Bidford Priory = 1960 - 1975

Makari
2nd April 2006, 20:28
Can anyone help with a photo of the Bidford Priory or have any information on her, all replies most welcome. Mac

Bruce Carson
2nd April 2006, 21:00
Hi Makari:
There is a decent picture of the 'Bideford Priory' at the following:

http://www.solen****ers.co.uk/JAlbum/Companies%20P-Z/Wawrick%20Tanker/slides/Bideford%20Priory.html

Bruce C.

Sorry, the URL was too long. Try this for another picture of the ship:
http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/bidford%20priory.html

non descript
2nd April 2006, 21:11
Mac, I don't have a photograph at this stage but do have some background information for you. Bidford Priory (and sister ship Brandon Priory), 36,000 tdw steam turbine tankers, both built in 1960 the former built for at Cammell Laird and the latter at Hawthorn Leslie. They were built when BP were seeking finance for their new-building program and one method was to float jointly owned companies such as Warwick Tankers. The funnel markings with the “BP Shield" super-imposed on the Maltese Cross was a clear indication of their joint ownership. Both ships spend their entire lives chartered to BP and were sold for scrap in 1975 following the Yom Kippur War, that saw interest in such vessel drastically reduced.

gdynia
3rd April 2006, 06:25
Mac
Similar to what Tonga wrote

Bidford Priory 1960 chartered to British Petroleum, 1975 scrapped.

Makari
3rd April 2006, 07:10
Mac
Similar to what Tonga wrote

Bidford Priory 1960 chartered to British Petroleum, 1975 scrapped.
Big thanks guys, got the photo and all the information required, you are brilliant, cheers and all the best Mac. (Applause)

Allan James
3rd April 2006, 09:26
Theres a photo of her in Shipping Today and Yesterday, April copy....and they even get the name wrong and have renamed her the BIDEFORD PRIORY

Regards

Allan

Fairfield
4th April 2006, 13:13
Also a nice (trials?) shot of her at:
www.merchant-navy.net/ thumbs26.html

Very BP Bird like. No complaints about that!!

hercules
4th April 2006, 20:04
Good looking vessel with well appointed accommodation for that era of build. However the engine room was hot in the tropics and even hotter up the Gulf! Not very well laid out, with turbine main platform on one level and boilers on the next level up. Had lots of problems with machinery and carried additional 3rd and 4th engineers to try and keep up with the work/maintenance load. I understand the Brandon Priory (sister ship) was even worse with more engineers onboard, although never sailed on that one.

Magnus Flaws
25th April 2006, 08:22
My first trip was on the Brandon Priory as Junior Engineer, what an eye opener. When soot blowing you had to have a rag in front of you to check for steam leaks that would certainly have caused some pain. Hard work but good fun.

non descript
21st July 2006, 17:22
Our new member Emma has posted this * and if anyone has any news for her, I am sure she would be delighted to hear.

* http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=7009

BRIAN HERDMAN
12th December 2007, 14:24
i sailed on that tub If i wasnt for the great crew ide have commited hari cari The engineering officers salt of the earth,A LOWERY CHIEF ENG probably saved my life when my overalls got caught in taco shaft.GEORGE CHALMERS 2ND ENG,DAVE WHEELAN 3rdeng.RON PENNYCOOK 4th FRED DIFFY EX 3rd,IAN HARDIE EX 4th eng tony yates grocer(perser)

BRIAN HERDMAN
13th December 2007, 14:38
ANYONE REMEMBER CATCHING A WHITE TIP SHARK WITH A RED RAG AND A BUTCHERS HOOK WHILE DRIFTING IN THE INDIAN OCEAN HP TURBINE HAD BLOWN.(Cloud)

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 08:59
I was extremely interested to read your post Brian. I sailed mostly on the Brandon and Bidford between 1961 and 1967. I served my time with Alan Lowery who was a great friend of mine and my first junior when I was promoted to fourth enginer. Dave Wheelen may well be the same Dave Wheelen who was a Alan Lowery's junior when Alan and I were both thirds.

You will probably guess where my name on this site comes from.

John Campbell
19th May 2008, 11:01
I had a great pall who was 2nd Eng on the Bidford Priory or Brandon Prory he was William (Bill) Wood who sadly passed away some years ago.The outline of that fine looking tanker is etched on his headstone in Newbrugh Churchyard Aberdeenshire.
JC

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 11:14
Hi John.

I knew "Willie" Wood well and sailed with him often. He was junior second when I first met him on the Bidford just before Christmas in 1961. I was the only Junior on board at that time on the 12 to 4 with a Duncan Batgate from Edniburgh.

Willie Wood, as he was known to his shipmates, was a salt of the earth man who was very well liked and respected by everyone who knew him. A quiet and steady a man as i have ever known.

He was one of the engineers who was involved in a change over to running on the LP turbine after the HP thrust failed on th Brandon Priory in the Red Sea in the summer under chief engineer Rory Mcdonald, senior second engineer Ellis mason and third engineer Ali Scurr. Not a pleasant experience.

