M.V. AVISFAITH... Purvis Shipping Co

Alan G
8th December 2007, 04:24
AVISFAITH
Reg:LONDON
18.000 Gross Tons
Aviation & Shipping co, Managed by N.Purvis.

Trade was, Chartered to Castro's Cuba, and took raw Sugar to Japan, China, N. Korea, and Russia, and Rice and General back, Castro chartered this vessel because it was British Flagged, and the USA could not stop it using the Panama Canal, they would not store us, a bunch of Marines just came on board and sprayed the Air Vents with Flit, case we had anything nasty, and gave us priority passage.

Did anybody sail on this ship? I joined in May 1967 flew to Gib, on a Dan Dair Comet, and paid off in 23rd April 1968. I would like to here from you if you did, as it was like a Humphrey Bogart Movie, most of the crew where Malayan, and Officers British, and everyone one wanted off, they were all going around trying to kill each other, we even had the Captain die on us and we tied him up in a canvas bag and hung him in the Veg Room, then they buried him at sea, which was a big mistake as anyone could have killed him, we needed to get into port quickly, as an investigation should have happened, still they thought a nice Burial at sea was the answer, sure got that from the movies.

Alan Godfrey
Galley Boy

[/URL]
(edited by Marconi Sahib to remove the pictures because of embedded links to the imageshack site. Not to the pictures but to the site sign up page.)

(http://imageshack.us)

[URL="http://imageshack.us"] (http://imageshack.us)

Alan G
9th December 2007, 20:28
From Barmieclaresdad

OK Alan, it is actually on SN if you do a search in the gallery it comes up as AMBOMAN88 which is the name under the Iranian flag.
There are 2 more photos with name Avisfaith, 1 as a tanker and the other seems to be a different vessel again.
Cheers,
Mal.

Alan G
9th December 2007, 21:11
Hi All

Here are some attachments of the death of our Captian, I have posted some here, because of the lack of a relevant thread in the Gallery. so am not sure were to put them.

As a Catering boy, I used to take the Old Man his morning cuppa, one morning I found him lifeless on the floor, it looked as though he had slipped and hit his head, I am a lad of 17 and I really didn't know much about this kind of thing, I called for the CS, he said it looked as though he had banged his head as he went down on the side of a table, if my memory serves me right we were mid Indian Ocean, after nearly getting stuck in the Suez canal, after the Bitter lakes where closed, I think our next port was Penang.

The Chippy made a canvas bag for him, and he was put in the Veg Room, and the CO took command, I got to tell you know that this was the ship from Hell, we where not a happy bunch, and the CO had a serious case of the DT's and all the rest were as bad, biggest load of misfits ever assembled, we all come to the same conclusion that we had been Shanghaied, as we joined her in Gibraltar not knowing anything about her, she never got to a British port so we could pay off, so everyone was trying to work thier ticket, I even jump ship in Penang, but that's another story, what with a dead Captain on our hands, the Malay and other assorted crew, you can imagine are a very superstitious lot, and all of a sudden 90% of them developed bad backs, and wanted to see the Doctor in Peneng and get off.

I possibly feel this is the reason they took the decision to Bury the poor man at sea, to get him off the ship, I am sure no communcation from head office would have made it, if there was any, but who knows with that outfit, I must admit they did do it right though, as the photos attest.

Engine stopped, Flag at half mast, all in our good gear, Hatch cover Flag and prayers, I still not sure if he had family or not, but I did hear when the S***t hit the fan, we should have gone to the nearest port, and there should have been some kind of investigation, to establish, cause of death, after all anyone could have murdered him, and nobody would have been any the wiser.

Alan G

K urgess
9th December 2007, 21:29
Very interesting Alan must've been a bit of a shock for a young lad.
Well done with the pictures as well.
This sort of thing is normally uploaded to the life onboard gallery but they go fine attached here to illustrate the story.

