"Catch-weight" slab of steel dropped in Vizag.

Philthechill
29th November 2007, 00:05
On my first voyage, on Maskeliya, we were loading "catch-weight" slabs of steel, in Vizag., when one of them, weighing quite a bit over the SWL of 10 tons of the derrick, caused the swivel at the top of the mast to carry away. The lump of steel fell from about coaming-level and finished-up piercing the tank-top. There was an Irish Roman Catholic priest ran a sort of "Boy's camp", for orphans, in Vizag. and he came aboard with his lads and organised a repair whereby they drilled and tapped a large number of holes, screwed set-bolts into the tapped holes, fitted a gasket and bolted a cover-plate over the hole. (Why didn't they just weld a plate over the hole?, you may ask. Because the double-bottom still had oil in it which, in truth could have been pumped-out but can you imagine the nightmare of trying to get it passed as "gas-free and safe for welding", in Vizag?) Does anyone remember this happening? Skipper was "Tubby" Evans, Mate (Possibly) Bill Milne , 2nd. Mate John Fraser, 3rd Mate Kenny Bell (Who left Brock's to join the RAF Marine Section and tragically drowned in, I believe, Singapore) Chief Engineer, "The Duke of Bootle" (Dougie Ruddick), 2/E Jake Donnelly, 3/E Brian ? ex-BI, 4/E Brian Cotterill, J4/E Rod McRae, 5/E self, Chief Electrician Jimmy Robertson. Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

Ron Stringer
29th November 2007, 01:04
On my first voyage, on Maskeliya, we were loading "catch-weight" slabs of steel, in Vizag., when one of them, weighing quite a bit over the SWL of 10 tons of the derrick, caused the swivel at the top of the mast to carry away.Phil(Hippy)

Remember the 11-ton steel ingots well. With Ellermans we loaded them for South Wales of all places. They were lowered down the hold and then dragged sideways to be stowed across the entire width of the hold. We never broke any standing gear but snapped a lot of runners while trying to drag the ingots under the wings of the hold. Decidedly dodgy being down the hold while they were loading this stuff.

Nobody seemed to know why they chose to cast them in such an odd weight.

gwzm
29th November 2007, 19:02
Hi Phil,

I'm not sure now if it was on the Mahronda (1964 or thereabouts)) after all these years but..... we were working cargo and the dockers were taking a break so the cargo hooks were "parked" in the ring bolts on the bulwarks. Some idiot switched on a winch which promptly pulled the wire up taught and then the swivel pulled off the samson post by number 4 (?) hatch portside. The derrick hit the bulwark and stopped promptly. However........ the momentum carried on the 50% or so of its length which was overhanging the bulwark and it ended up with a 90 degree bend in the middle. We returned to the UK with the damaged derrick tied down on the after deck. Fortunately nobody was injured but we never did find out who had switched on the winch.

Salaams,

gwzm/John

S Fraser
30th November 2007, 15:04
Phil,
I remember an incident like this but didn't associate it with the Maskeliya. I was however the junior apprentice on her from autumn 61 through to summer of 62. As apprentices we didn't get precise dates in our discharge books, so I can't be more accurate than this. If this was the trip when we opened up the Port of Assab then I was there. Ian Roberts who has just joined SN from the States was the senior apprentice and he seems to have remarkable re-call of that trip, so he might be able to shed some light.
Whatever was done to patch the hole, George Cubbins the Chippie, would have put a cement box around it for added protection.
The C/O was called Mackenzie-Coles, and he was a very up-market and sometimes quite eccentic gent ex P&O. He used to wear a Pakistani Astrakhan fur hat around on deck when things got chilly. I knew about Ken Bell who I thought was lost in the North Sea when in service with the RAF Marine unit. I sailed with him several times before he and I left Brocks. I have never seen John Fraser referenced on this sight before and often wondered where he ended up. He had a brother who also sailed with Brocks as an apprentice.
See the thread about the age of Brocks officers and you will see some photograghs from that voyage that Ian Roberts posted.
Regards,
Stan

Supergoods
30th November 2007, 15:52
As far as I know this didn't happen on my voyage on the Maskeliya, I believe it may have been on the Masirah or the Mahseer, or possibly on an earlier voyage of the Maskeliya.