I am extremely sorry to hear of his death. Thank you for letting me know.

Kind regards

Bob

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 16:15
(Thumb) As well as Having the BP shield in the funnel, the names Bidford Priory and Brandon Priory also reflected connection with BP in their initials.

John Campbell
19th May 2008, 18:01
Hi Bombersman,
I passed on your kind remarks to Willie's widow, Betty , tonight and she was most grateful and asked me to pass on her thanks. Willie spent some time on the Uncle John after leaving the Brandon Priory - he was an excellent engineer of the old school. Sad he passed away so soon after retiral.
Best Regards
JC

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 18:11
I passed on your kind remarks to Willie's widow, Betty , tonight and she was most grateful and asked me to pass on her thanks.

How kind of you, JC. I appreciate that. I never met Betty, but I know that Willie was quite upset shortly after their marriage to have to leave her at home while he returned to commence another trip at sea. I was told this by a third called Ali Scurr who sailed with Willie shortly before I joined the MN.

I was more fortunate as, with changing times, i was allowed to take my wife Nora to sea with me shortly after we were married.

Betty has my deepest sympathies, as she has lost a very nice husband.

Kind regards

Bob

Bombersman
24th May 2008, 19:44
Hello again John Campbell and a good evening to you.

After our recent conversation, I contacted Albert Scurr (Ali) who also sailed with Willie Wood and informed him of the loss of our much respected and highly thought of Shipmate, Willie Wood. He was very sad to hear of Willie's death and sends his condolences to Betty.

Ali was with Willie on the Brandon Priory's maiden voyage when she ran the HP turbine thrust in the red sea and was rigged to run on the LP turbine only. Betty may well remember this.

Kind regards

Bob W

John Campbell
24th May 2008, 21:24
Hi Bob,

I have contacted Betty and she was pleased to get your news about Ali and yourself. She remembers Willie speaking about the problems on the B.P.
She has passed on the whole thread, which I printed out for her, and passed it to her daughter and granchildren who were delighted to know something more about Willie. She says thanks for your kind condolences

I knew him because Betty was my wife's best friend having worked together in the same office. Being both at sea we met infrequently until I came ashore to work in the North Sea and Willie came to work on the Uncle John. He was a great Houlders Man and always attended the reunions. He had a good shoreside job a couple of years before retirement where he got to use his skills as a marine engineer. Sadly he passed away after a long illness with cancer of the pancreas. He is still sadly missed by us all.

I remember meeting Willie by sheer chance one morning on the jetty at Sitra, Bahrain he coming back from having a tooth out at the Dentist and going back to the B.P.at anchor and me on the way to the Agents. A great surprise for us both.

Best Regards

JC

Bombersman
25th May 2008, 08:19
Hi Bob,

I have contacted Betty and she was pleased to get your news about Ali and yourself. She remembers Willie speaking about the problems on the B.P.
She has passed on the whole thread, which I printed out for her, and passed it to her daughter and granchildren who were delighted to know something more about Willie. She says thanks for your kind condolences

I knew him because Betty was my wife's best friend having worked together in the same office. Being both at sea we met infrequently until I came ashore to work in the North Sea and Willie came to work on the Uncle John. He was a great Houlders Man and always attended the reunions. He had a good shoreside job a couple of years before retirement where he got to use his skills as a marine engineer. Sadly he passed away after a long illness with cancer of the pancreas. He is still sadly missed by us all.

I remember meeting Willie by sheer chance one morning on the jetty at Sitra, Bahrain he coming back from having a tooth out at the Dentist and going back to the B.P.at anchor and me on the way to the Agents. A great surprise for us both.

Best Regards

JC

Hi John,

Thank you for the feed back about Willie. We often wonder what became of our friends at sea after we have come ashore and this site fills that question very well.

I am very pleased that our conversation has been of interest to Willie's family. This gives even more value to this site than I would have thought when getting on board a few days ago. What a good idea that was, to give Betty a printout.

My first trip at sea was on the Brandon Priory in the summer of 1961 after she had undergone repairs to the HP turbine at Hawthorn Leslie's ( I was involved in this as an apprentice) subsequent to the HP thrust failure. I didn't meet Willie until I joined the Bidford Priory just before Christmas 1961 and was the only junior aboard. An old (to me at the time) chief engineer was a man called Baker, a fellow geordie, and the acting second was a Roly Johnson. We had a third called Franky Garvock from South Shields who ahd been torpedoed twice.

"Sadly he passed away after a long illness with cancer of the pancreas."
Another obvious question, which we are often inhibited from asking, answered. Thanks again.

Best wishes

Bob W

Bombersman
2nd June 2008, 11:23
I wonder if anyone here rembers a man from Stonehaven called Jimmy Carnegie. Jimmy was great bloke and sailed on the Bidford, in 1962, with me to get his chief's steam time in. I met him later as chief on the Bidford when he was joining as I was being relieved. He was a quiet spoken man and sometimes difficult to hear in the engine room. His Junior was a lad called Earny Cherry who nicknamed him "The quiet man". Alan Lowery was my junior at the time.

