T.S Dolphin

thunderd
18th April 2005, 06:44
I wonder if anyone did their training on the Dolphin in Leith. I was part of the group in the attached photo taken in 1955. If you are in the photo or attended the Dolphin about that time I'd love to hear from you.

Regards
Derek Blair

Stuart.Henderson
20th October 2005, 21:40
Hi Derek
I did my training at the Dolphin starting Jan 65 and still have a photo like yours taken at the gangway,

Regards
Stuart

thunderd
20th October 2005, 22:57
Hi Stuart, I've now accumulated quite a few photos of the Dolphin and a few of the staff but I still haven't managed to find one of her before she became an "accomodation ship, she actually had quite an interesting history and saw a bit of action as a warship.

fredkinghorn
25th October 2005, 21:32
Thunderd--your photo reminds me of when I did my Cook's ticket on the " Dolphin "
There was a small bird at the porthole at the back of one of the galley stoves. The ship's cat saw it and jumped up to catch it. the cat landed allfours on the top of the stove and then at a great rate of knots went right throgh the porthole and into the dock. It was fished out and taken to the vet with badly burned pawpads. Onlt eight lives left.

John Rogers
25th October 2005, 22:20
And which handsome fellow would you be Derek.????? Inquiring minds need to know.
John.
P.S. Please don't tell me you are the hairy one.

thunderd
25th October 2005, 22:50
And which handsome fellow would you be Derek.????? Inquiring minds need to know.
John.
P.S. Please don't tell me you are the hairy one.

The weedy looking one, front row fourth from the left [=P]

John Rogers
26th October 2005, 00:09
Well,Well.Well,as the old saying goes,you are the hairy one after all.
John.

thunderd
26th October 2005, 00:55
Oh dear, you are definitely back aren't you John....a positive thorn in my side.

wee bobby
1st April 2006, 21:50
HI I was on the dolphin about 1960 a.d. in the east old dock,seems like forever-ago---Wee Bobby (Hippy)

Argyll
2nd April 2006, 13:25
hi wee bobby,
Iwas on Dolphin late 1960/early 61 I take it you were intake before me,
Argyll

allan besant
2nd April 2006, 14:25
Hi, Argyll, what was your dates for the Dolphin. was there from 18/10/60 till 10/02/61 deck course. regards Allan.

Argyll
2nd April 2006, 16:54
Hi Allan,
I was in the same intake as you I still have the group photo . I thought I recognised the name. I have been up in your part of the world with the Hebridean Isles, Releiving the Hamnavoe. nice to hear from you after all theswe years , I wonder what happened to all the guys that were with us.
Best regards Argyll. (Alistair Kernachan)

wee bobby
2nd April 2006, 17:18
HI Argyll--yes ITHINK IT WAS ABOUT THE JUNE 1960 --MEMORY STARTING TO FADE---CAN ONLY REMEMBER CAPT. TAIT?--WEE BOBBY

thunderd
3rd April 2006, 01:54
Here are a couple of photos of Captain tait and some of the other staff members.

R651400
3rd April 2006, 08:17
White haired gent 2nd from left b&w shot, Allan Fisher LNC Principal from 1938?

thunderd
3rd April 2006, 10:19
White haired gent 2nd from left b&w shot, Allan Fisher LNC Principal from 1938?

Yes you are right Malcolm he was the principal until 1966, you've been reading your copy of "The Sea Dominies" haven't you?

On page 14 I loved the quote from Dr. Samuel Johnson who said last century "No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company".

I totally disagree with him but I guess he was saying that a very long time ago, and I liked the quote.

wully farquhar
20th April 2006, 13:27
Hi Derreck,Who is the chap back row far left,his face is familiar

thunderd
21st April 2006, 01:07
Wully, his name was Flockhart and I think his first name was Ron, he was one of the seamanship instructors and a really good guy, as indeed I found they all were. I don't know where he originated from.

wully farquhar
21st April 2006, 04:05
Sorry Derek,it was the chap in the group photo that i was enquiring about,i did recognise Mr Flockart,no he was not one of my favourites,Harry Lines i think he was called was my best instructor.
Cheers,---------Wully. (Thumb)

thunderd
21st April 2006, 05:16
Sorry about the mistake Wully. I can remember each face but I'm afraid the names are lost in the mist of time (or senility). They were a great bunch of guys and there isn't much I wouldn't give to learn what became of them all.

As a matter of interest a fair few of them were Shelties.

