Orotava

Guns
26th June 2006, 15:57
Can anyone tell me what happened to Houlder Bro ship Mv Orotava. She was renamed Rippon Grange in March 1979. I sailed on her as an Engineering cadet. Joined in Emden and paid off in Karachi.

Mick Cannon

non descript
26th June 2006, 16:21
Mike,
As promised, to update you on the Orotava/Ripon Grange under the Houlders thread:

Orotava was built in 1968 and became part of Seabridge Consortium hence renamed Orotava Bridge, in 1974 reverted to Orotava, then 1979 transferred to Alexander Shipping Co. renamed Ripon Grange finally 1980 sold to Panama renamed Leda.

Kind regards
Tonga

saltyswamp
15th August 2007, 21:49
hi sailed on Ripon Grange early 1980. Anchored off Riga for a while
stuart(Pint)

BRIAN HERDMAN
13th December 2007, 13:46
Can enyone help im trying to find the name of a Hurricane.I was on the MV.OROTAVA IN August-September 1975.Off BALTIMORE we picked up a sailor in disstress his yacht had been batterd by the storm.We picked up the surviving sailor his mates had perrished.We took his yacht in tow untill the us coast guard came along side to retreave the stricken sailor.The ship and crew recived a citation from the coast guard.Anyone tell me the name of the Hurricane and what happend to the citation.T HE MASTERS NAME IS TYLER

gdynia
13th December 2007, 13:52
Brian

I believe there were 2 Hurricanes that season they were Caroline and Eloise

kdgiles
25th January 2008, 15:55
hi sailed on Ripon Grange early 1980. Anchored off Riga for a while
stuart(Pint)

Hi Stuart,
I think that puts me on the Ripon at the same time. We were taking grain from Rosario (I think) to Riga where the ship was unloaded by pigeon (well, at times they seemed more effective at removing the cargo than the dockworkers). I was paid off in Copenhagen Roads on the way out.

(Much headscratching & trying to revive dead brain cells) were you the 3rd mate? I was the engineer cadet.

Cheers, Kevin Giles

saltyswamp
26th January 2008, 20:33
(Thumb) Hi Kev I joined in baltimore and payed off in copenhagen roads so we must have payed off together think we stayed in hotel for a few hrs before flying home will post picts in gallery remember building lancaster bombers in the bar
with the C/O

regards stuart

Tony Crompton
27th January 2008, 09:57
I piloted her twice into the Tees.

On one occasion the engines would not go astern berthing and we ended up stopped with about 10 shackles out on the stbd anchor,fortunately without any damage. I was told it was a common occurence on this ship, something to do with the change over from heavy fuel to light oil.

The next time I was assured that the engines were o.k. but the Radar broke down in poor visibility!!
--------------------------------
Tony

Corky
5th March 2008, 14:41
I seem to recall that the Oratava/Ripon Grange was abandoned after a fire in the Panama Canal - I think it must have been in the mid 80's. I did my 1st trip as R/O, with Capt Brian Tyler, who apparently refused to sign me on cos I was a 1st tripper! Only relented because the R/O that I was relieving had refused to re-sign.. Does anyone remember Capt Brian Ditchburn - top bloke.

B.Bass
6th March 2008, 04:31
Does anyone know what happened to Capt.Tyler,lost track of him when France,Fenwicks were sold off?

alastairjs
6th March 2008, 12:06
To add to Mark's information:
1980 Sold to Leda Segundo Cia. Naviera, Panama, renamed Leda,
Stravelakis Bros managers.
1981, 9th December, grounded in the Galliard Cut blocking the Panama Canal.
Freed that day but 11th December at Gamboa her afterpart was
destroyed by fire.
1982, June, arrived at Ulsan in tow. Rebuilt by the Hyundai Mipo yard in 100
days. Sold there to the Unity Enterprise Co., Valetta, renamed Unity
1984 Became the Latini, owners the Romneya Shipping Corp., Panama
1986 20th March, left on her final voyage from Trincomalee to China for
breaking, arriving 25th April.
Regards,
Alastair

non descript
6th March 2008, 12:22
Alastair,
Thanks for that excellent update - I was curious about the idea that "Oratava/Ripon Grange was abandoned after a fire in the Panama Canal" as did not sound quite the sort of thing we did (Jester) - clearly those that looked after her later on after she ceased to have a proper funnel, were shall we say "different"..
(Thumb)
Mark

non descript
6th March 2008, 12:23
Does anyone know what happened to Capt.Tyler,lost track of him when France,Fenwicks were sold off?

Brian, no but I will try and find out.
(Thumb)
Mark

B.Bass
7th March 2008, 04:36
Thanks for that Mark.Will await your findings.

Big Mal
10th March 2008, 21:33
Hi there Mick, big mal here. I also joined the Orotava in Emden and paid off in Karachi! I was the jnr eng with you when we missed the ship in Portland & we ended up in a motel for the night with the sparky,John I think. Do you remember?

