Benarmin recruitment film

doug mac
24th November 2007, 03:14
Does anyone remember a recruitment film that Ben Line made aboard the Benarmin round about 1964. I saw it while I was still in School and again 2 years later when I was cadet on the Valla. It told the story of a cadets` first trip to sea. They focussed on all the nicities of being at sea. Never being out of uniform, trips to all the tourist attractions(never did any of them myself) and generally made it out to be all wine and roses.Boy did they suck us in. Never seen him cleaning bilges or closing Macgregors in monsoon rain or standing in 100 degrees counting mailbags in Singapore, Or any of the jobs that nobody would do except the cadets. Always wonder what really happened on his first trip.Maybe one of you guys was on the Armin at the time

Doug

Locking Splice
24th November 2007, 09:47
Hi Doug,

Not sure if its the same film, but Des Cox's marvoulous series of Snowbow Videos the great liners "Ports and Bens" has a proffesionaly made film of a Cadet joining a Ben Boat, its good viewing, Its in my collection somewhere cannot remember the name of the ship but it sounds about right.

Best Regards

Yuge

ian keyl
24th November 2007, 11:19
Hi Doug,

I have seen ( I think )all the films Ben made and many stills for magazines and newspapers in the far east, asyou may recall we had many south east asia nationals sailing as cadets and up to second mates, so the company was keen to report back to thier country of origin about thier progress, it all helps smooth the path of the future.
regarding the promotional film i think it was an older vessel than the Armin
possibly the Vrackie , as the lads went to visit a tin mine in Malaysia and rubber plantations , Iam trying to think who one of the cadets was.
What year were you on the Valla I was on thier for a year 65/66.
I will phone a friend about the film Archie Watters in Edinburgh he is like the un official keepre of Ben Info.
You are correct thereal world was not depicted but it never was when at college at Saudi Shields I saw a Clan Line and Stricks film all the same bull s==t,

Rgds Ian.
Rgds

Tom S
24th November 2007, 11:30
Ian
when you speak to Archie give him my best regards
TomS

doug mac
24th November 2007, 16:46
Ian,
I thought it was the Armin, but you may be right(I`ve got a good memory, but it`s just short) I did in fact sail with you on the Valla, my first and your last coast.I recall there were 4 cadets on that coast cause i was using the junior R/O`s cabin. Stayed for 4 trips and another coast Fabulous crew. D.Cowie(master) one of the very best I had the pleasure to sail with. C/O Jim Galloway a real gentleman George Walker 1st Mate, George Marriot 2nd Mate and first trip 3rd Donald Sutherland. Dave Kite and Ian Godber were the other two cadets. Then joined the Benstac in Glasgow for her first 2 trips. Another great crew Except for the guy at the top, who shall remain nameless.
Anyway If there is anyone who knows where I might get a copy of the film I would greatly appreciate it. Would be fun to show the kids.

Best wishes
Doug

forthbridge
24th November 2007, 20:29
Does anyone remember a recruitment film that Ben Line made aboard the Benarmin round about 1964. I saw it while I was still in School and again 2 years later when I was cadet on the Valla. It told the story of a cadets` first trip to sea. They focussed on all the nicities of being at sea. Never being out of uniform, trips to all the tourist attractions(never did any of them myself) and generally made it out to be all wine and roses.Boy did they suck us in. Never seen him cleaning bilges or closing Macgregors in monsoon rain or standing in 100 degrees counting mailbags in Singapore, Or any of the jobs that nobody would do except the cadets. Always wonder what really happened on his first trip.Maybe one of you guys was on the Armin at the time

Doug

I think the film that you are talking about was made on Benloyal, called Eastern Sisters. I was on the Vorlich at the time around 1960 or 61 and the cadet was sent to us for part of the coast and part of that was filmed as well. Maybe the Vorlich was a bit of a culture shock to him at the time as Benloyal at that time was the newest ship and Benvorlich was one of the oldest.

Dave Toshack
Cant remember his first name but i think his second name was McDonald.

Joe Freeman
24th November 2007, 20:30
I remember seeing a Ben Line promotional film during one of my trips on the Benvalla. I think it was about the Benloyal or Bengloe. The one thing I remember was the Chief Engineer in between the boilers checking the burner and looking through the inspection sightglass with his flashlight. I wonder what happened to that Film.
I have acopy of the Ports and Bens video. I will now have to have another look. My wife says to me "Is that you looking at that video again." she just cringes when I bring it out to show our friends.
Thanks for the memories,
Joe.

EBenarty
24th November 2007, 22:46

Doug

I remember the film well ,but on my first trips in Ben Line I did not have the pleasure of McGregor hatches an[=P] [=P] [=P] [=P] d had the pleasure of putting tents across the hatches and then had to continuously bale them out !! Together with that annd the electric shocks from the lanterns it would have made a good comedy which I am sure they would never have shown.

Locking Splice
25th November 2007, 11:59
Rewatched the Snowbow Video today and can confirm the ship in question is in deed the Benloyal. There is also some good footage of the launch of the Bengloe.