Stuart.Henderson
21st April 2006, 13:45
Looking at photo, these are the names as I recall:

Flockart, Adam Tait, "Jo" Johanson Chief Cook, unknown, Bill? Sutherland, unknown.

Sutherland had been quite a useful boxer in his day and he had the ring set up a few times for our entertainment a few bleeding noses! Flockart had a son who I sailed with as 2nd Mate on the Cortona (Donaldsons) in 1966.

Regards
Stuart

WLH
21st April 2006, 14:13
David Flockhart, born just along the road in Newhaven, sadly passed on. Ex Gibsons etc. Son Colin, Salveson's, went on to Master.
Regards....................WLH

notnila
22nd December 2006, 22:18
The first"unknown" I think Williamson, known to all as "Shooders" .The second "unknown ? McDonald Catering Instructor

Iain Lourie
5th February 2007, 21:02
Quote "Looking at photo, these are the names as I recall: Flockart, Adam Tait, "Jo" Johanson Chief Cook, unknown, Bill? Sutherland, unknown."

Hey Stuart,

In the picture the last one in line is MacDonald, beside old 'Sudsy' Sutherland if I recall.

Iain Lourie
5th February 2007, 21:18
Harry Lines i think he was called was my best instructor.
Cheers,---------Wully. (Thumb)

Reggie Lines... :) Yes he was very good....
He used say 'Clobber chops' a lot.
Spoke with slight lispy 'Ch' as if pronouncing with the side of the tongue rather than the front. :)

Binnacle
7th February 2007, 21:08
Prior to being run by Leith Nautical, the Dolphin was a club for boys who had an interest in the sea or boats. Financed by local shipping interests. "Old Mac" Macdonald was in charge, he was an ex RN P.O. I think he was gunnery CPO on HMS Claverhouse. He always had a twinkle in his eye when he was telling us off, "a crowd of slugs", after sky larking in the boats etc. He knew how to handle boys, we all respected him. There was very little drill unlike the Boy Scouts etc. When the Nautical took over Mac was replaced by Capt Tait. Did the DB course in 45 and the DEMS course at HMS Claverhouse.

ernhelenbarrett
8th February 2007, 11:01
Hi I did the deck boys course on the TS Dolphin way back in 1946-47, Capt Tait was there then and the seamanship instructor was a Mr Macdonald who
had been a Gunnery Instructor on the Dolphin when she actually "sailed". He was only about 5 ft 6 inches both tall and round and had bow legs too but a great instructor Rgds and 73's Ern Barrett

ernhelenbarrett
14th June 2007, 12:42
I did the Deck boys course on the Dolphin in 1947 and Capt Tait was in charge with wee Mac doing the seamanship course, I still have very long arms from rowing those 27 foot Montague Whalers round the dock
Ern Barrett, now in Adelaide South Oz

lakercapt
14th June 2007, 15:05
As ax ex "Dolphin" boy I remember on the Cadet course you spent the first term there and the second term a the colege on Comercial Street.
The last term was way out in the docks at the radar station.
On the morning of February 6th 1952 we were rowing thes massive boats up and down the old East and West Docks with a thin covering of ice on the water. Bloody cool.
Got back to the Dolphin and secured the boats.
Found out that the King had died.
Good memeory/ No it was my birthday
Bill

John Campbell
14th June 2007, 19:15
I did the Deck boys course on the Dolphin in 1947 and Capt Tait was in charge with wee Mac doing the seamanship course, I still have very long arms from rowing those 27 foot Montague Whalers round the dock
Ern Barrett, now in Adelaide South Oz

I did a 3 month Deck Boy's course on Dolphin prior joining Bank Line as a Cadet in April 1953.

I remember Adam Tait well and visited him when he retired to Kiess, in Caithness, when I was home on leave.

We had a "Charlie" the night watchman to contend with on the Dolhin who made sure that all lights were out and we were all in our bunks and no noise after 2230.except on Sat night when we got a late pass. Do you remember morning inspections with Capt. Tait and his retinue making sure we had the decks scrubbed and our beds neatly made?(Jester)

We got good training on Dolphin which we surely needed before getting our first seagoing ship.

mdqld01
21st April 2008, 08:25
My father went to TS DOLPHIN, training to be a steward. I have a photo of him and his classmates with the dates January - March 1954. His name was Brian Davidson, he spent about 10 years in the MN, was with the Orient/Blue Star lines and a few others.