Bob W.

chadders
3rd June 2008, 20:47
i sailed on that tub If i wasnt for the great crew ide have commited hari cari The engineering officers salt of the earth,A LOWERY CHIEF ENG probably saved my life when my overalls got caught in taco shaft.GEORGE CHALMERS 2ND ENG,DAVE WHEELAN 3rdeng.RON PENNYCOOK 4th FRED DIFFY EX 3rd,IAN HARDIE EX 4th eng tony yates grocer(perser)

I remember Dave Whelan he was 3/E on the Cerinthus when I was apprentice in '69 and Ron Pennycook was 3/E on the Hardwicke when she was a cadet ship in '76/77. TAG was the Old Man and Bomber Harris was C/E. I was 2nd Mate

Bombersman
4th June 2008, 07:49
I remember Dave Whelan he was 3/E on the Cerinthus when I was apprentice in '69 and Ron Pennycook was 3/E on the Hardwicke when she was a cadet ship in '76/77. TAG was the Old Man and Bomber Harris was C/E. I was 2nd Mate

Mornin' chadders, nice to hear from you.

Dave Whelan was a first trip junior on the Bidford, along with John Kincaid who was sadly killed on the Royston Grange. I remember one morning in the Caribbean heading for Las Salinas in Lake Maracaibo, when we had one of those torrential storms and the engine room skylights were vertical. This happened as Alan Lowery was taking over the watch so Kinky was left on the plates at the controls (in keeping with standing orders) while Dave, Alan and I stripped boilers suits ( we were almost about to go under a waterfall ) off and scuttled up top to close the skylights before any water got to any electrics.

Bomber on the Cerinthus Eh! How did they manage to prise him from the Bidford I wonder, which was looked on as his ship.

Kind regards

Bob W(Thumb)

clonguish
24th January 2009, 22:10
Sorry folks but I sailed on the bidford for 5 Months as 5/e in 75 and it was my worst trip I ever had C/E Lowry and his side kick Dave x2/E took an instant dislike to me and that also being junior to a 4/E who drank too much and the 3/O who likewise the higherachy in ER did not take kindly to me, had my watch off for my 21st cancelled and then to top it all they stopped my tap cause the taps had been stoppped on the 3/O and 4/E so tuff tiity to me. I thank God for the great skipper Paddy Slevin and C/S Maud ( I had sailled with Maud when she as AssC/S on the Hardwicke) who smuggled me the occasional brew ( even though Paddy was dry at sea ) that helped keep my sanity. My opinion of Alan and Dave remains tainted.

non descript
24th January 2009, 22:19
Sorry folks but I sailed on the Bidford Priory for 5 Months as 5/e in 75 and it was my worst trip I ever had ....

The whole reason for Batch sending you on the Bidford Priory was to make you appreciate the proper ships like: Cerinthus, Hardwicke Grange, Westbury, Ocean Transport, and Humboldt (Jester)

MARINEJOCKY
25th January 2009, 01:10
Sorry folks but I sailed on the bidford for 5 Months as 5/e in 75 and it was my worst trip I ever had C/E Lowry and his side kick Dave x2/E took an instant dislike to me and that also being junior to a 4/E who drank too much and the 3/O who likewise the higherachy in ER did not take kindly to me, had my watch off for my 21st cancelled and then to top it all they stopped my tap cause the taps had been stoppped on the 3/O and 4/E so tuff tiity to me. I thank God for the great skipper Paddy Slevin and C/S Maud ( I had sailled with Maud when she as AssC/S on the Hardwicke) who smuggled me the occasional brew ( even though Paddy was dry at sea ) that helped keep my sanity. My opinion of Alan and Dave remains tainted.

I am certainly sorry to hear of your experience especially with Alan Lowery, I sailed with Alan when I was a cadet & he was Chief, then as a Junior & he was an extra engineer getting his sea time in for his motor c/e ticket, then as a 4th when he was back as a c/e, then when I was a 2/e & he was c/e and finally I took over from Alan as c/e when he had to rush home to his sick wife in Santos.

My opinion of Alan is totally opposite of yours, I found him great to work with, always had time to show me & others what was needed and indeed to this day I consider him my mentor and besides my dad he was a person who taught me right from wrong and showed me that hard work never killed anybody (except the lazy).

Mind you Alan & I had a bad time for a while on the Cavendish until we sorted out the engineers who thought they knew better. We had each done 4 trips on her and knew the ship along with the deck guys and we had a 3rd, 4th & 5th on their first trips who thought they were better. We then found them fighting amngst themselves one night in the bar and it turned out they were all gay and having a lovers quarrel or whatever that is called. That certainly was a different trip for a while.

I was on the Brandon Priory and although the work was very hard I managed. I found all the hard working ships to be good and was going to write the worse ships were easy ones but then I could not think of one.

I have tried to find Alan via email with no luck so if anybody has any info?

