Somerset

julian anstis
18th April 2005, 11:24
SOMERSET, built by John Brown & Co Clydebank and launched July 30th 1962. 7600grt. She had 5 holds of 449086 cu ft of reefer space and a service speed of 16.1/2knts. Engaged on the UK to Aus/NZ trade she made her final voyage from Auckland on Aug 8th 1979 for Avonmouth (where she is seen here entering the locks). She was sold to Damirika Shipping Corp of Monrovia and re-named AEGEAN SKY. She left Jeddah on 14th Sept 84 bound for the breakers at Chittagong.

Thanks to FLYER for all additional info.
photo courtesy of P.W.Hobday.

flyer682
18th April 2005, 11:39
Oh, stop it - you're making me blush. (:$)

flyer682
18th April 2005, 11:50
Seeing the corn-coloured hull reminds of a sight I saw on the wharf at Timaru many years ago. In those days the wharves were very accessible to the public and a number of the younger members of the populace used to frequent the Crew Bars aboard the British ships and used to park their cars alongside.
On this particular day, the crew had been painting the ship and decided that one of the cars needed a new paint job as well. It was quite a sight - a Hillman Minx completely covered (and I mean completely!) in P&O corporate hull colours! :eek:

tanker
18th April 2005, 19:53
And Here is SOMERSET when she was built .(old mag.pic collec.) goodddd.
Gp

Bob S
18th April 2005, 21:34
Photographed inward bound passing Tilbury on the River Thames.

Pat McCardle
12th June 2005, 22:15
Seeing the corn-coloured hull reminds of a sight I saw on the wharf at Timaru many years ago. In those days the wharves were very accessible to the public and a number of the younger members of the populace used to frequent the Crew Bars aboard the British ships and used to park their cars alongside.
On this particular day, the crew had been painting the ship and decided that one of the cars needed a new paint job as well. It was quite a sight - a Hillman Minx completely covered (and I mean completely!) in P&O corporate hull colours! :eek:

Would that have been in November 1978? Can't remember if it was a Hillman Minx but it got a coat of paint. I was an EDH on her then, my 1st ship I spent 2 years on her.

Pat McCardle
12th June 2005, 22:17
SOMERSET, built by John Brown & Co Clydebank and launched July 30th 1962. 7600grt. She had 5 holds of 449086 cu ft of reefer space and a service speed of 16.1/2knts. Engaged on the UK to Aus/NZ trade she made her final voyage from Auckland on Aug 8th 1979 for Avonmouth (where she is seen here entering the locks). She was sold to Damirika Shipping Corp of Monrovia and re-named AEGEAN SKY. She left Jeddah on 14th Sept 84 bound for the breakers at Chittagong.

Best ship on the Kiwi coast!! Anyone disagree?

Doug Rogers
13th June 2005, 03:33

Oh those colours!!, why didnt they leave her alone, she was such a good looking vessel in her original colours.

julian anstis
13th June 2005, 10:53
I will get Ron to sort it for you Doug...............now what colour's do you fancy....patterns can be applied, but do take a bit longer.

Doug Rogers
13th June 2005, 11:40
No I am a plain Jane, just give me the original please...altho I served I did not have to agree to the later P&O names and colour scheme................AND I DONT AND WONT!!

flyer682
13th June 2005, 11:44
Would that have been in November 1978? Can't remember if it was a Hillman Minx but it got a coat of paint. I was an EDH on her then, my 1st ship I spent 2 years on her.
When I posted that, I didn't expect to find anyone who would own up to it!! :p

Pat McCardle
13th June 2005, 13:14
When I posted that, I didn't expect to find anyone who would own up to it!! :p

Where/what were you on at the time David? We were laid up in Timaru for 6 weeks then under the loaders for 5 days & off back to Avonmouth, paying off on New Years Eve, you should have seen the faces of the work-by crew joining then!!. I remember the quayside, in Timaru, being packed, even a band played us off & we were outside the harbour for about half a hour giving our whistle a good blow or 2. Timaru, my favourite Kiwi port!! (Thumb) I was known then as 'The Goon' (*))

Pat McCardle
13th June 2005, 13:18
I hope this is to your liking

I just aim to please .
Now Douglas don't be catty
Well they did have concrete ships why not marble ????

Ron

I think the Bo'sun, John Pattison, would not take too kindly to your paint work Ron? (Ouch)

Doug Rogers
14th June 2005, 06:20
I hope this is to your liking

I just aim to please .
Now Douglas don't be catty
Well they did have concrete ships why not marble ????

Ron

Thank God I was canny enough to put my sunglasses on before I looked at that things. Thank you so much Ron for your endeavours, but all I really wanted was to look at a nice picture of her in her original colours.