Iain Lourie
22nd April 2008, 04:39
Some names I recall

Eddie Maguire - Cadet - Edinburgh
Douglas Francis - Cadet
Hugh Malcolm - Cadet -Wick?
Michael Jamieson - Cadet - Shetland
Tony Chapman - Cadet - Musselburgh
Ian Mackay - Cadet - Wick?
Allan Mackie - Cadet - Edinburgh
Stu Whatcott (Deceased) - Dalkieth?
Ian Boucher (sp? + His dad was engineer tutor at LNC)
??? Linklater - Ex Texaco -Tutor
Brian Laurenson - Cadet - Shetland
Charlie Dowie - Cadet (Orkney)
Norman Dunnet - Cadet - Edinburgh
Frank Heavie - Cadet - Edinburgh
Allan MacKenzie - Cadet - Borders
Alec Murray? - Cadet - Also Bosun on Dolphin
Gordon Siegel - Cadet - Inverness

Can't recall anymore at mo' :)

mdqld01
14th May 2008, 08:41
My father Brian Davidson, first on left middle row. TS DOLPHIN Jan - March 1954.

stevie burgess
30th December 2008, 01:29
Some names I recall

Eddie Maguire - Cadet - Edinburgh
Douglas Francis - Cadet
Hugh Malcolm - Cadet -Wick?
Michael Jamieson - Cadet - Shetland
Tony Chapman - Cadet - Musselburgh
Ian Mackay - Cadet - Wick?
Allan Mackie - Cadet - Edinburgh
Stu Whatcott (Deceased) - Dalkieth?
Ian Boucher (sp? + His dad was engineer tutor at LNC)
??? Linklater - Ex Texaco -Tutor
Brian Laurenson - Cadet - Shetland
Charlie Dowie - Cadet (Orkney)
Norman Dunnet - Cadet - Edinburgh
Frank Heavie - Cadet - Edinburgh
Allan MacKenzie - Cadet - Borders
Alec Murray? - Cadet - Also Bosun on Dolphin
Gordon Siegel - Cadet - Inverness

Can't recall anymore at mo' :)Hi Iain,I sailed with Capt G.Siegel on a small ro ro running from Kirkwall-Invergordon several years ago(a real gentleman)he was with Arklow Shipping before that for a number of years.He was with Orkney Harbours but back at sea again on the local ferries.

R651400
30th December 2008, 07:36
Ian Boucher, father engineer instructor LNC. Wonder if you mean Boetcher who was LNC radio instructor when I took my PMG 1956.
Three cadets who attended Dolphin and travelled with me daily, Andy Ross, Jim McMaster and Eck Clapperton. Another a bit later was Coby Cockburn who was tragically lost at sea.

Binnacle
30th December 2008, 21:59
Before Leith Nautical took over the Dolphin for pre sea training it was a boy's club and "Old Mac" , who had been a gunnery CPO on HMS Claverhouse was in charge. Local ship owners supplied the funding. Evening and weekends we used to go there and get a lot of enjoyment and tuition. Some nights "old mac" would get the .22 rifles out and we would compare accuracy. One night he had us de-greasing a new supply of live hand grenades (Mills bombs), they were for the Home Guard unit which was based in the docks. It was 1940 and all that. Our Dolphin pass permitted us to enter the docks and wander around looking at the vatrious ships. We all respected old MacDonald, his bark was worse than his bite. When we were away down the Old Dock in the English or Montague whalers and he suspected us of clowning around, he would get the megaphone and summon us back with "come back you crowd of slugs".

Iain Lourie
31st December 2008, 03:11
Hi Iain,I sailed with Capt G.Siegel on a small ro ro running from Kirkwall-Invergordon several years ago(a real gentleman)he was with Arklow Shipping before that for a number of years.He was with Orkney Harbours but back at sea again on the local ferries.

Well well....... Old Reggie Lines on the Dolphin used to call him Gannet :)

stevie burgess
31st December 2008, 23:42
Well well....... Old Reggie Lines on the Dolphin used to call him Gannet :)

Ha ha wait till i see him. I will tell him about you and the SN website as i don't think he's on it yet. I myself was at T.S.DOLPHIN Aug -Dec '75 near the end of it's era....i think they towed her out and set fire to her '77...shame.

FRANK FERRI
11th February 2009, 15:36
I wonder if anyone did their training on the Dolphin in Leith. I was part of the group in the attached photo taken in 1955. If you are in the photo or attended the Dolphin about that time I'd love to hear from you.