Kris

Alan G
9th December 2007, 23:22
Thanks Kris, easy as you say when you get the hang of it, I will post some more in that life onboard gallery soon.

Alan

Barmyclaresdad
10th December 2007, 17:59
Hi Alan, I signed on as R/O in North Shields in September 1962 and off in Hamburg in Feb. 1963. The OM was Evans.
We tramped around Indonesia and on the way home after Singapore the (professional) 3rd mate came home DBS after problem with the OM.
We also had a Malay crew and British Officers.
The 2nd mate was related to the owners. Unfortunately I don't recall at this stage any other crew members.
I remember while we were anchored in Singapore Roads, rival gangs of stevedores were throwing bottles of acid around.

Alan G
10th December 2007, 19:13
Names that I have found are Graham davies Newport 3rd Eng. Roger Britton Galley boy, Norwich, Osman Yaddi, Liverpool Carpenter, Patola AB, these of course were 3 years later than you, still cant find your photo, all I have is these.

Alan

Barmyclaresdad
13th December 2007, 12:43
Hi Alan, don't recognise any of the name mentioned.
For photograph go to gallery/search/avisfaith/all categories. 3 photographs there but I think only one is relevent.
Mal.

Alan G
14th December 2007, 05:39
Hi Barmyclaresdad, yes the third photo is of her, all I have is these.

Alan

Fairfield
17th December 2007, 11:44
Nice to see her here as AVISFAITH. I have a pic of her when she went to the Anchor Line as EGIDIA.

TODD BOWSHER
7th January 2008, 14:47
I recently moved to Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire.Yesterday while walking my dog through the local church yard I came accross the grave of Noel Purvis of Purvis Shipping.His chauffeur was my Grandfather. In 1962 he arranged for my parents to return from sydney harbour, Australia to Liverpool on board the 'Avisfaith'. The Captain gave up his cabin for the six week crossing ! . I may be able to locate some photos. Regretfully both my parents died some years ago .I beleive that the ship docked at Liverpool in late Autumn/early winter 1962. If anybody knows more I would be keen to hear.

Alan G
7th January 2008, 19:15
Thanks Todd, though I am from a later period, all photos will be gratefully received.

Alan

elcocherro
1st February 2008, 23:34
Hi Guys
My Name is John I Joined the Avisfaith in Kingston Jamaca in 1965 as a 1st trip junior Engineer I remember My first flight my first delux hotel in Kingston, and of course first taste of tropical climate, we were kept away from the ship until Just before sailing time, and the old crowd had paid off..
I wonder Why ?? Did anybody Join With Me I Think I remember Graham from Newport I was On his watch 8-12 there was another Junior called Les and Jeff from Tynside also a first triper.. Does this Jog any memories ??

Alan G
3rd February 2008, 01:49
John, this could be your lucky day, as I found some photos of the Engine room, do these ring any bells, I have got one of Taffy Davies but I need to scan it in, The cooks name was Barron, and he was from Ceylon as it was, I just remembered that.

Alan G

elcocherro
3rd February 2008, 20:12
John, this could be your lucky day, as I found some photos of the Engine room, do these ring any bells, I have got one of Taffy Davies but I need to scan it in, The cooks name was Barron, and he was from Ceylon as it was, I just remembered that.

Alan G

Hi Allan
Thanks for the Photos they do indead bring back some old memeries, especally that feeling of overwhelming confusion at my first sight of a real engine room !! I only guessed his name Graham, He was always Taff to Us, when I was on board the Carpenter was Cuban and he had his wedding when were in Havana I think ! Needless to say the stores were a bit low when we sailed. but as we were going to Spain ,Valencia with bagged sugar it did not matter that much....

