HeadLine

ulstermarine
28th November 2007, 22:38
Calling all Ulster SS Co members(Thumb)

mclean
29th November 2007, 00:14
Welcome Mike from West Coast Canada. You will enjoy the site. Assume you took your tickets at Blythe Street? A couple of names from Head Line which come to mind...John Auld and Mike swanston. Regards Colin

mcgurggle
29th November 2007, 06:21
Hi'ya Mike
Ex 2nd Cook Roonagh, Chief Cook Torr, Inishowen & the wee Santona (ex Donaldsons). Other Cooks you may remember, Billy Booth or Ned Thompson?
Or remember big Tony Pollen, Cecil McGinty, Willie Purse, "The Duke"(Capt. Eddie Davey) etc etc.
Stick around - it's good here!(Thumb)
McG
BTW. My avatar is the Torr Head.

R58484956
29th November 2007, 15:11
Greetings Mike from the south coast of England. Interesting career yoiu have had. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

ulstermarine
10th June 2008, 22:20
Welcome Mike from West Coast Canada. You will enjoy the site. Assume you took your tickets at Blythe Street? A couple of names from Head Line which come to mind...John Auld and Mike swanston. Regards Colin Remember all of them like it was yesterday. Do you remember the Gardner brothers Billy an apprentice and his brother Campbell 3/E? Lots of others scattered to the four winds.

ulstermarine
10th June 2008, 22:23
Hi'ya Mike
Ex 2nd Cook Roonagh, Chief Cook Torr, Inishowen & the wee Santona (ex Donaldsons). Other Cooks you may remember, Billy Booth or Ned Thompson?
Or remember big Tony Pollen, Cecil McGinty, Willie Purse, "The Duke"(Capt. Eddie Davey) etc etc.
McG
BTW. My avatar is the Torr Head. Tks for the reply as you can see I,m slow at a response. Remember most of the above. What became of the Carrickfergus cook Jim Dempster?

1690doc
26th June 2008, 12:43
Hello

My grandfather, William Baird, served for many years with the Head Line. He did retire in the late 1950's so i dont suppose there is anyone out there who might remember him? Any information would be appreciated.

brian kernaghan
1st September 2008, 11:36
I did my first trip apprentice with willy Baird , on the Ramore Head, December 1959, I recall that it was his last trip before retirement. The mate was Norman Walsh and the Chief engr was "J:C:" Thompson. I can probably recall the names of about half of the 47 ? crew. Brian Kernaghan

duquesa
1st September 2008, 13:40
Brian, your name is ringing a noisy bell. I note you don't wish to receive emails but if you would care to send me one with the name of your school (Belfast?), you may be able to silence that bell.

brian kernaghan
1st September 2008, 14:34
Old school B.R.A., my brothers went there too. Youll find my e-mail on www.oscarsierra.com BK

brian kernaghan
1st September 2008, 14:59
Hi'ya Mike
McG
BTW. My avatar is the Torr Head.

Hello mcgurggle, I sailed with all of the above named. Big Tony from Glassdrummond, Cecil was from Whitehead, I had an occasional drink with him during his retirement, he died from the fags many years ago. Ned was cook on the Rathlin and latterly relieved coastwise on other ships, kept a bottle of McKibbins in the galley. Capt Eddie Davey was also known as scupper-gub, probably because of his habit of rolling his false teeth around his mouth. On one notable occasion he shot the teeth into his soup , Fair Head, Xmas day , 1962, off Algiers on charter to Ellerman & pappiyani ( Im sure thats not spelt correctly.
Do you remember Eddie Blaney, cook on the old Torr, 1960 ?
Keep the info flowing
BK

mcgurggle
1st September 2008, 16:54
Hello mcgurggle, I sailed with all of the above named. Big Tony from Glassdrummond, Cecil was from Whitehead, I had an occasional drink with him during his retirement, he died from the fags many years ago. Ned was cook on the Rathlin and latterly relieved coastwise on other ships, kept a bottle of McKibbins in the galley. Capt Eddie Davey was also known as scupper-gub, probably because of his habit of rolling his false teeth around his mouth. On one notable occasion he shot the teeth into his soup , Fair Head, Xmas day , 1962, off Algiers on charter to Ellerman & pappiyani ( Im sure thats not spelt correctly.
Do you remember Eddie Blaney, cook on the old Torr, 1960 ?
Keep the info flowing
BK