Regards
Derek Blair

Hi Derek,
I attended TS Dolphin 1951/52, brother Ian 5 years later, don't have class picture.. I lived only 10 minutes walk from "Old Dock" where she was berthed, Ballantyne Road opposite old State cinema in Junction St Leith.
Regards Frank Ferri

peteratow
11th February 2009, 21:42
Lots of Dolphin info and photos on www.allatsea.cx and click on sea schools.

davyt
13th September 2009, 20:29
I was on the deck course on the Dolphin 12 sep to 14 dec 1963 & have great memories of my time on board her.I would love to hear from anyone who was there at the same time as me.I was alowed to leave 2 days early the 12th dec to join my first ship the Benloyal in London on the 14th.stayed at sea till aug 67 & got married in sep 68.Davy Kirke Thomson (Saltcoats)Nicknamed KIRKIE while on the Dolphin.My brother Tommy was there in 1960 catering course.

neilcowan
22nd September 2009, 11:12
I was on the cadets course easter term 1958 then on to the nautical proper until 1959. Did 2nd mates and mates back at the nautical. Any old salts from then still around?

potty
29th September 2009, 20:44
I attended Leith in1975 and 1977 and we did seamanship on the Dolphin, although I'm not sure if there were bodies sleeping on board at those times.However looking at your list Malcolm Linklater moved to Glasgow College of Nautical Studies when Leith closed and retired about 2000-ish.Tony Chapman was 2/0 in Harry Clyde up to about 1985/86 and then rose to Master with Gearbulk.Sadly he died from a heart attack on board his vessel, in China,[I think},again in the early 2000's but his wife had a commerative bench put next to the Water of Leith, apparently near where the Dolphin used to be.

Iain Lourie
29th September 2009, 22:31
Malcolm Linklater moved to Glasgow College of Nautical Studies when Leith closed and retired about 2000-ish. Tony Chapman ... Sadly he died from a heart attack on board his vessel, in China,[I think},again in the early 2000's but his wife had a commerative bench put next to the Water of Leith, apparently near where the Dolphin used to be.

Ah yes Linklater. He was Ex Texaco and from memory he was doing his extra masters and started training / teaching us cadets. Great guy. He took us out on the Firth of Forth in the motor lifeboat to sail and play boats - man overboard etc.... Used to drive a maroon MkII Cortina, always polished and spotlessly clean. When we helped move the Dolphin into the Water of Leith berth behind the customhouse Linklater arrived in his khakis to assist, which we found quite humourous at the time.

Tony Chapman, shame he's gone. Another fine gent. From memory he was born in Tobruk, lived over Mussellburgh way- I assume his dad or someone was in the military. Had an unusual laugh, very distinctive. Quite a character too. Must have a look for the bench when I visit Leith next.

davyt
12th December 2009, 18:44
in the photo of the port deck crew of may to aug 63 the guy at the end of the back row was nicknamed Baggy,he had to repeat the course so was on the same course as me sep to dec 63 & passed.He was handy in the boxing ring.I am sure he was orphined & came from up north maybe Thurso or Banff wonder what became of him? P.S Photos on the Dolphin gallary.davy thomson.

philray
14th December 2009, 17:10
I was on the T/S Dolphin in APRIL 1951
then joined my first ship the S/S Southern Garden
happy years

John Campbell
14th December 2009, 17:57
Cadets Pictured here
http://www.allatsea.cx/images/dolphin/Nigel%20-%20Class%201953-4.jpg

was the class in 1953 when I left after doing 3 months to join Bank Line - Capt Tait persuaded me to parade in my Cadets Uniform with the class before going home for a few days and then going to join "Southbank".

Thanks Nigel for posting the pic - the only one I have of my time on that wonderful ship.
JC

http://www.allatsea.cx/images/dolphin/Nigel%20-%20Class%201953-4.jpg

ernhelenbarrett
15th December 2009, 04:52
RE Dolphin and Leith Nautical College Mr Boetcher took us for morse and practical when I did my PMG Ticket at the College in 1954. Got the shock of my life when I went back to Edinburgh for a holiday in 1980 and found that Leith Nautical College was no longer in Leith but down near Joppa, you couldnt even smell the sea where it is now, It was now nearer my old town of Portobello !!
Regards Ern Barrett

stevesherratt
15th December 2009, 14:11
Ern,

I was on the TS Dolphin Jan, Feb. and March of 62 and like you went back a couple of years ago and could find no trace of the West Old Dock, I went into a little library and asked but no one knew any thing about TS Dolphin but I eventually found the remains of the West Old Dock gate and looking back across the road I saw some shops where Tony’s Sweet Shop and Ice Cream used to be. I discovered one of the little shops was still in Tony’s Family and now run by his Grandson. They no longer make sweets but still make Ice Cream with home made raspberry sauce.

