Liverpool Dock - 1943

Geoff Plunkett
4th December 2007, 21:05
Yet more questions re: Idomeneus departing for Australia 9 November 1943. I am hoping you can take me back to the Liverpool Docks in 1943 and recreate the atmosphere.

1. In general what were the docks like? obviously busy as it was the wartime main departure dock for ships. Chaotic/organised?
2. Did the blue funnel ships (and Idomeneus in particular) all leave from the same berth?
3. Walter Dark stated that the Blue Funnel wartime ships were requisitioned (during the war) and he thought loaded with the Federal Line at the Federal Line berth? Any thoughts here.
3. He thought Beazleys (stevedores?) loaded the ship. Does anyone recognize the name?
4. Unusually the lower bottom No. 1 hold had a cover over the hatch. It was described by the watchman as a save all (canvas, non waterproof) which was different from the waterproof tarpaulins that went over the top hatches. Can someone help me here?
5. Dark stated that before every departure a Blue Funnel Captain was called into the Holt Company Offices and handed their instructions? Can someone describe what the Holt offices were like? He also said during the wartime War Ministry instructions were handed to the Captain through the offices.

Again many thanks.

Hugh Ferguson
5th December 2007, 19:56
About mid 1943 I made my first visit to Liverpool and at the same time had some correspondence with Holts in my attempts to join the company as an apprentice. I still have those letters with their temporary addresses during the aftermath of their being bombed out of India Buildings. In the letter's headings, 52 Ullet Road has been altered to 54 Ullet Road, Liverpool,17.
I believe 54 was Lawrence Holt's residence as, possibly, was 52. I can recall going there on one occasion.
I also, vividly, remember being taken by my aunt on the overhead railway and that was an experience, to be looking down on the ruined warehouses and the many ships. I'm fairly sure we went the whole distance.
The time I returned from my first wartime voyage we did not go into the Gladstone Dock. I believe it may have been the Huskison Dock, but I cannot be sure.
The bomb damage everywhere was appalling and the human suffering entailed, simply beyond belief.
Captain Dark's nick-name was Daylight Dark. Maybe he preferred entering port in daylight, but then, does not everyone!?

Bill Davies
5th December 2007, 20:55
Hugh,
On a previous post I mentioned that I had heard of Capt Dark by name as he was a little before my time but their was something niggling me since writing the post and that was his nickname which you have just mentioned. Thanks for that.

Sparky Sharkey
6th December 2007, 00:22
Hi. This my first trip on this URL. I have a not great photo of the class of 1948 students and staff of Liverpool Wireless College, on Prince's Road. Anybody of you out there remember me? I can send you a copy. Sparky Sharkey.

Geoff Plunkett
6th December 2007, 05:06
Hugh,
On a previous post I mentioned that I had heard of Capt Dark by name as he was a little before my time but their was something niggling me since writing the post and that was his nickname which you have just mentioned. Thanks for that.

Bill. Are you suggesting his nickname was 'Brigg'?

Bill Davies
6th December 2007, 07:49
Geoff,

I am merely suggesting that Hugh reminded me of the nickname 'Daylight Dark'.

Brgds

Bill

R58484956
6th December 2007, 09:58
Greetings SS to SN enjoy the site and enjoy what you see. Bon voyage.

Tai Pan
7th December 2007, 10:04
that would not be Nick Sharkey would it. if so i remember you, have you an email address, i can fill you in on the Radio Officers Association. regards john