Hi again Brian
I did'nt go to sea till '65 but I heard a lot about Eddie Blaney when I came to Head Line about '66. I knew 'The Duke' from shore side as he used to dine in 'Mooneys Silver Grill' restaurant in Cornmarket where I was a young Commis chef. The place was in chaos every time he came in.
It was after one of his drink/dine sessions that he 'wrote off' his car & very nearly his wife (Ruby?) at Skegonniel bend on York Rd.
Another famous story about him was when he was late for dinner on one of the 'Head' boats. The passengers who were sharing his table were already on main courses when he arrived, so he explained to them that he had went for a sh*t & got a 'turd stuck athwartships'.:sweat: What a character[=P]
McG(Thumb)

tanker
28th September 2008, 10:33
Here the CARRIGAN HEAD in beginning 60s.CHRYSANTHI 72-RYSAN 80 BU Gadani Beach 25-10-80.(Thumb)
Gp

yachtingfreak
25th November 2008, 22:08
Just looking at the site with my da John McGurk who was cook on the torr and others. I remember Ned Thompson myself from going on board in Liverpool as a nipper and being givn a big bowl of pea wack that put hairs on my chest and some drop scones. Still remember the smell of the ships.
Andy

Fastfisher16
25th November 2008, 22:26
Sorry folks for butting in on your post, but my first trip to sea was on the Carrigan Head,in 1965 I think. Sorry to be vague but my memory is not too good. (MAD) I was junior apprentice. Maurice Hobson was 2nd. app. and Roy Fitzpatrick was the senior.

roibaird7
10th February 2009, 02:20
my first Head line job was the Empire Glade managed by the Headline------1944 Bill English was the Chief Steward-- then the second was was the Empire Garrison later to become the Bengore head Bill English again Ch Steward then?McGuigan followed Bill--------then the Lord Glentoran for a few trips Ch Steward Jimmy? Dickie---------anyone know where George Me Allister Ch Cook finished up ? I've been in New Zealand these past 59 years Originally from the York St area

Charlie Stitt
9th April 2009, 14:46
Hi there Mouse, I was down at the Port the other day and your name come up, we were talking about the good times. I never sailed with Head Line but in 1966 when I was Mate on the Forresbank we were moored ahead of the Ramore head in Montreal. The OM was from Dublin, Lynch I think he was called, Doc Savage was Mate and Bill Morrison was 2nd mate, we managed to **** a few bottles in a couple of days. We had already been out 6 months and were heading back to Aussie for another 6 so Bill took some pressies home to my Wife in waiting for me. (Yes I trusted him of course) Well you take it easy out there in all that awful sunshine and I will enjoy this lovely rain.(Thumb)
Cheers, Charlie.

Kraffy
26th September 2009, 08:43
Hi everyone, I remember Bill English on the Bengore Head in 1960. I think the master was Captain Gomez. Great old ship!

para handy clyde
8th March 2012, 20:22
Greetings shipmates,Was on the Carrigan Head two different voyages.Eddie Blaney was the cook,i was his second cook.Same Chief Steward but his name escapes me.Very fond memorys of her.Also sailed on the M.V Torr Head,honest John Mcgurk was the Cook then walter pratt.I sailed with john again at S.S.M
Torr Head had the best football team to grace the lakes and won the Chicago Cup.Fantastic ships crew and Officers and a great run to be on.

para handy clyde
30th October 2012, 22:07
Greetings shipmates,Was on the Carrigan Head two different voyages.Eddie Blaney was the cook,i was his second cook.Same Chief Steward but his name escapes me.Very fond memorys of her.Also sailed on the M.V Torr Head,honest John Mcgurk was the Cook then walter pratt.I sailed with john again at S.S.M
Torr Head had the best football team to grace the lakes and won the Chicago Cup.Fantastic ships crew and Officers and a great run to be on.