JOC42
22nd March 2008, 01:37
Jeeez guys !!
Mick/Big Mal - yeh, I joined in Emden and paid off in Karachi - can picture you guys!!
I remember being stuck in Portland, Oregon after we went ashore for the afternoon getting photos developed etc... the ship moved berth without us knowing and we had to stay overnight in a motel. Mount Saint Helens had erupted nearby as well so it was a wierd experience - endless cups of coffee in a local dive and dinner at Macdonalds ;-))) The local girls asking us to say something in "English", The local taxi driver by luck knew the agents and we did a tour of Portland to find somewhere to stay. Do you remember the christmas lights in the gardens of the houses around the taxi drivers place, his wife wanted to come with us for the ride??? I also remember the next morning as we drove over the bridge in Portland to see the Oratava below us on the river.
What about the experience in Tientsin, China when I upset the Mongolian guard with my stuffed owl (you had to be there) almost caused a diplomatic incident ..... lucky to get back on board after a lovely dinner of stir fried dog (not kidding) ;-(((

memories eh - keep them coming !!!!

cheers

John

Do you remember my mate Dave - 4th engineer, joined Panama. He came to my wedding a year or so later.

Corky
29th March 2008, 19:41
There was a programme on the History channel today, about the murder of Lord Mountbatten in August 1979. It reminded my that I was on the Ripon Grange at the time, and upon hearing the news, Captain Tyler called for the Irish 2nd Steward to come up to his office. He spent a full hour screaming and shouting at this poor chap, until he was rescued by the Chief Engineer. The 2nd Steward was practically in tears, and had to keep a low profile for the rest of the trip.

jeraylin
4th April 2008, 15:26
Just read all your memories and it gave me a laugh. I joined in Emden and paid off in Karachi. Ditchburn was the old man - GR8, and Bob Fredricks was the mate. I remember the China incident really well - but thought we had monkeys brains for dinner that night not the stir fry dog! Paul Marshall was the third mate.
we went Emden/New Orleans/Panama/HsingKang/Moji/Portland/Singapore/Karachi, six months - 2 cargoes!(A)

1st Trip Deck Cadet: Jerry Ayling.

JOC42
13th April 2008, 09:30
Jerry

Almost right on the trip .....
After Portland it was Surabaya in East Java then I think it was Cirebon.
The fog of time and all that eh?

cheers

John

gyca
7th August 2008, 10:09
Actually the names of the two hurricanes were Gladys and Faye. I remember because I was the RO on the Orotava (hence my user name in this forum) that received the distress call from the yacht and dialogued with the US Coast Guard as we towed the thing behind us! Imagine a 30kton bulk carrier towing a four/six berth (I think) yacht. I can still remember the sound of the masts crashing against our hull as the "survivor" shimmed up the pilot ladder. It was very slow progress to Baltimore, especially with Gladys and Faye bashing us about. I never got to the bottom of the yacht story but there were loads of suspicious things about the whole incident. I don't remember seeing or receiving any recognition from the USCG!

Re the old man Tyler. I remember he was a firey chap who often "sacked" you for beating him at darts. I got "sacked" often but re-instated the next day! However, he was a fair bloke and I respected him for that, that's why I requested the Orotava again as my final voyage (two stints 15 months in total) before changing career completely.

One final thing...I'm curious if anybody has a sailing log for the Orotava, Cavendish or Cumbria between 1974 and 1978. Cumbria (Furness Withy?) is a mystery as I cannot find records of it under ship list. In 1976 we broke a prop staff in Indian Ocean SE of Mauritius, stuck it back together with thistlebond (?) and limped to Singapore where we fitted an new one.

All the Best

K urgess
7th August 2008, 10:37
Welcome aboard, gyca.
Is this the Cumbria you're looking for?
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/57146

gyca
7th August 2008, 12:24
That sounds like her. Strange she's not listed on the Houlders page at http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/houlder.htm

PS: Like the animated clock. What happened to the green RT silence periods at the hour and half-hour? BTW I've still got a radio room clock in my study (RT and WT). Don't think you can get them know but I may be wrong.

K urgess
7th August 2008, 12:32
A lot of my ships didn't have R/T so I didn't see the green on the clock, gyca.
You can still get W/T clocks but you have to pay quite a bit for them nowadays. Mine's off a trawler and by Copes of Nottingham.
I much prefer without the green but they're very rare now.
Tonga will know about the Cumbria but he may try to link it to Hadley's in which case I shall cuff him round the ears (private joke).
Cheers
Kris

non descript
7th August 2008, 19:28
One final thing...I'm curious if anybody has a sailing log for the Orotava, Cavendish or Cumbria between 1974 and 1978. Cumbria (Furness Withy?) is a mystery as I cannot find records of it under ship list. In 1976 we broke a prop staff in Indian Ocean SE of Mauritius, stuck it back together with thistlebond (?) and limped to Singapore where we fitted an new one.