Willie Mac
25th November 2007, 13:03
If you go onto the Scottish Screen Archives website there is a fascinating short film (about 20 minutes)called The Bens. It was shot in 1967 and shows scenes from the Ben Line offices and clips of various Ben boats, Benledi, Benrinnes,Benvorlich, Benmacdhui and the Benmhor. The film can be ordered online and is a must for any former Ben Line guys.

forthbridge
25th November 2007, 21:02
If you go onto the Scottish Screen Archives website there is a fascinating short film (about 20 minutes)called The Bens. It was shot in 1967 and shows scenes from the Ben Line offices and clips of various Ben boats, Benledi, Benrinnes,Benvorlich, Benmacdhui and the Benmhor. The film can be ordered online and is a must for any former Ben Line guys.

I looked for this one on the Scottish Screen Archives website but could not find it. I used the title 'The Bens' in the search but it did not show anything except a film about mountains. Do you have any more information?

One other thought about the Benloyal film I remember the reason the film team were sent to the Vorlich was to see some of the more exciting places that the new ships did not go to such as loading logs at Tanjong Mani (Rejang)

Willie Mac
26th November 2007, 10:10
forthbridge

If you type in Ben Line Shipping in the Search Box it should direct you to the right page. Then click on the title, The Bens, and it will show you exactly what is on the film. You can order a copy online. Cost me 17.

Willie Mac

forthbridge
26th November 2007, 20:54
Thank you, I found it.

forthbridge
28th November 2007, 15:22
You can see the promotion material for this film at www.ben-line.org.uk
click on ephemera and then paper ephemera

Mark57
8th December 2007, 00:30
This photo of the Benarmin was taken in1965 by my father.
We were on our way back from Singapore as passengers on Benvannoch.
Not sure where but possibly around Port Swettenham.
Mark

Brummiepete
29th February 2012, 15:36
I was 'fortunate' enough to be one of the Cadets on that voyage and I think that the name of the 'Main Man' was Donald McDonald. He used to go ashore and do all the intersting visits, etc. The other Cadet and myself complained to the Producer and he got us a day ashore in Hong Kong while DM had to do the dirty work for a change.

doug mac
29th February 2012, 16:55
Thanks Peter, thought that might be the case. must have been an interesting trip

Doug

Waighty
29th February 2012, 19:53
Ian,
I thought it was the Armin, but you may be right(I`ve got a good memory, but it`s just short) I did in fact sail with you on the Valla, my first and your last coast.I recall there were 4 cadets on that coast cause i was using the junior R/O`s cabin. Stayed for 4 trips and another coast Fabulous crew. D.Cowie(master) one of the very best I had the pleasure to sail with. C/O Jim Galloway a real gentleman George Walker 1st Mate, George Marriot 2nd Mate and first trip 3rd Donald Sutherland. Dave Kite and Ian Godber were the other two cadets. Then joined the Benstac in Glasgow for her first 2 trips. Another great crew Except for the guy at the top, who shall remain nameless.
Anyway If there is anyone who knows where I might get a copy of the film I would greatly appreciate it. Would be fun to show the kids.

Best wishes
Doug

I did my first coast on Benvalla in April/May 1966, Ian Godber I remember from schooldays in Hong Kong and I knew Dave Kite's name but can't recall if I met him. Have the feeling that one of the cadets was a big bloke with a beard - maybe wrong, grey matter aint what it was! Plenderleith was master on that coast.

Waighty
29th February 2012, 20:03
I remember the film well ,but on my first trips in Ben Line I did not have the pleasure of McGregor hatches an[=P] [=P] [=P] [=P] d had the pleasure of putting tents across the hatches and then had to continuously bale them out !! Together with that annd the electric shocks from the lanterns it would have made a good comedy which I am sure they would never have shown.

Baling out tents - what a great job - mind numblingly repetitive and even more exciting when cargo clusters were involved; such pleasant little shocks! I can't remember which ship now but F Shed West India Docks, baling out tents, leaned over too far and disappeared into upper tween deck! Slightly shocked and sore but otherwise unhurt (luckily). Everyone seemed to find it very amusing including Jack Dash's finest.

Best ships for tents - Benrinnes and Bennevis; rig tent, switch on Cargocaire system, tent balloons out, no baling required. That is until securing lines break!

DURANGO
1st March 2012, 07:16
Baling out tents - what a great job - mind numblingly repetitive and even more exciting when cargo clusters were involved; such pleasant little shocks! I can't remember which ship now but F Shed West India Docks, baling out tents, leaned over too far and disappeared into upper tween deck! Slightly shocked and sore but otherwise unhurt (luckily). Everyone seemed to find it very amusing including Jack Dash's finest.

Best ships for tents - Benrinnes and Bennevis; rig tent, switch on Cargocaire system, tent balloons out, no baling required. That is until securing lines break! There,s a name from the past Jack Dash .

Waighty
1st March 2012, 16:55
There,s a name from the past Jack Dash .

Indeed! The man himself worked, and I use the term lightly, aboard Benledi in 1966. He certainly had a presence. Another thing I recall about those days was the dockers coming up the gangway singing that Cilla Black classic but in a Cockney accent - Woss it all abaaaahhht Alfee.

Waighty
7th March 2012, 19:32

I made contact with SSA and have orderd the film on dvd for a cost of 23 odd. You have to sign a disclaimer and promise faithfully that it'll only be for private and personal use. I should receive it some time in early April. I already have the Snowbow dvd.