Bombersman
25th January 2009, 12:20
MARINEJOCKEY said
"I have tried to find Alan via email with no luck so if anybody has any info?"
Likewise. I regret losing touch with Alan who was a good friend of mine and lived within a mile or so from my home. As happens all too often, on leaving the sea and starting a family, I lost touch with Alan as we took our different paths in life.

Alan is highly intelligent, and an IQ test given at Bath Lane college to all students taking S1 in 1956, showed Al to be exceptional, to a degree that he was pointed out to the examiners from the doorway to the classroom.

Alan, Dave Revell (of the ill fated "Royston Grange"), and I all got our seconds steam tickets at about the same time and were fortunate to meet up together on the Denby Grange when she was in dry dock at Brigham and Cowans. When Alan and I were both on leave at the same time, as often happened, we would visit any Houlders ships that were on the Tyne and invariably meet old friends and folk that we had at least heard of.

I was sorry to hear the disparaging remarks about Alan, which seemed out of character but then we are all different aren't we.

Kind regards

Bob W.

MARINEJOCKY
25th January 2009, 19:15
I was looking through a book titled "Hadley" by W.J.Harvey and there is a photo in it of the engine room of the CLYMENE when at Nelson, New Zealand with Captain W.S.S. Lewis, Chief Engineer C.H. Wall and Fred Lott and in the foreground a very young & skinny looking Junior Engineer A. Lowry ( I think that is the same A. Lowery that we know).

clonguish
25th January 2009, 19:24
Just to say that was the only time in my Career I had problems , and the mention of fred brings a smile to this day, all he was interested in was welding at his Bench on the poop and when I knew him ( or so I was told ) he had a habit of alwasy talking out the side of his mouth at you, was told he smoked a pipe for years, was his runarround on the Cerinthus, and again a Gent of the old school.

Bombersman
25th January 2009, 19:54
I was looking through a book titled "Hadley" by W.J.Harvey and there is a photo in it of the engine room of the CLYMENE when at Nelson, New Zealand with Captain W.S.S. Lewis, Chief Engineer C.H. Wall and Fred Lott and in the foreground a very young & skinny looking Junior Engineer A. Lowry ( I think that is the same A. Lowery that we know).

Alan sailed on the "Clymene" on her maiden voyege with a lad called Ernie Cherry who also served his apprenticeship with us at the Hawthorn Leslie marine engine works at St. Peters. You will no doubt be right about the A Lowery on the photograph. I vaguely remember the Chief Engineer, C.H.Wall, from the "Clymene" sea trials. If, as you say, Alan looked skinny then he must have lost some weight as he was always quite a big well proportioned lad who was a good footballer and runner..

His next trip was with me on the Bidford when I was promoted to 4/E in Cork in 1962. Ernie Cherry also joined the Bidford at the same time and it was great to be reunited with old pals from apprenticeship days. Together we had many good runs ashore including a notable one in Milazzo which I will not expand on.

Kind regards

Bob W.

Bombersman
25th January 2009, 20:05
Clonguish, you mentioned earlier an extra second engineer called Dave. Was he by any chance a certain Dave Whelan and a fellow Geordie? If so then he would have been Alans Junior on the Bidford years earlier (c1963) when Alan and I were junior and senior third engineers respectively. John Kinkaid, again another "Royston Grange" victim, was my junior at the time.

Kind regards

Bob W.

marinero
25th January 2009, 20:41
Clonguish, you mentioned earlier an extra second engineer called Dave. Was he by any chance a certain Dave Whelan and a fellow Geordie? If so then he would have been Alans Junior on the Bidford years earlier (c1963) when Alan and I were junior and senior third engineers respectively. John Kinkaid, again another "Royston Grange" victim, was my junior at the time.

Kind regards

Bob W.

Hi Bob.
Would Dave Whelan be a lad from Whickam. If so, I'm sure I sailed with him on the Cavendish. My wife and I used to go out for a drink with him and his wife now and again.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
25th January 2009, 23:34
Alan sailed on the "Clymene" on her maiden voyege with a lad called Ernie Cherry who also served his apprenticeship with us at the Hawthorn Leslie marine engine works at St. Peters. You will no doubt be right about the A Lowery on the photograph. I vaguely remember the Chief Engineer, C.H.Wall, from the "Clymene" sea trials. If, as you say, Alan looked skinny then he must have lost some weight as he was always quite a big well proportioned lad who was a good footballer and runner..

His next trip was with me on the Bidford when I was promoted to 4/E in Cork in 1962. Ernie Cherry also joined the Bidford at the same time and it was great to be reunited with old pals from apprenticeship days. Together we had many good runs ashore including a notable one in Milazzo which I will not expand on.

Kind regards

Bob W.

Hi Bob,

I heard a story about Alan and it took me until I was second (4th time of sailing together) before I got up enough courage to ask him if it was true. My understanding was he liked to bring his own pillow case with him but this was not stuffed with feathers but samples taken from certain areas of those he met during what must have been many cultural exchanges while ashore. Legend had it that he would take a pair of scissors with him and a plastic bag.

