J & C Harrison Information requested

john1950
27th November 2007, 20:29
Hi all
Using internet sources I am in the process of creating a fleet list for J & C Harrison Ltd for my own personal use. My first trips were on the Hapalycus and the Harpalyce in the early 70s and I have fond memories of this time.

I would be grateful if anyone can supply information on the demise of J & C Harrison I suspect during the 1980s.

Attached for those interested is a txt file extracted from my original document. as stated the data is from the internet so I cannot guarantee accuracy, also my typing skills could eb better.

Many thanks in anticipation

John

John

robandbarbara
27th November 2007, 20:47
Try Google. Go for:- J & C Harrison. You will find a lot of information on their site

Rob.

john1950
27th November 2007, 21:13
Rob
Many thanks for your speedy input. I have tried googling "J & C Harrison" and all its permutations, but have not come up with anything regarding the company's history. Plenty of ship data and some photos but sadly no history.

Regards
john

maritiem
27th November 2007, 21:17
Hallo John;
In this book you will find a history and a simple fleetlist
Travel of the Tramps, twenty Tramp fleets Vol. I, N.L. Middlemiss, Shield Publication, 1989/1991.
Regards
Henk

Baltic Wal
27th November 2007, 21:21
PM me and I will give you all the information regaring the war losses. Unfortunately I have to do family visits to the UK for the next coiple of weeks so there may be a delay, unless its on my laptop.

David Davies
27th November 2007, 22:18
John , The last two ships Harfleet and Harfleur were sold to the Greeks in1979 The Gowland Steam Ship was still in existance in1984 but did not own any ships. I don't know what the tie up with J&C's was but I remember the name appearing in the paper work when sailing as 3rd mate in Hartington in the 50s.

jimjim
16th January 2008, 13:55
John

I served my time as a cadet with this company from 1954 until 1957 then as Third and Second mate until 1960. I was on Harborough maiden voyage in 1956 and subsequently Harpalycus and Harpalyce etc.
All of J. & C. Harrison's records are, I think, archived at the University of Liverpool.

By far the best definitive book for information on the ships with photographs is "BRITISH TRAMPS and their Peacetime Contribution to World Shipping History by I.G. Stewart." This book features all British Tramp Ships of that era.

It is published by
Ian Stewart Marine publications,
P.O.Box 5154
Rockingham Beach
Western Australia 6168

Fax & Tel No. 61 8 9593 1331

The Author was alive in 1998 but may now be deceased. I am sure the main maritime libraries throughout the world would have a copy of this book.

There is a lot of info available if you know where to look.
Cheers jimjim

Dave Edge
17th January 2008, 05:57
The last ship built for Harrisons was the Harfleur in 1973 but the last ship they bought was the Harcourt of 443 gross tons. She was built in 1961 in Germany as the Spree, renamed Timber Queen in 1974, Harcourt in 1975 and Barcourt in 1979. She went through many more names, including Christ Capable, before being scuttles in 2003, the last ship in existence that J & C Harrison had owned. I have no idea why they bought this little ship, the second smallest they ever owned, and she is usually missed in fleet lists but was certainly one of theirs.
I have a photo of Arhon, ex Harfleur, which I will post.

harcalo
24th February 2008, 16:22
Hi all
Using internet sources I am in the process of creating a fleet list for J & C Harrison Ltd for my own personal use. My first trips were on the Hapalycus and the Harpalyce in the early 70s and I have fond memories of this time.

I would be grateful if anyone can supply information on the demise of J & C Harrison I suspect during the 1980s.

Attached for those interested is a txt file extracted from my original document. as stated the data is from the internet so I cannot guarantee accuracy, also my typing skills could eb better.

