Tantallon Castle

Smoko
20th April 2005, 09:55
Would appreciate if any member or guest has any photos of the Tantallon Castle. I sailed on her in 1967, I did have a couple of post card photos but have long ago lost them.
Many thanks Smoko

stevecz
20th April 2005, 10:07
Try this site, if it's a Union Castle ship.
http://www.red-duster.co.uk/UNION20.htm

oldbosun
20th April 2005, 17:12
I have got a good picture of her (Tantallon Castle) I forget where I got it from so I'm not going to post it in here in case someone claims I stole it, but I'll email it to you if you send me your email address at

Smoko
17th May 2005, 10:40
Try this site, if it's a Union Castle ship.
http://www.red-duster.co.uk/UNION20.htm

Many thanks for the site Stevece.
Have been in Australia for past month so am a little late getting back to you.
Will visit site when I finish this email to you.
Again thanks for the contact.

Smoko
New Zealand

Smoko
17th May 2005, 10:45
I have got a good picture of her (Tantallon Castle) I forget where I got it from so I'm not going to post it in here in case someone claims I stole it, but I'll email it to you if you send me your email address at exseaman@sympatico.ca

Hi Old BoSun will email you very soon.
Thanks

Smoko
Ex Vindi

daveaustin44
13th March 2009, 05:19
anyone on board Tantallon Castle when the cook was Arther Goring (Martha)

Allan01273
12th October 2012, 01:57
I joined the Tantallon Castle in early 1967. We were told that it was a short trip. Perhaps about 5 weeks from the Royal docks to Port Sudan and back. That suited me just nicely.
So we sailed for Port Said and just before we got there we ran into a massive sand strorm blowing off the desert and had to sail away in the opposite direction to two or three days. We eventually docked in Port Said and then sailed through the canal for Port Sudan. Then war and sunken ships closed the Suez canal.
Port Sudan, Mombasa, Tanga, Dar es Salaam, Biera, East London, Port Elizabeth. Cape Town, Walvis Bay.
Then a fire in the engine room so we carried on at 3 knots to Genoa! for repairs.
Naples, Marsellie, (bought bottles of champagne, 1 pack ciggies each) Barcelona, heading to Cape Town I celebrated my birthday with cheap French pop. Cape Town and all the ports back to Mombassa (I got drunk and spent the night in jail there) and then back around the cape doing all the ports AGAIN.
Eventually we got back to England not 5 weeks but NINE MONTHS later.
Most of the crew signed off but as Christmas was coming up I did the costal trip as well. Royal docks, Newcastle, Hull, Sunderland and back to London. I am not sure if we did other ports on the coast as one tries to forget the east coast in November.
One of the stewards told me that I would be dressing like him/her when we got home. No way I thought, but when we got home Flower Power was all the rage and yes I did buy a bright blue silk shirt with big white daisys.
I was the catering boy, peeling spuds and washing up all day. Sindy was a steward and Len was the baker.
Those were the days, a long time ago. I was 17 years old, films on deck under the stars and money in pocket. (a massive 24 a month)week. beautiful swimming pool in the mission at Mombassa, a wonderful beach in East London and the Spurs Club in Cape Town. The library was changed in each port with a Flying Angel mission, remember all those Readers Digests. Just a few memories of a long time ago..... (Pint)

Chris Isaac
12th October 2012, 08:56
I am not too shy to post a pic of the old girl.
Taken from Pretoria Castle when passing at sea.

I did 3 stints on her
I was cadet on her in 1966, laid up in Middlesbrough during the strike.

I then did a "double header" to the Cape as 3rd Mate in 1967/68. The master was Capt Stan Hay.

I was briefly 2nd Mate on her in 1969.

I do remember Arthur/Martha Goring, Chief Cook.

markl
2nd July 2013, 17:19
I have got a good picture of her (Tantallon Castle) I forget where I got it from so I'm not going to post it in here in case someone claims I stole it, but I'll email it to you if you send me your email address at

I am trying to put together a yesteryears sort of pack together for my grandfathers birthday, everyone should do this i have learned so much about his life which has been fasinating.
He served on the tantallon castle after returning from his active service for around 5 years and i would love to get him a few photo of what he calls "the old girl"
Could you send a copy of the photo mentioned in the forums to norton_m1@sky.com
I would be very gratefull and it would make his day as his photos were lost in a flood.