One night after Charlie Wilcox, Alan & myself had a few drinks I asked him and although he did not say yes he certainly did not deny it and indeed had a rather proud look on his face knowing the story was out there.

Do you know or have you ever heard of that story.

MARINEJOCKY
25th January 2009, 23:38
Hi Leo, I seem to remember a Dave Whelan, were we all together on the Cavendish.

Bombersman
26th January 2009, 06:24
Mornin' Leo.

Yup! that would be your man. As a junior he was a quiet, reserved and conscientious lad. Along with John Kinkaid Alan and I had two fine juniors.

Kind regards

Bob W.

Bombersman
26th January 2009, 06:30
Mornin' to you also MARINEJOCKY.

You said "Do you know or have you ever heard of that story."

Sorry, but I haven't. He must have started his collection after I saw him last. I would have thought that Alans pillow would need to be rather large.

Kind regards

Bob W.

clonguish
26th January 2009, 09:30
Bomberman yes it was Dave Wheelen, and Mairinejockey heard that same story diff C/E but if I recall items were kept in special draw or cabinet.

marinero
26th January 2009, 11:33
Hi Leo, I seem to remember a Dave Whelan, were we all together on the Cavendish.

Morning Malcom.
I know I sailed with you on the "Cumbria" but not on the "Cavendish" (I think) In fact you must have been on the "Cumbria" when I got landed sick in the Canary Islands on the way up from South America. What a time I had in the British Hospital there but I could not possibly put the details on a public site.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

marinero
26th January 2009, 11:45
Mornin' Leo.

Yup! that would be your man. As a junior he was a quiet, reserved and conscientious lad. Along with John Kinkaid Alan and I had two fine juniors.

Kind regards

Bob W.

Morning Bob.
He was not quiet and reserved as 2nd Eng. he was the life of a party as many who sailed on the "Cavendish" would testify to.
I knew John Kincaid well having sailed with him on the "Joya" when I think he was 4th. a sad loss.
Did you ever come across a 3rd. Eng. called Stan Hughes an Irish lad, he was also on the "Joya" at the same time.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

Bombersman
26th January 2009, 14:33
Hi Marinero.

"Did you ever come across a 3rd. Eng. called Stan Hughes an Irish lad..."
I certainly did, he sailed as 3/E with me on my last trip on the Bidford. The C/E was Bomber, captain was Mr Mulligan who had his wife with him and chief officer was Mr Charlesworth. Stan was a gentleman with a mischievous, impish grin and a good sense of humour. If I remember correctly, his full Christian name was Stanislow.

Those were the days when only master, chief officer, chief engineer and second engineer were allowed to take their wives with them much to the chagrin of the lecky who, like me, had just been married.

Kind regards

Bob W.

malachy
26th January 2009, 21:15
leo,
was Stan Hughes's junior May '70-Nov '70 on the Bidford Priory.Was always life and soul of the party and liked a bevvy or three.Spent a month in dry-dock in Cadiz where Stan and myself ended up on nights,so we'd be out in the town and Cadiz area in the daytime,actually went up to a bull-fight at Jerez with the Chief Steward(cant remember his surname but he came from the Manchester area and I think his first name was Ken),Stan nearly got us thrown out of the bull-fight as he was cheering for the bull!!!!Last time I saw Stan was when we all paid-off and flew home from Abadan but unfortunately Stan's releif didn't show and you can imagine Stan was non too pleased.A good bloke and knew his stuff in the engine room.
vinny

marinero
27th January 2009, 12:41
leo,
was Stan Hughes's junior May '70-Nov '70 on the Bidford Priory.Was always life and soul of the party and liked a bevvy or three.Spent a month in dry-dock in Cadiz where Stan and myself ended up on nights,so we'd be out in the town and Cadiz area in the daytime,actually went up to a bull-fight at Jerez with the Chief Steward(cant remember his surname but he came from the Manchester area and I think his first name was Ken),Stan nearly got us thrown out of the bull-fight as he was cheering for the bull!!!!Last time I saw Stan was when we all paid-off and flew home from Abadan but unfortunately Stan's releif didn't show and you can imagine Stan was non too pleased.A good bloke and knew his stuff in the engine room.
vinny

Hi Vinny.
You're right about Stan being an ace guy, salt of the earth in fact. Him and Kinkaid when they finished on the 12 to 4 in the morning, they used to have a few bevvies and when I turned to at 6 am I used to do them a fried breakfast so they had something to soak the beer up. Another time when we lost our Cook and a couple of Stewards in Japan(drug bust) Stan reckoned he was good at butchery so he used to carve up the huge hindquarters of beef(no pre packed stuff in those days) I wonder where he is now?
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

Bombersman
27th January 2009, 14:48
Fond memories of John Kinkaid spring to mind at your mentioning him Leo.

John Kincaid served his time at Hawthorn Leslie Shipbuilders at Hebburn, while I was at Hawthorn Leslie St Peters Engine works as I have mentioned before. John was a first trip junior engineer with me on the 12 to 4 and his first port was La Salinas, Venezuela. I think that Venezuela was John’s first foreign country and he was keen to sample the local but limited night life of this oil town.