I remember hearing the derrick fell between the 2/O & 3/O and the root cause was quality control in the steel slab weights.

This was the first export load of steel slab from India, or at least from the mill that served Vizag.

Ian

Philthechill
30th November 2007, 23:38
Phil,
I remember an incident like this but didn't associate it with the Maskeliya. I was however the junior apprentice on her from autumn 61 through to summer of 62. As apprentices we didn't get precise dates in our discharge books, so I can't be more accurate than this. If this was the trip when we opened up the Port of Assab then I was there. Ian Roberts who has just joined SN from the States was the senior apprentice and he seems to have remarkable re-call of that trip, so he might be able to shed some light.
Whatever was done to patch the hole, George Cubbins the Chippie, would have put a cement box around it for added protection.
The C/O was called Mackenzie-Coles, and he was a very up-market and sometimes quite eccentic gent ex P&O. He used to wear a Pakistani Astrakhan fur hat around on deck when things got chilly. I knew about Ken Bell who I thought was lost in the North Sea when in service with the RAF Marine unit. I sailed with him several times before he and I left Brocks. I have never seen John Fraser referenced on this sight before and often wondered where he ended up. He had a brother who also sailed with Brocks as an apprentice.
See the thread about the age of Brocks officers and you will see some photograghs from that voyage that Ian Roberts posted.
Regards,
Stan Stan! I joined "Maskeliya" 17.4.61 on coasting duties, signed-off 8/6/61 and signed-on for deep-sea 9/6/61, signing-off 28/10/61. It was during this voyage that the ingot-dropping incident occurred. George Cubbins was Chippie when I was there and you're right the C/O was (Bill?) Mackenzie-Coles not, as I ventured, Bill Milne (it was your mention of the Astrakhan fur hat that clinched it for me!!!). On reflection I believe that Kenny Bell WAS lost in the North Sea and not Singapore as I postulated. I have a slide of John Fraser I will post on Members Faces.
I was laid on my day-bed reading when the derrick carried-away and the whole ship seemed to vibrate when the lump of steel (10tons+ so it's not too surprising that the ship vibrated when it fell around 30'!!!!!) hit the tank-top!!! Salaams! Phil(Hippy)

Trevor
1st December 2007, 01:27
I'm looking at my Discharge Book, and I was deepsea from 6 Jan 1961 to 14 April 1961, as Sen 4th E/O on Maskeliya. We did put into Vizag but took on ore in the lower holds, to accomodate the tea, on that trip. The ingot accident must have been on the next trip.
Trevor

Philthechill
1st December 2007, 09:09
I'm looking at my Discharge Book, and I was deepsea from 6 Jan 1961 to 14 April 1961, as Sen 4th E/O on Maskeliya. We did put into Vizag but took on ore in the lower holds, to accomodate the tea, on that trip. The ingot accident must have been on the next trip.
Trevor Trevor! Hi! The incident happened, as you so correctly surmise, on the following trip. I relieved a bloke called "Bob". I think he was an "eleven-tripper" ("one out,one home") and then he left the sea. I believe he came from Middlesborough. I put a thread on here, ("My first ship" August 14th. 2007) , about my first trip and how "Bob" gave me a high-speed visit to the engine-room etc. all the time keeping-up a running commentary about what my duties entailed as I was "day-aboard". He left a very confused, and bewildered, brand-new panch-sahib in his wake as he whizzed round at warp-speed until he finally left the ship, about half-an-hour after I joined it!!! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

