books about merchant ships

marcus
29th November 2007, 14:42
In this period I'm looking for infos about several merchant ships that operated during WWII. Many of them had a short life, been sunk by torpedoes (or bombs etc) quite soon afther their launch.
In some cases the problem is where to find a photo of these unlucky ships...
Do you have any suggestion about books that have lot of ships catalogued in?
I've found that a good starting point is the book "Talbot Booth's Merchant Ships"..and i'd like to buy one (1942 or 1942 edition)... Is it a good Idea?
Other suggestions??
Usually I search for italian vessels (Of course!... I'm from Rome!!).
Thanks

Marcus

K urgess
29th November 2007, 15:15
Talbot Booth is very good but is limited to what vessels are there when it is issued. In other words you may not find the vessel you are looking for unless you have every book. I have the 1942 edition and can usually find about one in ten vessels. It only has vessels up to 1941 and any sunk in 1939 or 1940 are no longer listed.
If you know the name of the vessel Miramar is an excellent resource here (http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/).
It can provide a starting point for pictures by the way it gives all the known names in its history.
Sites such as photoships have a lot of pictures but again you have to know the name.
Any sort of search for a ship name on the internet will bring some results.
You have to have a lot of books to do it right. [=P]

marcus
29th November 2007, 15:31
that's true! a lot of books!
Miramar is a great site... I use it regularly!
Thanks for your suggestions...

Marcus

Talbot Booth is very good but is limited to what vessels are there when it is issued. In other words you may not find the vessel you are looking for unless you have every book. I have the 1942 edition and can usually find about one in ten vessels. It only has vessels up to 1941 and any sunk in 1939 or 1940 are no longer listed.
If you know the name of the vessel Miramar is an excellent resource here (http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/).
It can provide a starting point for pictures by the way it gives all the known names in its history.
Sites such as photoships have a lot of pictures but again you have to know the name.
Any sort of search for a ship name on the internet will bring some results.
You have to have a lot of books to do it right. [=P]

andysk
30th November 2007, 16:40
A further volume to look for is Roger Jordan's massive merchant fleets of 1939, recently the second edition has been published.

Also, there is a publication originally by the British Admiralty about ships sunk during WW2 - but it's only UK flag as far as I remember.

I'll see if I can find my copies of these and post their details after the weekend.

Cheers

Andy

marcus
30th November 2007, 17:37
thank you, Andy!