Many thanks in anticipation

John

John

Hi John,

yes I can give all the information you require. Bear with me as it will take 24 hrs to find the files but I have a list of all the ships. How I am the eldest son of the last Managing Director Mr Derek T Harrison-Sleap.

you are very welcome to email me

Cheers Peter

R58484956
25th February 2008, 11:57
Greetings Peter and a warm welcome to SN. Your contributions to the site will be greatly appreciated. Bon voyage

Larry Crowley
2nd March 2008, 22:15
A little snippet that could be of interest.
The Harpagus hit a mine at Normandy, a new fore part was added and later became the Treworlas which I sailed on. There was a picture on the bridge of her under tow with the forepart missing.
Late '59 the Treworlas ran aground (Swansea?) and was broken up.

john1950
5th March 2008, 18:45
Larry, the link below may be of interest to you. Three interesting photos of mined Harpagus in southhampton.

http://search.plimsoll.org/cgi-bin/dialogserver.exe?THRESHOLD=99&QUERY00=harpagus&db=plimsoll&PROP00=t%3Dp%2Cs%3Dall

john1950
5th March 2008, 19:21
Peter, Many thanks for your kind offer. I will pm you what I have found. Two quick questions that may be of intrest to others when did J&C Harrison start and when did it cease?

Many thanks

Larry Crowley
22nd March 2008, 03:51
Thank you John, interesting to see the picture again

harcalo
1st May 2008, 13:27
Hi,
One and all. I have a large number of pictures and information on J & C and will be only to glad to send a CD of what I have to date, all you have to do is PM me with your contact details. I would send pictures etc by email except that some are quite large files, up to 2Mb. I would give you an address except that my wife and I are touring the UK and Europe in a motor home so best you contact us by emails.

Cheers to one and all Peter

thistlebond
4th June 2008, 03:45
Hi John & any J.C.H.sailers. I sailed on the M..V.Harpagus from may 68 until August 69 ,and experienced a tramp ,M.V., after similar sea time on 4 B.P .S.S.Tankers. If i can help with any anecdotes or info.please ask. Good luck with the touring ,Peter.

Mike Buik
3rd July 2008, 12:46
All gone now, Good days bad days mostly good or we would not have
signed on again.
M Buik a/b R645401

highlander403
5th July 2008, 19:49
do any of you guys have or know where to get a photo of j &c harrisons ship harpalycus, one of my friends was on her and i would like to surprise him with a photo if possible..

thanks in advance regards scotty

highlander403
7th July 2008, 09:07
managed to get a pic from the british merchant navy site..

regards scotty

jimjim
16th August 2008, 16:25
Hi,
One and all. I have a large number of pictures and information on J & C and will be only to glad to send a CD of what I have to date, all you have to do is PM me with your contact details. I would send pictures etc by email except that some are quite large files, up to 2Mb. I would give you an address except that my wife and I are touring the UK and Europe in a motor home so best you contact us by emails.

Cheers to one and all Peter

Hi Peter
Would it be possible to get a copy of the CD for personal memories of time served with the company.
Cheers JimJim

john1950
29th September 2008, 16:54
Many thanks to Henk (Maritiem) et al,
Just back from my local library (Kilmarnock)who through the inter-library lending service (cost 1.80) managed to get me a copy of "Travel of the Tramps, twenty Tramp fleets Vol. I, N.L. Middlemiss, Shield Publication, 1989/1991" recomended by Martiem, the book I believe came from a local london library, could not take the book out on loan, so had to read the chapter on J&C on site. The book also had a chapter on Lyle Shipping another of the companies I sailed with. It was sad to read how quick the end came for both companies after nearly 100 years of trading. It does begs the question why did the UK lose its merchant fleet in the late 70s/80s, surely it was not just low freight rates?

Thank you all (Thumb)
John

BillH
29th September 2008, 17:58
Peter, Many thanks for your kind offer. I will pm you what I have found. Two quick questions that may be of intrest to others when did J&C Harrison start and when did it cease?

Many thanks
As far as companies House website is concerned

J & C Harrison Ltd
Coy. Reg No. 00165955 was dissolved on 3rd October 1992.

If you are really interested then it is possible to order the microfiched records held for the company at Companies House at Cardiff for the astronomical price of 9 inclusive of P&P which make for a pleasant surprise

Does not matter how many films and each hold about 50 documents. I got one company recently with 36 films.

These hold details of Article of association, Directors, shareholdings, major events, finances and vessel mortgages etc, all legally required to be submitted to Companies House.

Usually dispatched within 48hours.

The only drawback is having somewhere local with a microfiche reader to view them.

Quite often reference or local study libraries have them.

Google for Companies house.gov.uk and hit their webcheck for details of contact numbers and address etc.

