Konini

flyer682
19th April 2005, 11:41
Built 1957 by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith.
2,007grt. 267' 7" x 42' 0" x 15' 11".
KONINI and her sister ship KAIMAI had short lives with the Union Company, as they were dispalced by roll/on-roll/off ships.
Sold in 1971 to Guan Guan Shipping of Singapore and renamed KING TOWER.
After 14 years service with this Company, she was broken up in Singapore in 1985.
Photo shows her at Timaru in the 1960s.

budwana2001
9th November 2005, 02:49
Built 1957 by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith.
2,007grt. 267' 7" x 42' 0" x 15' 11".
KONINI and her sister ship KAIMAI had short lives with the Union Company, as they were dispalced by roll/on-roll/off ships.
Sold in 1971 to Guan Guan Shipping of Singapore and renamed KING TOWER.
After 14 years service with this Company, she was broken up in Singapore in 1985.
Photo shows her at Timaru in the 1960s.

Gary you have mentioned a Noddy Osbourne was this George Osbourne from Llyttleton if it was. My parents billeted him through the wharfies strike around 1954 I think, He was then a Bucko, George was a friend of the family for many years after this.
Around 1964 was the last time that we seen Gearge He was then the Bosun on the "Waitemata". I was nominated by George and sailed on the "Kawora" "John Wilson" "Kowhai" "Waitmate" My cream ship if there was a cream ship would have to have been the "John Wilson " Home port Auckland 1 trip a week to Portland. Always home for weekend What more does a guy want. As I was too old to go to sea as a deck boy. at 18 I had to be the youngest Peggy on the Coast.

As with a lot of us Got Married, Sea was not our agenda. So took a job ashore Great to hear the storys you guys. I used to always follow the shipping movements with grat interest. It was a sad day that I found the Union Company was no longer. Through the net it has been great to relive some of the past. Thanks for chance regards Campbell "Butch" Morris

J Boyde
22nd December 2005, 09:16
The Konini was my last ship, port, Portland. A great way to finish some eight years at sea. She was a nice vessel to sail on, even though they filled with coal from time to time. First ship in the USSC, also a coal job. The Kokiri was very different, no gear except the winches to open the hatches. She blew up in Wellington harbour.
Jim Boyde

Sharkie Price
23rd October 2013, 18:41
The Konini was my last ship, port, Portland. A great way to finish some eight years at sea. She was a nice vessel to sail on, even though they filled with coal from time to time. First ship in the USSC, also a coal job. The Kokiri was very different, no gear except the winches to open the hatches. She blew up in Wellington harbour.
Jim Boyde
Gidday I was in the Konini in 1960,run job, joey briggs was the bosun,he was from lyttleton one of the Briggs family that went to sea. the ship was then known as the " Jonini " I was about when the kokiri blew up, a mate of mine A.B. Pat Scanlon was killed along with the O/S as they were both in the well deck on the spring, where the explosion took place. Cheers Sharkie Price ex naenaeboy.

dally
14th November 2013, 04:57
funny sharkie the konini was my last ship as wel paid off september 64 great job but got married and that was that

Sharkie Price
17th November 2013, 18:03
Gidday Dally. I was talking to Ross Mitchel, last nite via Skype I told him about you and he asks like I do what is your name, could you email me or via ships nostalgia.

Email address removed from public forum in line with site policy. This is to prevent you receiving unsolicited messages. Please contact via the SN Private Message facility and exchange email addresses if you wish. (Thumb)