An election was being held at the time (1963?) and the locals were going berserk. I remember green, red and black buses tearing round with people hanging on and shouting and screaming for the various parties that these colours represented. John found himself in a local bar with some shipmates attracting the attention of the local ladies. A shout went up “Bombs! Bombs!” but John told me he thought that they were shouting “Bums! Bums!” and thought “They’ll get nowt out of me” and proceeded to put money in the juke box, oblivious of everyone diving under tables. Next door blew up. The ladies and I use the term loosely, considered John extremely brave and were all over him.

John lived in Frederick Street in South Shields and I went to see him after we had paid off. He proudly showed me the new radiogram that he had just bought to his mothers delight. He had some good tales to tell of the street animosity between the mixed races in the area.

Bob W.

Bombersman
27th January 2009, 15:33
I wonder if anyone has sailed with Peter Dekker who was the son of Jacob Dekker, Boatswain (Royston Grange fatality). Peter was a deck apprentice with Houlders round about 1962 if I remember correctly. The family lived next door to my sister in law in Wallsend. My sister in law moved house just after the time of the disaster.

Bob W.

marinero
27th January 2009, 19:24
I wonder if anyone has sailed with Peter Dekker who was the son of Jacob Dekker, Boatswain (Royston Grange fatality). Peter was a deck apprentice with Houlders round about 1962 if I remember correctly. The family lived next door to my sister in law in Wallsend. My sister in law moved house just after the time of the disaster.

Bob W.

Evening Bob.
I never sailed with Peter that I remember but I knew his Dad quite well with sailing on the "Royston". If I remember correctly he was used as a model for naval uniforms him being a very nautical looking chap.
I recall one night with John & Stan seeing if they could drink enough cans to line the alleyway outside the saloon on the "Joya" with the empties, I think they had help from a few more people though and it was quite impressive. Other names come to mind on the "Joya" Ellis Mason Ch.Eng. Ev Partington 2nd.Eng. Nobby Clark Ch.Off. Ronnie Marr J/2/Eng who I sailed with on the Oil Rigs.
During my time in the Offshore Office in Aberdeen I worked with Nobby Clark for quite a while until his sad demise.
You know Bob I reckon collectively, we could write a book about our lives at sea but I doubt anyone would believe us.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

Bombersman
27th January 2009, 20:34
Hi Leo.

The beer can line would be typical of Stan, he was alway ready for a bit of fun.

Names from the past bringing back many happy memories.

Ellis Mason and his wife Dorothy I knew very well and sailed with them many times. Alan Lowery and I paid him a visit in the Tyne on the Brandon shortly after he was made chief. He was second engineer on both the Bidford and the Brandon (but not at the same time :-) )when I sailed with him. As 4/E on a 14 month trip, broken by two weeks dry dock art falmouth, I was on daywork with him for a while.

Nobby Clark I sailed with on the Bidford once. Ev Partington and Ronnie Marr I heard of but never met.

Kind regards

Bob W.

malachy
30th January 2009, 20:57
Hi Vinny.
You're right about Stan being an ace guy, salt of the earth in fact. Him and Kinkaid when they finished on the 12 to 4 in the morning, they used to have a few bevvies and when I turned to at 6 am I used to do them a fried breakfast so they had something to soak the beer up. Another time when we lost our Cook and a couple of Stewards in Japan(drug bust) Stan reckoned he was good at butchery so he used to carve up the huge hindquarters of beef(no pre packed stuff in those days) I wonder where he is now?
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

Hi Leo,
think stan lived in Dundrum,Dublin.Ellis Mason was Chief Eng, Skipper was Capt. Kerr, Electrician Chris Brannan, 2nd eng Bob Riley from Wigan,Geordie lad called "Robbo"3rd eng,. can anybody remember the Bosun's name, was a young guy from Brum who was into bodybuilding(sailed with him on the Cerinthus).
vinny(Thumb)

John Jenkins
25th October 2010, 11:15
Hi Brian, I was first trip engineer cadet around that time. Chief Engineer prior to Alan was Ellis Mason. Nearly gave up but Alan and George talked me out of it and stayed another 16 years. JJ

boycook
30th October 2010, 21:24
I sailed on the bideford had a great time in dry dock in singapore
kepel ship yard the tiger beer left a lot to desired wold love to now anyone who was there
the bosun was a great guy from st ives i think

galley boy

Terry Rand

Chalmers
3rd March 2012, 00:52
I joined the ship at Mina Al Ahmadi on the 20th January '74

