Hobart Star

Colin Havler
6th December 2007, 03:51
I was on the Hobart Star last voyage 1976-78.
Coz was the name. I remember Mick Lowther, Nig Pig Baker, Raff and others.

Would like to get in touch just to say hi.

I am now living in New Zealand have been here since 1990.

Hope to hear from someone soon

Coz

R58484956
6th December 2007, 10:06
Greetings Colin and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and all that goes with it. I presume you have seen the BSL web site at www.bluestarline.org. Bon voyage.

blobbybluey
6th December 2007, 11:38
(Thumb) are you the same col from hull ?,where you on the mystic,i was s.o.s on there with my mate john hanley,ive just got back from six weeks in auckland small world if it is you.

Cap'n Pete
6th December 2007, 12:16
I was mate on the Hobart Star when it was sold to the Greeks in Gibraltar. However, I was only there for a week or two during the handover.

(Not sure of the date - the MCA have my discharge book as I'm revalidating my certificate).

timo
6th December 2007, 23:19
Hobart Star........was that also known as the Animal Star???

Colin Havler
7th December 2007, 03:12
hi small world this is i,ve been out since 1990 when I emigrated to sth island NZ sometimes miss the job but lets face it we only remember the good bits. It was great though, wouldn't change a thing.

Colin Havler
7th December 2007, 03:15
hi small world this is i,ve been out since 1990 when I emigrated to sth island NZ sometimes miss the job but lets face it we only remember the good bits. It was great though, wouldn't change a thing

Colin Havler
7th December 2007, 03:32
hi bobby blue yes I was on the mystic in 74 joined in Curacao dry dock if you were there you would remember.I was Ab then.Joined with my mate george bennett.we did Havana where I remember laying on the awnings with a bucket of Havana club rum in the middle watching Mad Mick running up and down the quay trying to catch butterflies in a metal net we. All paid off in Montreal. my memory is sadly not very good give us more yours, colin

Colin Havler
7th December 2007, 04:02
Hi capt I was an ab on the Hobart from Oct 76 to Apr 78 where we paid off in Sicily after dropping off beef down the black sea I have abrother who was in blue star as well, Mick Havler.He is still in the game bos,n with north sea ferries I have been here in NZ sth island 17 years now, not regretted it a minute but still remember those peter pan days with a distarge book in the back pocket

Colin Havler
7th December 2007, 04:12
Timmo ,yes it was ,but just before my time.I joined in 76when the animals were one by one leaving People like scouse Loius,Kev Maunder etc Imet up with them later on the Andalucia star[loius] and Kev in a pub on king george dock Hull

blobbybluey
7th December 2007, 12:04
yes deffo remember all the names well i was os my name is jeff rawlinson,that mick was apiece of work wasnt he if i remember you flaked out on those awnings and got attacked by more mossies than i have ever seen, i met up with george about a year after paying off he was joining a lamport boat in liverpool,and he ended up missing it going on the piss with me and sconner (john hanley)in his dads pub .i ll see if i can find any photos of the mystic,where in the south island do you live i lived in timaru for a while my daughter is living back in auckland with a string of shops to her name,which enables me to visit with the grandkids and be pampered in a deserved fashion keep an eye on the board you will be surprised who pops up on here jeff.

blobbybluey
7th December 2007, 14:55
hi bobby blue yes I was on the mystic in 74 joined in Curacao dry dock if you were there you would remember.I was Ab then.Joined with my mate george bennett.we did Havana where I remember laying on the awnings with a bucket of Havana club rum in the middle watching Mad Mick running up and down the quay trying to catch butterflies in a metal net we. All paid off in Montreal. my memory is sadly not very good give us more yours, colin

hi col ive posted some photos in members faces you may remember.(Thumb)

Colin Havler
7th December 2007, 21:34
Hi jeff we are on the right track . I sailed on the Raphael leaving george behind,having to explain whether he was joining us for the voyage.He can be reached by sending me a PM and i'll send you his email address. I now live in Oamaru just 80 kms from Timaru. I have 3 girls,1 moving to Aussie after finishing her masters in genetics /microbiology in Jan.1 at teachers college in dunedin,1 more year to go and 1about to start a family in Feb,so going to be a grandad.Will talk more after looking at the photos.

edited to remove email address as per site policy by MS

Locking Splice
8th December 2007, 11:39
Hi Colin,

If its Geordie Mick Lowther, your on about, he also lives in NZ, think he moved out their in 90's and is still out their, Don't know any more than that.

Regards

Yuge

chrisw789
11th December 2008, 20:40
I was a Steward on the Hobart when she was sold , the dirty deed was done in Gib' but we paid off in Lisbon , remember going ashore on the liberty boat to watch the Euro cup final there was a mob of us and we ended up inviting a load of matlows off HMS Hermes to a bbq on the Sunday they robbed the crew bar blind !!! I think "Lotte Harland" was the purser, we actually joined the ship in Tenerife and spent about 3 or 4 weeks at Anchor in Gib', I loved those ships shame the whole game is gone now.