Delayed Write Failure in XP Pro

Keltic Star
21st November 2007, 00:27
I have a Maxtor One Touch II as an external backup hard drive. Tried to do a backup this afternoon and it seemed to hang. Reinstalled the software and now although all the folders still show as in the drive, they are empty of all files that were stored there.
When accessing from the drive from Windows XP I get the error message:

Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file drive_letter:\file_path\file_name. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

When I reinstalled the Maxtor software, did I change the security settings so that the files are blocked or have I lost them forever? Have called Maxtor, nice gent with a strange accent told me it was a Microsoft problem. Called Microsoft who were no help at all as the computer came with pre-installed software and the responsibility was that of the reseller. I can just imagine getting help from Staples two years after purchase!

Have done a Google search of the error and there seems many suggestions but no sure cure. Planned to try some of the recommendations this evening but the wife won't let me. Said I don't know what I'm doing and if I lose the "C" drive as well she doesn't want to explain that tall story to a tax auditor. Hate to admit it but she's right.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Bob

K urgess
21st November 2007, 00:38
You said the magic word "Maxtor".
I have 2 drives in this PC. One is the original which was a Maxtor and now is the backup drive and the other is an Hitachi I bought when the Maxtor dumped the whole directory for no apparent reason. The only way I got anything back was to buy a new drive, re-install the operating system to that, connect the Maxtor as D and use some very expensive software to recover it sector by sector.
I wouldn't mind but my wife's Maxtor drive did exactly the same thing a few weeks later.
Neither of the drives was a year old at the time and neither of them has had a problem since reformatting and installation as drive D.
I hope this isn't your problem but to make sure you can get software free to trial on the net that'll let you check it for data.

JoK
21st November 2007, 00:38
I can give you the name of a very good computer guy here in Halifax who is reasonable in price and will go to your place.

treeve
21st November 2007, 01:23
Hi Bob ... Have you attempted to read the external drive from
another PC? Have you attempted to recover any lost/deleted
files from the external drive with another PC; it may be worth
a check. Have you checked the original files that you attempted
to back-up to make sure they have not been corrupted by XP.
I am not sure as to just what XP is supposed to mean, but I
have other ideas. Personally I want a computer that works, instead
of them having concentrated on a lot of fancy graphics and stupid
sound effects. It has taken me a while to purge this machine of all
the trash and idiotic intended Paths. Best of Luck, Raymond

Keltic Star
21st November 2007, 02:01
While the wife was on the phone and not paying attention, tried what you suggested Treeve and the files were there. Totally wiped the Maxtor's software and restored the 'puter to an earlier date and plugged the Maxtor back in. Up came all the lost data. It won't do automatic backups any more but it was always hit and miss in the first place and I'm not going to push my luck by messing with things again.

Will replace the Maxtor in the next couple of days and then it will be taking a flying lesson with a sea plane endorsement!

Commiserate with your similar experiences Marconi Sahib, nice to know you have an expert on stand by Jok, with my limited knowledge will probably need him in the future.

Gentlemen, thanks for your input, suggestions and help.

Bob

lakercapt
21st November 2007, 03:45
Got a new "dell" computer and for the last two weks been trying to get it to do what its supposed to. Windows XP 2007 edition is the pits and it keeps dumping Outlook Express. Sympatico(India Div) tells me its a microsoft problem. Dell don't know.
Outlook Express has lost the spell check Wo is me as that was great now I don't know when to insert too,two or to!!!
They are supposed to make life easier. Least the hard drive still is operational.
Bill

treeve
21st November 2007, 03:46
I don't know what you do to perform back-ups, but I avoid using
back-up programmes ... I simply use Windows Explorer and select
files direct and copy them to another folder, namely the external
drive (or rather one or other of them) .. I can then copy them again
to my laptop in the same way. It also helps not to select large
folders or a mass of files, the write is often slower than read and
the windows copying process collapses. Few at a time is best.
Glad you have all the files safely. Best Wishes, Raymond

treeve
21st November 2007, 03:52
Hi Bill, until you can sort Outlook Express, I suggest you write your
emails in Notepad, do your spellcheck and copy across; or get a more
sympathetic person to write to ..... I am a bit of a pedant, but my fingers
don't type what my mind is thinking. I get a lot of problems with XP
but I am not afraid to delve into the Registry and sort it; I guess
that you should find the best spellcheck from a local "witch report".
Bestaluck, Raymond

tedc
21st November 2007, 13:23
Got a new "dell" computer and for the last two weks been trying to get it to do what its supposed to. Windows XP 2007 edition is the pits and it keeps dumping Outlook Express. Sympatico(India Div) tells me its a microsoft problem. Dell don't know.
Outlook Express has lost the spell check Wo is me as that was great now I don't know when to insert too,two or to!!!
They are supposed to make life easier. Least the hard drive still is operational.
Bill

When these things happen we tend to forget the "Sale of Goods Act".
If you buy a pc with software already enclosed you must be entitled to a fix or replacement as and when you decide the box isn't "fit for the purpose".
Suggest you contact your local Trading Standards Office and ask them why they wouldn't represent you in these circumstances.

I think the following is how it is supposed to work - but you might want to check formally with the TSO:-

-------------------------%<----------------------

The sale of goods act is a binding contract between the customer and the COMPANY. not the sales person or the local store. (unless the local store is a one man band, meaning it is the companies head quaters).

this helps the customer because if the sales person was to quit, get sacked, get promoted or even die. the customers rights have not been lost. if the local store gets relocated, rebranded or shuts down the customers rights have not been lost.

the local store is just a point of contact. they can offer advice and if they are able they CAN assist in the repair or replacement. but they are not legally required to.

if however head office refuse to then this is a breach.

Sale Of Goods Act says this:
within a reasonable time from purchase (usually just a couple weeks) the company can offer three remedies:
repair
replace
refund
the remedies have to be a joint decision where it has to be least inconvenient to the customer and least expensive to the company.

after this short period the company only have to initially offer two remedies:
repair
replace
if they however dont repair or replace the product within a reasonable time or the repair is unsatisfactory then the customer can ask for a refund.

reasonable time in weeks is not stated in SOGA but companies normally have their own policies such as argos 14 days currys and pcworld 28 days

----------------------%<----------------------------

lakercapt
21st November 2007, 16:32
Thanks for that "Tadc" but it was an EBay purchase.
Caveat Emptor I think is the expression.
Will re install Outlook Express when I get a new C/D and the a big hammer.
Bill

treeve
21st November 2007, 16:48
But surely (stop calling me shirley) Windows is contained on
a massive cabs file on your drive? It can be fully re-installed
from the drive (a partial restore) preserving all your own files.
However, I would save everything off in any case. Best way
but longest, is to do a full restore of the drive (after conserving
your personal files) and start all over. All best, Raymond

benjidog
21st November 2007, 22:56
I am going to add a post to an old thread I started which provides some useful advice on backups which you might like to take a look at. By doing that it will come back into view.

Regards,

Brian