With part A of the chiefs ticket under my belt before Xmas I was back at Aberdeen Technical Coillege studing for part B when Batch in the office got in touch to ask a favour. Join the Bidford Priory in the Gulf.
Being a bit fed up of studing why not? Wrong answer ha ha
First class ticket to Kuwait - £240. Funny how certain things stick in the mind.
Can't remember much excitement on the first couple of runs down to exotic Kwinana. Plenty good engineers onboard to keep her going.
Willie Wood from Newburgh in Aberdeenshire was the chief engineer. Nobby Clark from Westhills Aberdeen the mate.
Rolling Stones nights in the bar was a sight to be seen!
Willie Wood and Nobby paid off up the Gulf before we set sail loaded for the Isle of Grain.
Alan Lowery had taken over as chief eng. Dave Wheelan, Ron Pennycook, Fred Diffy, Ian Hardie senior engineers and was George Wilson one of the juniors?
Fred ??? filled the mate's slot. Pete Saunders was at some stage of the 6 month trip the skipper.
Yes Brian I remember you getting caught up in the taco drive taper pins when you were in the bilges looking for your shifter. The taper pins had been left sticking out 2" either side of the drive cogs. Caught the back of your boiler suit and ripped it clean off. Plus some skin.
Well things burst into life as we left the Gulf. I think it was on the midnight to 4? An almighty bag from the HP turbine. Why did it always happen at night?
It was first thought it might be the HP flexible drive coupling. It proved OK. Opened up the HP primary gear casing to find the culprit. Major damage to the primary wheel and pinion.
Then the fun started. All hands to the pumps.
Spent the next few days rigging to run home on the LP turbine. It was a miracle we found all the pipes and bits and pieces to do the job. Also had to lift out the HP primary pinion. No mean feat in the heat of the engine room at sea. The engine room crew and the cadets did a sterling job.
Copious ice cold beers probably kept us going.
A relaxing time for some of the crew, Somalies I think? who managed to catch a few sharks while we were adrift. Kept them swimming about in the pool for a while.
Eventually got under way again and headed for Mombassa to carry out further inspections of the turbine/gearbox bearings. The condition of the bearings indicated they would not make it to the UK so ended up getting a squad from shore side and inspecting them all and changing out many.
The noise in the engine room from running on the LP turbine only was horrendous but we made it to Cape Town and thankfully the Ise of Grain, Just!
A great crew made up for all the trials and tribulations

Paid off at the Ise of Grain on the 16th July '74

GC

steamship
1st April 2012, 02:12
anyone know what happened to a welsh 4th engineer called JJ Jones. he was a
clever lad and his ambition was to go ashore and be a teacher at college. He kissed old Bombers backside a lot but that didn't get him very far.

Bonzerboy
1st April 2012, 08:32
I joined the Bidford Priory in 1973 in Naples as a deck cadet. It was my first trip to sea. Paddy Slevin was the old man. The Chief Engineer was Dot Mason. She brought her husband with her. We traded almost exclusively Mina Al Ahmadi to Kwinana. On my shift off I went to Perth. Never went back for 38 years. Just re-visited working as marine super for a deep sea mining company.
I 'll never forget wearing just a pair of filthy shorts and boots down cargo tanks. Shovelling oily scale into buckets. To be heaved to the deck and poured into a canvas chute and straight over the side. I did so love tank cleaning. Give me loaded passage every time.

steamship
21st August 2012, 05:06
Hi all,
I have a nephew who is engaged to a Brazilian journalist and we have set her to work to find out if there are any Lowerys living in Santos. lets hope she turns something up.

steamship
24th August 2012, 04:42
Hi all,
I have a nephew who is engaged to a Brazilian journalist and we have set her to work to find out if there are any Lowerys living in Santos. lets hope she turns something up.

OK. It appears that there is one Lowery in the Santos telephone directory. I can only imagine that it is Alan or one of his children. If
someone is more computer savvy than me the can get the directory
on the internet and of course it would be helpful if they could get a portuguese speaker too.

Bombersman
5th September 2012, 13:20
Alan rang me on Saturday evening prior to returning to Brazil on Sunday. He will return to UK next year.

Unfortunately he didn't have time to come to my house for a chat.

Bob W

MARINEJOCKY
6th September 2012, 03:56
Alan rang me on Saturday evening prior to returning to Brazil on Sunday. He will return to UK next year.

Bob W

Hi Bob, did you have a chance to tell him that alot of us would like to get back in touch with him or does he realize he could log on here and find out himself.

Best regards, ME

Bombersman
6th September 2012, 10:32
HIi Malcolm

did you have a chance to tell him that alot of us would like to get back in touch with him
Yes, he reads these posts, but does not wish to post for personal reasons of his own. I did, however tell him that you in particular were interested in his whereabouts and he asked me specifically to let you know that he is thinking kindly about you.

With his wishes in mind, I am reluctant to expand further upon the lengthy conversation that I had with him.

Trust that you are well Malcolm. I go to Bamburgh for a week on Saturday where I hire a big house so that my sons, grandsons and Great granddaughter can come and go as they wish.

I hope that your parents are well and I feel guilty in that I did not get round to visiting them again.

Best wishes

Bob W

MARINEJOCKY
6th September 2012, 22:47
Thanks Bob,

My parents are not well, my mother lost a leg last year and now is very bitter as she has to stay in a home in Hexham. My Dad seems to give up some weeks and drinks way to much whisky and does not eat much to the point that he is skin & bones and keeps collapsing. He just got out of hospital yesterday after 19 days in Hexham. Sad but not much I can do.