Trevor
2nd December 2007, 01:55
Trevor! Hi! The incident happened, as you so correctly surmise, on the following trip. I relieved a bloke called "Bob". I think he was an "eleven-tripper" ("one out,one home") and then he left the sea. I believe he came from Middlesborough. I put a thread on here, ("My first ship" August 14th. 2007) , about my first trip and how "Bob" gave me a high-speed visit to the engine-room etc. all the time keeping-up a running commentary about what my duties entailed as I was "day-aboard". He left a very confused, and bewildered, brand-new panch-sahib in his wake as he whizzed round at warp-speed until he finally left the ship, about half-an-hour after I joined it!!! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)
Hi Phil,
About Bob I think I have a picture of him, or at least another eleven tripper. It's a tif scanned file so I have to change it to post as jpeg. I signed onto the Maskeliya 5th Dec 1959 in Calcutta and stayed with her until 14th April 1961, I loved that ship; Fgn and HT. Another ship I stuck with was Mahronda had a few trips on her she was fast, for her age.
Salaams, Trevor

J Boyde
2nd December 2007, 08:41
Karetu, about 50 tons of ingots leaded from Hobart for NZ Via Sydney. The ingots were the only cargo on board on the forward end of the last hatch. Weqather, a little rough. I was on watch in the engine room and there was a nice roll. Down the engine tunnel and I could hear cargo moving above me. At the end of each roll I could hear the ingots hitting the hull, quite a noise. Onto the phone and very quickly we changed direction until the rolling was stopped. The secured the cargo again before we changed course back to Sydney. Such is life.
Jim B

Philthechill
2nd December 2007, 10:10
Hi Phil,
About Bob I think I have a picture of him, or at least another eleven tripper. It's a tif scanned file so I have to change it to post as jpeg. I signed onto the Maskeliya 5th Dec 1959 in Calcutta and stayed with her until 14th April 1961, I loved that ship; Fgn and HT. Another ship I stuck with was Mahronda had a few trips on her she was fast, for her age.
Salaams, Trevor Trevor! Hi! I quite agree with you re. "Maskeliya" being an excellent ship. I would have stayed on her but Mr. Fraser had other ideas!! He asked me to ring him ("Liverpool Central 6633 and transfer the charge please!" I used to feel SO important saying that to the Operator), and after he'd given me a load of flannel about how pleased Brock's were with my progress from precision-turner, in a scientific and optical instrument makers (Cooke, Troughton & Simms of York), to hairy-arsed Jolly Jack he said he felt I was ready for promotion and said he wanted me to join "Matheran" as J/4E with a heady pay rise of 6 per month going from 49 10s to 55 10s!! Little did I know that the promotion was a poisoned chalice and war-time built "Matheran" was hardly on a par with "Maskeliya" with her luxurious (comparitively!) accommodation and a/c!!!
My "cabin" on "Matheran" was about the same size as my wardrobe had been on "Maskeliya" and a/c was a scoop stuck out of the porthole!!!!
Would I like to be back on "Matheran" now after time has dimmed the memories of all the hard-times I had on her? NO F*****G WAY!!! She will always remain in my memory as bad, bad, bad! Look forward to seeing the photo of "possible Bob". Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

Trevor
3rd December 2007, 01:49
Hi again Phil,
Had a similar experience my first deep sea trip on Macharda, with C/E John Baine (say no more). I joined Maskeliya in Calcutta, because I was badly burned on Macharda, had me working on a live steam line to the steering gear, that should have been locked off. Did several weeks in Woodlands Nursing Home, in Cal. Made lots of good influential friends in the hospital, so Calcutta was a home from home for me after that. I have the picture ready to go, but I can't see where I attach it, I'll browse the site.
Salaams Trevor

tell
4th December 2007, 02:18
I remember whilst on the Llanberis in 1947 we bent a derrick lifting a jammed beam out, We went to Tripoli to discharge cargo and pinched a derrick off one of the wrecks that were sunk in the harbour

Philthechill
6th December 2007, 08:12
Phil,
Regards,
Stan Stan! Salaams! I've posted a picture of John Fraser and another one of two of the Q.M.'s with Jake Donnelly, on the Life On Board slot in t'Gallery. Phil(Hippy)