occassions to. Wondered if any of you may have sailed with him.
Thanks

Gulpers
5th July 2012, 21:09
harkness,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)*

harkness
6th July 2012, 10:58
Thank you for such a warm welcome to you amazing site