Doug Rogers
14th June 2005, 10:41
Nay, I'll just look at the original, thanks for the offer though!!

flyer682
15th June 2005, 10:15
Where/what were you on at the time David? We were laid up in Timaru for 6 weeks then under the loaders for 5 days & off back to Avonmouth, paying off on New Years Eve, you should have seen the faces of the work-by crew joining then!!. I remember the quayside, in Timaru, being packed, even a band played us off & we were outside the harbour for about half a hour giving our whistle a good blow or 2. Timaru, my favourite Kiwi port!! (Thumb) I was known then as 'The Goon' (*))
I was living in Timaru at the time, Pat. Looked up my records for the Port of Timaru and see that the SOMERSET was in port from 25 October to 30 November. You were priviledged to get a band playing as you left - what did you guys do to deserve that??? :rolleyes:

Pat McCardle
15th June 2005, 21:51
I was living in Timaru at the time, Pat. Looked up my records for the Port of Timaru and see that the SOMERSET was in port from 25 October to 30 November. You were priviledged to get a band playing as you left - what did you guys do to deserve that??? :rolleyes:

We also headlined the Timaru Herald? We were up painting the funnel one day & the next there we were, front page 'Should the crew of the Somerset be able to vote......They have been here long enough!!' As for the band, well God only knows where they came from, Sally Anne? After our performance shore side in Timaru everyone must still miss us!! Happy days, that, unfortunately, will never return. You must owe me a beer or 2 mate? (Thumb)

flyer682
16th June 2005, 11:32
You must owe me a beer or 2 mate? (Thumb)
Anytime Pat, but distance could be a bit of a problem.........
In the meantime, have this one on me!
(Pint)

Pat McCardle
16th June 2005, 12:44
Cheers David. That went down well. I will return to Timaru in the not too distant future. I have friends who moved on to Temuka plus a lot of other guys I'll have to check up on as they left Somerset & decamped to NZ?

DP Capt.
29th January 2008, 20:44
Engaged on the UK to Aus/NZ trade she made her final voyage from Auckland on Aug 8th 1979 for Avonmouth (where she is seen here entering the locks).

I was there!!! - I finished my third trip (Deck Cadet) on this voyage...

Regards

Ian

Pat McCardle
7th February 2008, 09:47
Was Sandy Stalker the last British Master on Her?

ruud
7th February 2008, 11:14
Ahoy,
Found this postcard of her:

Doxfordman
14th February 2008, 00:14
Was there a mad Irish sparkie on the Somerset around that time, who smuggled a women from Kiwi to the UK in his cabin?? I heard stories of this, might have been the Pi Cart, but think it was Somerset - anyone any info??

scooby do
14th February 2008, 18:20
I was on Somerset when a sparkie smuggled a girl on board, Well to be accurate she was a professional lady if u get my drift. Rose from liverpool If remember correctly. She sailed around to Southampton with us. She went from cabin to cabin making new friends. I came off watch at midnight and took a shower. I could hear some one in the cubicle next to mine, I looked in and there she was starkers. It was love at first fright, She was gorgeous. Helo luv she said, hot in here init. I'll give you a knock later.
Well I thought, You wait until the vicar hears about this. 6 houres later I,m back on watch. After waiting all night she never knocked on my door. The second engineer did and told me to turn to. I was in floods of tears, I thought i was going to make a new friend. I never saw her again. I was heart broken.
Well two days later I had a bit of an accident, I smacked my self in the face with a valve key. and had to visit the MN clinic at the dockyard entance. The doctor on duty asked What ship. Somerset I say, are you an Engineer.
Yes i am. Gawd not another one he says and came towards me with a big needle, Hay hold on i said I'v come to see if my cheek bone is broken, Did you get involved with a girl called Rose he asked, No I said they made me work, Then count yourself lucky half your lot is on antibiotics.
That evening at dinner the third eng. asked how i got on with the Doctor. I did OK I said he seemeed to think I had an infection or something, told me quite a few blokes on the ship have. We ate our dinner in complete silence that evening although i noticed most people were lets say fidgety.
Dox. I don't know if this is the incedent you refer to. I do remember the second eng. telling the sparkie off about it.

Doxfordman
18th February 2008, 01:03
Scooby,

What was the name of the Sparkie?? The story I heard was smuggled from Kiwi to the UK - but you never know with the galley telegraph!

scooby do
18th February 2008, 18:04
Sorry Dox. I don't remember his name . As you read on a lot of threads on this site
''It was a long time ago''

Doxfordman
19th February 2008, 01:53
I seem to recall the name Eugene and as his last name McMahon or something similar??