All the Best

An easy trap to fall into; the CUMBRIA was wholly owned by Hadleys (HSC) (and nothing to do with that other company FW (Jester) ) and although they took their crews from Houlders, they were independent (well OK, there was a 5pct shareholding of one of the management companies, but in simple terms they were separate)

A little about her appears here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=5749&highlight=cumbria+hadley) and a picture of her appears here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=27085).

I will endeavour to create a thread for this rather fine ship, with a lot of happy memories. In the meantime, a bit of information and background to her: She was built at Greenock in 1971 by Scotts, having been ordered by Greeks but bought by HSC at a momentís notice one Thursday morning, when the deal was proposed and accepted on the spot. She was launched 24 June 1971 and delivered on 1st July 1971. She was eventually sold in 1981 to the Novorossiysk Shipping Co., who were superstitious about 13 and wanted the bill of sale to read USD12,999,000 - having cut off all her goal posts and derricks, they renamed her Dagomys, then they in turn sold her to Golden Union who re-named her Flag Paola, and she was eventually scrapped in India in September 1997

PS. a little more about here appear here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=10166&highlight=flag+paola)

There was a rumour that the Indians paid an inflated price for the ship, based on a private theory that there was a hidden asset on board, in the shape of a missing cuff-link, but it turned out to be a misunderstanding of the words Fast Lane and the place where Shipbreaking Industries Limited were based. (Jester)

NINJA
8th August 2008, 07:52
Hello Gyca,

One of the ships you asked for a sailing log for between 1974 and 78 was the Cavendish, I sailed on her between Feb 74 and Aug 74, can sketch out a rough list of the trip if you are interested. Was on the Orotava but that was back in 1969.

Regards

Ninja.

gyca
8th August 2008, 10:03
Hi Ninja,

Thanks for the offer but both were a few years before my time.

It's digging deep into my memory bank but I think the order was:-
Orotava (75-76), Cumbria (76), Cavendish (76/77?), Orotava (77-78)
There was a stint on the Oregis in the North Sea when I helped to install the satellite positioning system etc (after she was repaired following the Black Midden rocks incident).

Best Regards
GYCA

tonymorcom
1st October 2010, 22:32
Can enyone help im trying to find the name of a Hurricane.I was on the MV.OROTAVA IN August-September 1975.Off BALTIMORE we picked up a sailor in disstress his yacht had been batterd by the storm.We picked up the surviving sailor his mates had perrished.We took his yacht in tow untill the us coast guard came along side to retreave the stricken sailor.The ship and crew recived a citation from the coast guard.Anyone tell me the name of the Hurricane and what happend to the citation.T HE MASTERS NAME IS TYLER

I remember that well. I have all my deck cadet stuff in the loft and am sure I have pictures and newspaper cuttings of the incident. Will look them out this weekend and post what I have.

tonymorcom
1st October 2010, 22:39
Actually the names of the two hurricanes were Gladys and Faye. I remember because I was the RO on the Orotava (hence my user name in this forum) that received the distress call from the yacht and dialogued with the US Coast Guard as we towed the thing behind us! Imagine a 30kton bulk carrier towing a four/six berth (I think) yacht. I can still remember the sound of the masts crashing against our hull as the "survivor" shimmed up the pilot ladder. It was very slow progress to Baltimore, especially with Gladys and Faye bashing us about. I never got to the bottom of the yacht story but there were loads of suspicious things about the whole incident. I don't remember seeing or receiving any recognition from the USCG!

Re the old man Tyler. I remember he was a firey chap who often "sacked" you for beating him at darts. I got "sacked" often but re-instated the next day! However, he was a fair bloke and I respected him for that, that's why I requested the Orotava again as my final voyage (two stints 15 months in total) before changing career completely.

All the Best

I remember this trip well including the coastguard guys being seasick whilst on the yacht. Must get all my stuff from loft tomorrow and will renew my memories and post what I've got.

tonymorcom
2nd October 2010, 16:38

Hi Brian, I have dug out my records as promised and have retrieved the following info. You were 5th Eng and I was senior deck cadet. As you may know in those days we had to keep a deck cadets journal and I enclose a scan of the 2 relevant pages. Bit scrappy but then I was only 18 and more interested in shore leave in those days.

tonymorcom
3rd October 2010, 23:40
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/50914/username/tonymorcom

peterh76-86
13th January 2012, 10:49
joined as 2r/o in Immingham. Trips to Murmansk, Kirknes, Sunderland, Sorel. Biggest ship to load iron ore in Murmansk, big party arranged, ship taken alongside in thick fog and collided with navy launch, ship impounded until large amount of dollars paid to russian navy. Still had party. Changed cargoes from iron ore to wheat. Went to Sunderland to get holds cleaned/painted, boiler ran dry - retubed. Paid off in Sorel first time in plane. So quite a memorable trip for me.

exsscadet
29th November 2012, 22:47
I was the Eng Cadet in 1980 joined Emden - Canada - Hamburg - New Oreleans - Tilbury. I left as she left Houlders (I was a Shaw Saville cadet but all part of the same group then!)