Micky p
19th August 2009, 23:13
Hi Guys
My Name is John I Joined the Avisfaith in Kingston Jamaca in 1965 as a 1st trip junior Engineer I remember My first flight my first delux hotel in Kingston, and of course first taste of tropical climate, we were kept away from the ship until Just before sailing time, and the old crowd had paid off..
I wonder Why ?? Did anybody Join With Me I Think I remember Graham from Newport I was On his watch 8-12 there was another Junior called Les and Jeff from Tynside also a first triper.. Does this Jog any memories ??

Hi John, my name is Michael and i believe i was one of the old crowd, i joined the Avisfaith in Kingston, Jamaica in April/may of 1964 as a Junior engineer and worked on Graham(Taffy) Davis's 4-8 shift as he was then the Fourth Engineer. The om was called Evans, the C/Engineer was called Taylor and the Third Mate was Bill Aymes from Alston. Some of us paid off in Kingston i think in August of 1965, so it looks like you took my old job Hope you enjoyed your time as much as i did.

David Wilcockson
19th August 2009, 23:40
Alan G
Recall seeing her somewhere on the Japanese coast 1967/69, possibly in the Moji area, forerunner of SD14 in looks. You are way out on your gross tonnage figure though, she was only 7686 gross.
Cheers,
Dave

Alan G
20th August 2009, 00:34
Well I was only a kid, I just did as I was told, I probably asked someone and that'swhat they told me.

Was the OM Evans, a skinny man with silver hair and beard, and he had his wife on board as well.

I have some more photos somewhere.

I will try and post them.

But dont think we are allowed, they have to go in the gallery.

Al

Alan G
20th August 2009, 01:47
In Tokyo Bay, with Roger the Steward, and a Japanese friend.

I am trying to find more photos at the the moment.

ALan

Barmyclaresdad
20th August 2009, 19:04
Well I was only a kid, I just did as I was told, I probably asked someone and that'swhat they told me.

Was the OM Evans, a skinny man with silver hair and beard, and he had his wife on board as well.

I have some more photos somewhere.

I will try and post them.

But dont think we are allowed, they have to go in the gallery.

Al

Evans was the OM when I did the Indonesia trip with him but no silver hair and beard

Alan G
20th August 2009, 19:22
I am probably getting him mixed up with the Surrey Trader, another crazy ship I was on.

ALan

jeirmaleary
15th September 2009, 15:04
Hi Todd
In the early 60s I worked as the receptionist in the Purvis Shipping co in the Minories London and the 'Old Man' would come in 3 or 4 times a week and so I got to know your Grandfather Sam very well.
When did Noel Purvis die?
I wondered if the shipping company is still going.
I recently moved to Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire.Yesterday while walking my dog through the local church yard I came accross the grave of Noel Purvis of Purvis Shipping.His chauffeur was my Grandfather. In 1962 he arranged for my parents to return from sydney harbour, Australia to Liverpool on board the 'Avisfaith'. The Captain gave up his cabin for the six week crossing ! . I may be able to locate some photos. Regretfully both my parents died some years ago .I beleive that the ship docked at Liverpool in late Autumn/early winter 1962. If anybody knows more I would be keen to hear.

greektoon
15th September 2009, 16:32
This is a remarkable post Alan.

I am sure I sailed with Roger Britton in 1980 on one of Ropners. He was 2nd steward.

hoopereddie
24th January 2013, 18:19
Names that I have found are Graham davies Newport 3rd Eng. Roger Britton Galley boy, Norwich, Osman Yaddi, Liverpool Carpenter, Patola AB, these of course were 3 years later than you, still cant find your photo, all I have is these.

Alan

I joined the Avisfaith as 5th engineer on 17th April 1968 in Barcelona and was in all the usual places that you mentioned and guess who the third was , yes Taff Davies he did take some leave but returned afterwards again as third till the end of trip on 23rd September 1969 at Algiers. The OM was D.Dickson
Third mate John Coco age 72
Chief Engineer A Davidson
Fourth Engineer D Jenkins
Radio Officer Clive Henty
Bosun Abideen from Colombo Sri Lanka

hoopereddie
26th January 2013, 19:22
Here she is as the Egidie, ( copyright unknown )
1971 she was ALEXANDROS
1977 EGIDIA
1981 SEAVICTORY
1981 SOUTHDENE
1984 ASTHER
The end was 1985 broken up at San Esteban de Pravia.
Many names but AVISFAITH to me, many a good time had during the 17months trip.