Bill

bill pugh
9th October 2008, 01:38
Spent time on Harpalyce during her last trip in 1971, regards

Polly
23rd December 2008, 01:07
Hello, everyone. I am interested in family history and have just found your forum. My uncle, John Wharton, was with Harrison's from 1927 to 1967. He was captain of the Harpathian which was sunk in 1941 off the Canaries, and also the 'Empire Byron', which was also sunk in 1942 off Spitzbergen, after being torpedoed, but he got all but two of the crew off and they spent eleven days in a lifeboat. I believe there is a book containing this episode - does anyone know what it is? He was awarded the MBE and the DSC. I have a tinted picture of the 'Harmonic', which he served on as first mate 1936-38 and a postcard of the 'Harpagus' in the 1960s. I also have a collection of postcards he sent to me as a child, of each of the ports he visited. An uncle compiled his service record, but if anyone can give me any more information I would be grateful. If what I have is of any interest, I am happy to share it.

Danae
23rd December 2008, 03:01
I have a list of their ships as of 1962:

Name; Date; Gross Tons; Length ft; Breadth ft; Speed; Engines

Harmattan; 1959; 9,236; 448; 63; 13.5; Diesel
Harpagus; 1958; 6,803; 486; 62; 13.5; Diesel
Harpalion; 1947; 5,441; 462; 59; 12; Diesel
Harpalyce; 1958; 6,803; 486; 62; 13.5; Diesel
Harpalycus; 1959; 6,680; 486; 62; 13.5; Diesel
Hartington; 1945; 7,325; 443; 57; 11; Diesel
Hartismere; 1947; 5,719; 457; 60; 12; Diesel

Incidentally, there is a church in Grove Lane, off Harrison Drive, Wallasey, that has a connection with the Harrison Line. It used to be known as the 'Sailors' Church' and I think the Harrison Line was a benefactor of its construction.

Brian

Coopermalcolm
10th January 2009, 20:16
I am in the process of writing a history of J & C Harrison, which I should complete later this year with a view to publication in 2010 (publisher all lined up). I would be delighted to hear from previous respondents, particularly those who served on the company's ships.

Malcolm

djooh
5th February 2009, 10:54
My first trip to sea was on the final voyage of the Harpalyce, what a initiation!

john1950
6th March 2009, 17:58
Attached for those interested is my latest fleet list for J & C Harrison 1888 -1992. Many thanks to all who have replied to my original request for information, please keep it coming.

mfraser
5th December 2011, 23:58
I realize that this thread is a couple years old now, but I've just come across it. My father served as a cadet on at least three Harrison ships from 1938 until 1942, first of which was the Hartlepool. He was on the Hartlepool when she was torpedoed in the English Channel in 1940. He also has told a story of catching typhoid while in Archangel with a Harrisons ship, but it isn't clear to me which ship he was on then or when exactly that happened. I believe the other two ships he was on were the Harbury and the Harperley.

In 1942 he obtained his 2nd Mate's license and returned to New Zealand, where he was from, and went on to eventually become a captain with the Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand.

Does anyone know if it's possible to find crew rosters today of these ships, and/or cruise histories? I would love to be able to confirm exactly when he was aboard which ships and match those to the stories of those ships during those times. Even better might be finding archives of personnel files and service histories. He certainly loves retelling stories of those days, but today at the age of 90 some of the details are a little fuzzy.

His name, by the way, is Robert Fraser.

Regards,
Matt Fraser

John Rogers
6th December 2011, 00:49
I joined the Hartismere in Avonmouth in August of 1948,did a14 months voyage on her,great ship and crew. She was only 9 months old when I joined her.

John.

cyp greeky
3rd September 2012, 15:23
hi all my name is theodorakis yiacoumi i siald on the harfleur09-08-78till 06-0279 4th engineer wood cannad to japan had some terrible weather but she was a good ship great crew great company my wife joindf me in cannada no expence speard we handed the ship over to the greeks in ulsan korea great memmorys

poppyjazz
20th February 2014, 13:10
Hi John,

yes I can give all the information you require. Bear with me as it will take 24 hrs to find the files but I have a list of all the ships. How I am the eldest son of the last Managing Director Mr Derek T Harrison-Sleap.

you are very welcome to email me

Cheers Peter
hello Peter,
I am a great grand daughter of Frederick Angier Harrison and I'm currently looking into the history of the family shipping company. I would love to hear from you. regards Poppy