The chief stewards name on the carrigan head has come to mind as Harry Mclarnon.The Torr head ch/stwd was cecil.Bosun was willie ronan,then John Richardson

katiekees111
11th November 2012, 04:22
hi im new here and would like to ask if anyone sailed on the roonagh head along with one of my uncles from bangor charles (charlie) whitla around possibly late 50's early 60's. he now lives in newtownabbey and i would like to here from anyone who knows him as he isnt well at the minute and i love to chat to him about his sailing days to jog his memory any info photos etc greatly received thanks very much
cathy mckee

para handy clyde
5th June 2013, 19:56
Just looked in on the site again.Great memories of sailing up the lakes.Can remember Manchester Liners and the Bowater Ships passing us on occasions.
Navy pier at Chicago and calumet City were just some of our destinations.A bit of a tricky journey getting to Calumet.Would love to do one more trip up the St Lawrence as Far as Chicago again as the Welland Canal was one of my favourite routes.also going through the Lake of a thousand islands .

katiekees111
7th June 2013, 00:23
hi para how are you? did you ever sail on headline boats my uncle was on some of these ships and sailed under captain Haddock!!! he was also on a headline boat which collided with another ship carrying iron ore up in Canadian lakes.
yours
cathy

para handy clyde
11th June 2013, 16:43
Hello Katie,I sailed on The Carrigan Head and the Torr Head.The Captains I remember were Norman Walsh and Doc Savage on the Carrigan and Captain Best on the Torr.I cant recall any collision at the time I was with the Company but the Carrigan went aground in the St Lawrence at some time.Iwas not aboard her then and only recall the tale.

Johnnietwocoats
18th July 2013, 22:24
I did my first trip apprentice with willy Baird , on the Ramore Head, December 1959, I recall that it was his last trip before retirement. The mate was Norman Walsh and the Chief engr was "J:C:" Thompson. I can probably recall the names of about half of the 47 ? crew. Brian Kernaghan

Hi Brian. Did you go to Blythe Street with me? Johnny Pye.

Harry Kicubbin
26th November 2013, 12:30
The chief stewards name on the carrigan head has come to mind as Harry Mclarnon.The Torr head ch/stwd was cecil.Bosun was willie ronan,then John Richardson

The Chief Steward on the Torr Head was Cyril Anderson, (now deceased) Cecil was his twin

Harry Kicubbin
26th November 2013, 12:41
hi para how are you? did you ever sail on headline boats my uncle was on some of these ships and sailed under captain Haddock!!! he was also on a headline boat which collided with another ship carrying iron ore up in Canadian lakes.
yours
cathy Hi Cathy, I was surprised to see you on this site. Now I have a wealth of info on both your uncles, Alec and Charlie, as I sailed with them both. Now the ship that was in collision in the St Lawrence river was the Roonagh Head, it collided with a ship called the Tritonica, which sadly sank with the loss of 34 lives, I was not on the Roonagh at that time.

Harry Kicubbin
26th November 2013, 12:49
my first Head line job was the Empire Glade managed by the Headline------1944 Bill English was the Chief Steward-- then the second was was the Empire Garrison later to become the Bengore head Bill English again Ch Steward then?McGuigan followed Bill--------then the Lord Glentoran for a few trips Ch Steward Jimmy? Dickie---------anyone know where George Me Allister Ch Cook finished up ? I've been in New Zealand these past 59 years Originally from the York St area George McAllister has sadly passed on, a wonderful Chie Steward and shipmate. I am pretty up to date with the news on most headline seafarers, so many have passed on, so memories of our friends of that era and company are precious.