Rms Circassia

Wainui
16th April 2005, 11:24
Truly magnifficent ships. And very good food. I sailed on her in the late 1950s.
I have a pic of the Circassia but the file size is 1.04 MB too big for this forum.
Will see if I can reduce it.

Doug Rogers
16th May 2005, 09:02
That cleaned up well didnt it, u really have taken Ron's advice to heart!!. Great stuff.
Doug

R651400
9th August 2005, 17:30
Wainui, our town Doctor, Dr Anderson, went down to the sea in ships, joining the Circassia when he retired, after a long and very active life as a GP.
Wonder if he was aboard during your time?

michael james
10th August 2005, 01:03
Well done Zelda, great job on the photos.

I never saw the Circassia in the flesh, so to speak, but a fine looking vessel.

Bruce Carson
10th August 2005, 02:04
I'm pretty sure, as a teenager, I used to see the Anchor Line's last trio at Yorkhill Quay in the fifties.
I always thought they were about the best looking motor liners ever built.
Most Glaswegians really thought of the company as "theirs".

Bruce C.

cunamara
10th August 2005, 04:54
Bruce,
Very pleased to have a picture of Circasia. My father, Albert Roche sailed in her during the war patrolling the Straits of Murmansk. He served on several ships but Circasia was always his favorite, maybe because he was from Glasgow, the home port of theAnchor Line.
cunamara (Peter Roche)

ian jackson
11th August 2005, 15:54
I sailed on both the Cicassia and Celicia from the UK to India in the 50's when I was a nipper. It was in the days before mass air travel and as my Dad worked in Calcutta it was the only way for us to join him. I have very fond memories of both ships, great fun for young kids and to my adolescent mind some wonderful looking females amongst the medical sraff

Ian

android
20th September 2005, 20:27
My grandmother used to be quite the traveller. She went to Bombay in the early 1950's as my grandfather was in the oil business. I was cleaning up some of the "artifacts" we rescued from here home and found a badly tarnished silver ashtray. After cleaning, I found that it is imprinted "RMS Cilicia." I suppose she must have pinched it.

albatross1923
4th January 2007, 16:35
Sailed As 5TH ENGR RMS CIRCASSIA 29.6.50 3O.9.50 My wife Was Nannie on

Her FROM oct1948 to oct 195O
ALBATROSS1923

Kaskazi
20th January 2007, 21:38
"My father, Albert Roche sailed in her during the war patrolling the Straits of Murmansk. He served on several ships but Circasia was always his favorite, maybe because he was from Glasgow, the home port of theAnchor Line."

The first headmaster of my high school in Kenya was briefly Captain of Circassia in late 1940 when she was fitted out as an Armed Merchant Cruiser.

My brief comment on this was " She was at that time assigned to the Northern and Western Patrols. The decision had already been taken that strategically, the AMCs were a failure and that they should all be converted to troopships."

Some of us put together an account of his life and you will find a picture of Cilicia in her wartime drab at
http://www.oldcambrians.com/Nicholson.html - about 2/3rds or 3/4s down the page.

A good place for other Anchor Line pictures, including Circassia and Cilicia (scroll quite a way down) is at
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Anchor.html#anchor89589

ruud
21st January 2007, 12:48
Ahoy,
The CIRCASSIA 1937 Courtesy/ęBettina Rohbrecht

jeremycw
19th March 2008, 17:58
I sailed on the Circassia, as a 9 year old, from Liverpool to Karachi, Pakistan. We departed Liverpool on 17 March 1962, and not long after were in the Bay of Biscay, where we hit hit by the worst storm in some 35 years. The ship was holed and was apparently near to sinking - one person died. Our luggage in the hold was ruined by sea water, and I recall all the crashing of things being thrown around. We eventually made calmer waters and on to Gibralter, Port Said, Aden and then Karachi.

gfcwatson
10th June 2009, 17:28
RMS Circassia, 1948 to 1950

Do you remember Bill Campbell, Mrs. "Thornton" - shop, Tam Keith ( 2nd. Eng ) excetra, excetra

msabio2003
1st October 2011, 05:37
I am really happy to find this site and read through some of the posts, brings back some fond memories of childhood in the 50's. We had lived in Govan but my Dad had a job in Aden working for a company called Mothercat. We sailed back and forth several times on the Cilicia and Circassia and I remember distinct sights and smells of those trips. 8mm movies were taken but have not survived the years sadly.

Pat Kennedy
1st October 2011, 14:18
I had a close encounter with the Circassia on the Clyde in the 1960s. I was on Blue Funnel's Jason alongside the mills at Meadowside Quay discharging grain.
It was quite late on a Saturday night and a crowd of us were returning to the ship after an evening ashore. As we climbed the gangway, there was an almighty crash and the ship lurched violently. Some of us got aboard, others were stranded on the quay, as moorings started to carry away fore and aft.
A look over to the Port side showed a large vessel with her bows deep in Jason's side, just at the break of the aft well deck.
It was the Circassia, which had apparently lost her steering and rammed the Jason.
After much confusion, shouting and running around, Circassia backed off and we managed to make fast again.In fact, only the two insurance wires saved us from driting off down the Clyde.
We ended up in Barclay Curles drydocks for a good while, I dont know if the Circassia continued her passage to Birkenhead.
Regards,
Pat

lestrange64
26th February 2013, 15:18
Just researching the family tree and it appears the Lestrange's were passengers on the Circassia on 12/08/1952 from Karachi to Livepool

ben27
8th March 2013, 01:22
good morning wainui.re:16-april-2005,19:64,r.m.s.circassia.just noted your name,wainui and you are in n.z.i was not on the ship in your tread,but i wanted to ask you.is wainui-o-mata.its just the wife and i built our first homme there.no worries just an inquiry for old times sake.have a good dayben27