Good to see this thread on the old Dolphin.

Regards

Steve R770014

raymarosco
7th May 2011, 16:14
I was on the Dolphin 1956 57.doing the Catering Course.Best memories were of the boat races.I was stroke oar in the Catering Boat and we were never beaten.Have met only one guy since leaving. Did most of my days on BP Tankers working as Catering Boy up to Catering Officer.Left BP in 1968.Last ship was the Tenacity with a Cpt. from Isle of Man.Great ships,great times and great shipmates.Retired last year from the stand-by boats as an Advanced Medical Aider Deck hand.

sharronscott40
20th May 2013, 00:21

Regards
Derek Blair

Hi Derek
My dad Angus Scott joined the TS Dolphin in 1955 did you know him ?

Sharron Scott

raymarosco
20th May 2013, 07:40
I was on the Dolphin late fifties,as a trainee catering boy.Now retired from the stand by boats,Aberdeen.Raymond Hay.

sharronscott40
20th May 2013, 09:08
Hi raymond .my dad was in the catering also . Im gonna post a group pic up later today..sharron scott

backsplice
20th May 2013, 10:22
any of you Dolphin lads know Joe Miller (catering ) from Stonieburn near Bathgate around late 50,s ????? sailed with him on Currie,s "Shetland for 9 months 1958 a good shipmate !!

jg grant
20th May 2013, 11:22
Hi from NZ, did Dolphin catering 56/57 crewmates I can remember John Slaven, Mungo Brown, Davie Maver, ? Bell?.

raymarosco
21st May 2013, 06:44
Hi from NZ, did Dolphin catering 56/57 crewmates I can remember John Slaven, Mungo Brown, Davie Maver, ? Bell?.

I remember John Slaven and John Bell.I served with them on the Dolphin.John Bell was a chief steward same time as I was in BP late seventies.Heard not heard of him since.R.Hay

jg grant
25th May 2013, 06:40
Good one mate! You hung in the MN for a long time. I was gone by '66 for refusing a ship going out on the commie coast for two years. I get a bit crankie at the way these guys at the pool could play with your life and then bugger off home at five. Buckingham was one , can't remember the others. Anyway,long gone, thanks for your reply. And don't ask what I think about the N.U.S. that we all paid into for years. No one I know or have been in touch with got a penny back in superan.

raymarosco
25th May 2013, 08:00
Hi raymond .my dad was in the catering also . Im gonna post a group pic up later today..sharron scottHavent seen any photo of your dad,Doubt if I will know him as the name does not ring any bell.Many thanks for your interest.Regards,Raymond Hay.

munroejah
25th May 2013, 14:12

Regards
Derek Blair

Derek,
The man in the back row third from the left is Bill Alexander. I think he was from Edinburgh. He was senior cadet when I shared a cabin with him on the Benwyvis in 1957. He could play a mean accordion. The fuzzy wuzzys in Port Sudan loved it when he sat in the tween deck playing Scots country dance music while they laboured loading two hundred weight bags of cottonseed.
Also on my intake was Laughton Johnston of Edinburgh (Ben Line)now retired in Shetland.
Ian Donaldson also Edinburgh (Ben Line I think) Last I heard of him many moons ago was he was living in Eyemouth.
Then there was somebody Lindsay also of Edinburgh.
The last person I can remember apart from Capt Tait and Ron Flockart was Simon Featherstonehaugh (pronounced Fanshawe).
My last paid work was as supervisor stevedore based in Hobart.
I'll dig out my old photos to see if I can recall any others. John Munroe

jg grant
30th May 2013, 04:11
Anyone Remember Ronnie Sommerford (Roy) from TS Dolphin around 1960/61. I sailed with him on the Salmela. He was killed here in NZ a long time ago and I am trying to find out anything I can about him to help his daughter now 43 years old who was a baby when he died and didn't know he was MN. I think he jumped here but what ship I don't know.

ben27
30th May 2013, 05:57
good afternoon thunder,18.april.2005.15:44.re:t.s.dolphin.i was never at ts dolphin,but I have been reading this old thread,it carries a lot of history for many members,to all those past young men.i say greetings.i hope the MN was to your liking.have a good day,regards ben27