Blue Ensign

tony poutch
25th November 2007, 20:34
When i was on Diomed the Captain i think his name wasCurphy hard to make out name in discharge book flew Blue Ensign anyone know what was the reason for this

Santos
25th November 2007, 20:44
He must have been an officer of the rank of lieutenant RN/RMR or Captain RM/RMR or above in the Royal Fleet Reserve.

Chris.

tony poutch
25th November 2007, 20:56
Thanks for that Chris

Bill Davies
25th November 2007, 21:03
Tony,

That would have been McCaffery.

Brgds

Bill

tony poutch
25th November 2007, 21:16
Bill thank you cheers Tony

Chouan
28th November 2007, 13:05
My understanding was, and I could, of course, be wrong, that there had to be 2 RNR officers for there to be a Blue Ensign flown.
Purely empirical evidence, based on hearsay, but the story I was told by an Ellermans 3/0 who was a Cadet on the ship runs thus:
The City of Oxford's regular Master was RNR, and loved his Blue Ensign. However, he could only fly it if another RNR officer joined. So, when an RNR 2/0 joined, up went the Blue Ensign. When the 2/0 went home on leave, down came the Blue Ensign. When the 2/0 rejoined he told the Old Man, "you can put up my Blue Ensign now", much to his frustration!

Bill Davies
28th November 2007, 18:52
Chouan,

I find the 'Blue Ensign' stuff interesting and no doubt held in high regard by those who were permitted to fly it. However, I recall in the BF that nothing was more important than the seniority of their Masters. Dipping the ensign was indeed a ritual and did land several Officers in a spot of trouble.
The Junior Masters always 'dipped' to the more senior. Generally this was fairly easy as 'As' dipped to 'Ds' dipped to 'Ms' dipped to 'H' or 'P'.
Difficult to establish a Masters seniority when two 'A' were passing in the Indian. The Masters would know and woe betide the Officer who got it wrong.
Ulimately, the senior Master ended up on 'Peleus'. BF did not recognise Commodore but the Master of the 'Peleus' was as good as such. When I was on 'Peleus' Laxton was Master and followed by (I believe) McDavid and Albert 'Bronco' Lane ( that was say the 60/67).

Santos
28th November 2007, 20:41
I have just found this, hope it helps :-

The Blue Ensign undefaced is flown by masters of vessels in possession of a warrant issued by the Director of Naval Reserves, and by the members of certain yacht clubs. Such warrants are issued to officers in the active or retired lists of the Royal Naval Reserve and the maritime reserve forces of other Commonwealth Realms and territories. The master must be of the rank of Lieutenant RN or above, and fishing vessels must be crewed by at least four other Royal Naval reservists or pensioners.

Chris.

Jim S
28th November 2007, 21:07
There is a website that claims to have the definitive Home Office regulations on flying Blue Ensign.
For those of us who thought there had to be more than one qualifying officer on board the following is an abstract
1951 Master plus 4
1952 Master plus 2 if crew are mainly Asian
1958 Master plus 1
1965 Captain RNR in own right

Chouan
28th November 2007, 23:15
City of Oxford, of course, had Indian crew, and I don't know when the story dates from.

holland25
29th November 2007, 04:25
Might it have been Curphey?. I sailed with him on the Alcinous and Ulysses late 50s. Dont recall him being RNR though.

jodalo
29th November 2007, 08:37
From thje Navy News:-

As a special privilege, some yacht clubs have also been granted use of the Blue Ensign, with or without a badge. Merchant vessels commanded by officers of the Royal Naval Reserve are, subject to certain conditions, also allowed to wear it.

Full Article

http://www.navynews.co.uk/articles/2000/0011/1000110602.asp

tony poutch
29th November 2007, 17:08
Might it have been Curphey?. I sailed with him on the Alcinous and Ulysses late 50s. Dont recall him being RNR though.

My mistake i was with Curphey but that was on Ixion in 66 Bill has confirmed it was McCaffery.

Trevorw
30th November 2007, 16:27
It wasn't McCaffery! I sailed with him on two occasions and he definitely wasn't RNR.

tony poutch
30th November 2007, 17:25
It wasn't McCaffery! I sailed with him on two occasions and he definitely wasn't RNR.

I am unable to make out name in discharge book but i rember him well .I do remember when at sea he wore a kind of baseball cap with gold braid which i thought was unusual at the time,My impression of him at the time was of a very strict and descent man

Bill Davies
30th November 2007, 20:58
Trevorw,

Was McCaffery Master when you sailed with him??

oceanken
30th November 2007, 21:15
Wasn't McCaffery much later than that ? I remember as midshipman ironing the Blue ensigns for Capt.Des. Stewart on Glenogle............. think I've still got one somewhere in the attic!

Bill Davies
30th November 2007, 22:01
Wasn't McCaffery much later than that ? I remember as midshipman ironing the Blue ensigns for Capt.Des. Stewart on Glenogle............. think I've still got one somewhere in the attic!

That is the point I am trying to make. Looking at Trev's profile McCaffery would have been Mate and unlikely ro have mentioned RNR or you would not know it as only the Master had the right to fly it.