RMS Queen Mary, very daft hypothetical question

LizzieNo1
28th November 2007, 23:08
Hi guys,
My question has been running around in my bonce for a long time, but here it goes!
I know that the Queen has been pretty well gutted of her machinery, but what was done with her main machinery? Was it all scrapped? or stored?
Next question is "here's the stupid one", what would be the extent of making such an old stripped vessel, seaworthy? If money was available!!
My sister visited the Queen in the late 80's, she reckoned back then she looked a very sorry sight.
I know that it would never happen in today's economical climate, but I have always been hugely curious about this topic.
Please just humour this daft fool !!

Many thanks for hypothetical answers.
LizzieNo1

R58484956
29th November 2007, 15:26
Looking behind some of the closed doors down below she was in a very sad state, rust everywhere. It would be a mammoth operation to make her "go again" The QE (1) was a sorry site down below when Cunard off loaded her. The boiler stools were waiver thin, how they kept the weight of boilers up, was a mystery to us. At least she was not as bad as the QM down below.

LizzieNo1
29th November 2007, 19:28
Hi R58484956,
I guess that why I think of such thoughts is that, many years ago an american I was in conversation with stated that "we do the things we do, because we can". I thought, yep! he was right, were there is a will there's a way.
I did read that their war service took too many years off their post war operational life, every time I read anything about the Queen Mary, the word bankrupt is not far behind.
Is she even capable of being towed for scrapping? Hopefully someone will come to her aid!!

Jeff Taylor
29th November 2007, 21:58
Click on this link http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/. You'll find a world of historical info on QM. As far as making her "go again", there are some documents on ssmaritime.com about NCL's estimates for re-engining the Norway prior to the explosion which might be a place to start. The real issue, however, would be the cost of making her comply with SOLAS 2010, which would not only be horrifically costly, it would also destroy anything left of her original beauty. Finally, even if it could be mechanically rebuilt, anyone who's seen those cabins (I stayed in one of the former 1st Class cabins last year) will tell you that her standard of accommodation just wouldn't cut it in today's world. Basically, all you'd have to start with is an empty hull, which I hear isn't in too bad shape.

LizzieNo1
30th November 2007, 09:33
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the information, I agree totally about the nightmare of any such venture. A few people I have talked to, came to the conclusion that she should have gone the same as the Queen Elizabeth, instead of the lingering death she seems to be in.
Cheers matey !!

Jeff Taylor
30th November 2007, 19:58
BTW, Lizzie 1, I sailed in the QE on a westbound crossing in '68--first class was about 90% Cunard officials on junkets. Kinda sad, but a marvelous experience. I had a letter of introduction from a friend of Cdr. Marr's, and he gave me the full tour from bridge to engine room--wonderful experience.

LizzieNo1
30th November 2007, 22:55
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for sharing the memory of what I would describe as, absolutely marvellous!!
I must admit to only seeing her as a very very young nipper, funny enough I've just had two full colour 12x8 photo's of QE & QM set in frames for my fathers xmas present.

PhilColebrook
10th December 2007, 17:52
I stayed on her a few weeks ago and went down to what is left of one of the engine rooms. It was still fascinating, although covered in hideous Halloween tat. A spooky place, TBH. Different stories on why she was gutted down below. One story is that it was to build a museum, another is that Cunard demanded that the boilers be taken out.

For someone who had never seen an old liner she was stunning, and they seem to be looking after her OK, despite the troubles. The staff are fiercely loyal and I had a blast checking her out.

Looking forward to the Rotterdam arriving in May. She will be pristine by all accounts and I've booked a suite.

Jeff Taylor
3rd January 2008, 17:29
As far as I know, Cunard didn't dictate that her propulsion be demolished--that was to accommodate a Jacques Cousteau museum/exhibit which failed shortly after it opened, as well as some other convention type uses which never materialized.

PhilColebrook
4th January 2008, 15:26
As far as I know, Cunard didn't dictate that her propulsion be demolished--that was to accommodate a Jacques Cousteau museum/exhibit which failed shortly after it opened, as well as some other convention type uses which never materialized.

That was what I originally understood to be the case however the old fella showing us around was adament that it was a condition of sale, and he'd been with the ship for a long time. Maybe a bit like the conditions on the Canberra when she was cut up (I believe title only passed to the yard when the screws were cut,or something similar.)

Orbitaman
4th January 2008, 15:34
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the information, I agree totally about the nightmare of any such venture. A few people I have talked to, came to the conclusion that she should have gone the same as the Queen Elizabeth, instead of the lingering death she seems to be in.
Cheers matey !!

You mean catching fire in suspicious circumstances and then lying turned turtle for a couple of years before being cut up in situ?

QM's lingering death has meant that she has lasted a good 30 years longer than the QE!

xmtryanx
17th January 2008, 07:36
Cunard only specified that on retirement of the Mary that she couldn't ever be used in competition with any other Cunard ships.

tedc
17th January 2008, 15:44
Hi guys,
My question has been running around in my bonce for a long time, but here it goes!
I know that the Queen has been pretty well gutted of her machinery, but what was done with her main machinery? Was it all scrapped? or stored?

Many thanks for hypothetical answers.
LizzieNo1

Actually, all of it is in my shed waiting to go on EBay - which bits would you like?

LizzieNo1
18th January 2008, 20:01
Hi ted,
Er.. actually, all of it please, very nice!!

Coastie
20th January 2008, 01:51
Actually, all of it is in my shed waiting to go on EBay - which bits would you like?

You're joking, right???(EEK)

spongebob
20th January 2008, 02:20
Why not donate the machinery, boilers, turbines and all to the Cutty Sark preservation Trust, we will get that fine old Icon of the British merchant fleet back in the water some how!

viking
27th January 2008, 18:54
lottery just gave cutty sark trust 20 mill towards restoration (Thumb)

Coastie
28th January 2008, 01:22
Why not donate the machinery, boilers, turbines and all to the Cutty Sark preservation Trust, we will get that fine old Icon of the British merchant fleet back in the water some how!

Or to the Manxman.