Bamburgh, my dad's trucks took thousands of small xmas trees to the castle when it was used in a movie many years ago and I used to go to Seahouses for the kippers. Happy memories, hope you have a great time up amongst those huge sand dunes. We used to go there for our day out by the sea side, soggy egg & tomato sandwichs with the sand in the middle.

Are there any of those huge concrete blocks left up on the coast that were supposed to keep the Germans from invading

All the best, Malcolm

Bombersman
7th September 2012, 10:42
I was very sorry to read about your parents Malcolm. Please give them my kind regards and apologies for not getting back to them. I did pass their house several times and was tempted to drop in but I prefer to give advance warning of my arrival and was sweaty and smelly from walking.

I still walk a lot and have been across to the lakes several times this year and enjoyed some splendid walking on the fells during some of the limited warm spells ghat we have had.

I dont remember seeing the tank traps on the beach but will look out for them. I first visited the seaside at Newbiggin with my grandmother during the war when I must have been about three. we were only able to sit at the top of the beach as it was covered in rusty barbed wire.

Warmest good wishes

Bob W

steamship
7th September 2012, 19:00

Bob W

It's surprising how many people read the site but don't post. I was looking for a Denholms guy and asked about him and eventually got
seven replies outside the site. Anyway it's good to hear Alan is alive and well and hopefully still enjoying life.

Bombersman
24th September 2012, 12:54
The tank traps have been removed Malcolm but there is a small cluster of them, near the Wynding, on the beach.

We had a nice week at Bamburgh with the obligatory repeat visits to the Farnes and Lindisfarne.

warmest good wishes

Bob W.

MARINEJOCKY
24th September 2012, 21:20
My dad used to load them onto his pride & joy, a BMC 4 wheeler and take them to some old quarry, that was when I was a boy so going back 50 years or so.
The wife & kids are coming over to see them tomorrow for a week. No doubt the weather will bright, sunny and in the 80's ?

I hear it is terrible just now so one suitcase is dedicated to jackets boots etc

It's the parents 60th wedding anniversary and they were going to have a party at the home mother is in but she told the nurses she has been divorced for ten years and to call her by her maiden name !

Is that we have to look forward to at that age

Anyway good to hear from you, I was waiting to read Leo posting something about chief stewards but the silence is leading me to think there was more to our "wee" friend (LOL)
All the best, Malcolm

marinero
26th September 2012, 09:41
My dad used to load them onto his pride & joy, a BMC 4 wheeler and take them to some old quarry, that was when I was a boy so going back 50 years or so.
The wife & kids are coming over to see them tomorrow for a week. No doubt the weather will bright, sunny and in the 80's ?

I hear it is terrible just now so one suitcase is dedicated to jackets boots etc

It's the parents 60th wedding anniversary and they were going to have a party at the home mother is in but she told the nurses she has been divorced for ten years and to call her by her maiden name !

Is that we have to look forward to at that age

Anyway good to hear from you, I was waiting to read Leo posting something about chief stewards but the silence is leading me to think there was more to our "wee" friend (LOL)
All the best, Malcolm

Morning Malcolm.
I haven't responded to that thread because I feel embarrassed about being praised for doing my job. I do thank you and Alan for the good report though.
I am aware that some bad eggs gave the profession a bad name but I could name heads of all Departments who were guilty of transgressions as well as staff from head office including Superintendents.
The weather has just picked up here after serious floods covering the North East with people being evacuated from their homes in Morpeth(again) and other counties up here. In fact I thing the A1 is stilled blocked by standing water around the Catterick area.
I hope your family have a pleasant time over here and I don't want you getting into any trouble when they are away (clubbing etc[=D])
I know what you youngsters are like.
Take Care Malcolm.

Regards

Leo

MARINEJOCKY
28th September 2012, 00:49
I was standing in a rather "posh" bar last night, actually outside as the temp was about 80, when three rather good looking "chicks" walked in. To my surprise they headed our way, five of us guys staring at the girls, the cutest one came up to my friend who was smoking and in the strongest cockney accent ever said "can I get a fag mate" kinda spoiled the moment

....and of course I was home very early !!

oldseamerchant
6th October 2012, 07:29
I was standing in a rather "posh" bar last night, actually outside as the temp was about 80, when three rather good looking "chicks" walked in. To my surprise they headed our way, five of us guys staring at the girls, the cutest one came up to my friend who was smoking and in the strongest cockney accent ever said "can I get a fag mate" kinda spoiled the moment

....and of course I was home very early !!

So she mistake you and your friends for a group of gay guys?

MARINEJOCKY
7th October 2012, 17:45
So, are you homophobic ?.

steamship
24th February 2014, 00:27

Bob W

Hi there Bombersman,
Did Alan ever get back to theUK? I might be going to a wedding in Rio in June but don't know if I can make it to Santos.(Thumb)

Bombersman
28th March 2014, 11:24
Unfortunately no, I assume he didn't get back to UK.