A.D.FROST
28th January 2013, 13:33
32995John, this could be your lucky day, as I found some photos of the Engine room, do these ring any bells, I have got one of Taffy Davies but I need to scan it in, The cooks name was Barron, and he was from Ceylon as it was, I just remembered that.

Alan G

Please excuse my ignoance,but a picture is worth a thousand words,especialy the foto of the engine tops.I'm confused,AVISFAITH was a 5cyl.but your foto shows 6cyl.Gotaverken.I think its the SURREY TRADER's engine?

hopkinjd
13th May 2013, 13:58
Hi Guys
Hi John,

My name is John Hopkins and I joined the Avisfaith along with you and other in 1965. It was my first ship and I signed on as a cabin boy. Just for you info the chap that got married in Cuba was the Doc (our cook). His was from the Little Rhonda. My first memories of the doc was seeing a naked woman run out of his cabin to the heads and back when I was being shown to my cabin by the lads signing off. The next think I remember was the Doc with a cleaver in hand chasing some chap off the ship. You may also remember, my cabin mate also John(nicknamed Doberry) The Doc sold him as a cherry boy in Japan.

Unlike some of the comments I've read about the Avisfaith being a bad ship. I can only say that I had an absolutely wonderful time especially in Havana where I met wonderful people went to lots of street parties accompanied by a wonderful girl I had made friends with - Mira Levin who I'm sorry I never kept in touch with.
The people I remember:

Taffy the 3rd engineer always gave me good advice when I went ashore in whatever country we were in at the time.
Arin Anjon (not sure the spelling is correct) he was a Malay and always helped me out with both clothes and the Spanish language especially when we were in Valencia.
John, The Seventh Engineer, Always a joy to chat to.
The doc – Dominic. I can’t remember his last name but he was just brilliant.

hopkinjd
13th May 2013, 14:04
[QUOTE=elcocherro;183871]Hi Guys

Alan G
13th May 2013, 19:59
Yes your Right, what the Hell do I know about Engines.

Alan

Alan G
14th May 2013, 00:05
Some Attachments.

Barron the Cook, and me in a Havana Bar.
Malayan Crew Memeber, in the Mess.
Going Ashore In Santiago, the Ship behind is Not Avisfaith, I think its the Valentino Tereskova a Russian Ship we used to go on, and sample there Vodka.

kauvaka
14th May 2013, 00:33
Heh, Alan G what an interesting thread you started in 2007 and have continued on. Hope there will be more tales from the Avisfaith and perhaps the Surrey Trader. Kia ora!

lafarge
28th May 2013, 22:30
ALAN BARNSLEY,
Joined the Avisfaith in Algiers in 1969 as Electrician,flew out from Heathrow with my mate Clive Whylam from Barry Docks. We stayed in a hotel in Algiers for 3 days before we were allowed to se the ship along with a West Indian deck crew mainly from Liverpool. We discharged bagged sugar at various ports around the Med before loading general cargo for Brazil, Clive managed to break his elbow while working in the engine room in Marsielles and got flown home. We sailed to Rio de Janerio,Santos,Paranagua and Recife loading bagged coffee beans for the Mediteranean ports for 12 months, in that time we changed C/Eng. 4th Eng. 5th Eng. and Radio opperator. The new Sparks was John Clancy from Dublin. We had a British head Cook who got a lot of us to join a Football syndicate with Littlewoods and managed to win over 5000, we had a pay out in Rio, much to the displeasure of the old man because we couldn,t find the crew for a week, what a ship. Finaly paid off in Trieste 1970.