Firemen

paulisfab
17th December 2007, 02:36
Hi I'm doing my family tree and my great grandfather was a sea going fireman in Middlesbrough about 1911.
Would it be possible to find out what the job entailed and if I could find out what ships in Middlesbrough that he served on.
Any information would be very helpful.
Thank you.

J Boyde
17th December 2007, 09:58
paulisfab, Cannot help you about Middlesbrough but I have thrown around come coal in a boiler.
Roughly the job; loading coal into the bunkers from its supply, Moving coal from the bunkers to alongside the furnace(s). Shoveling the coal into the furnace, giving the furnace a good level spread, no heaps. Clean the clinker from the furance, while keeping the fire going well. Where did the clinker go?, and of course at sea, you had to keep your balance and ensure that every shovel load goes in the furnace and not spread over the plates when you miss. Hard, hot work.
Jim B

K urgess
17th December 2007, 12:10
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Paul.
I see you've had a reply already from our helpful crew.
I moved your post to it's own hello thread so you can be greeted properly.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

R58484956
17th December 2007, 12:37
Greetings Paul and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

fred henderson
17th December 2007, 13:23
A warm welcome Paul. I hope that you will enjoy the site.

Fred(Thumb)

gdynia
17th December 2007, 13:57
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Billy1963
17th December 2007, 15:28
Depending on when he left the sea will determine which files his service record is kept.

1913 to 1940 Fourth Register of Merchant Seaman's service.

These records are available at The National Archives at Kew and are held on Microfiche in the following classifications BT 348: Register of Seamen, Central Index, Numerical Series (CR 2), BT 349: Register of Seamen, Central Index, Alphabetical Series (CR 1) and BT 350: Register of Seamen, Special Index, Alphabetical Series (CR 10). These three classes were combined in one classification namely BT 364 Register of Seaman, Combined Numerical Index (CR1, CR 2 & CR 10) and were made up by extracting combinations of cards from the other three classes. All these files before 1941are held on microfiche and are only available by visiting Kew and accessing the Fourth Register of Seaman's Service.

The original records for the above named classifications are now held at the following address:

Southampton Archives,
Southampton City Council,
South Block,
Civic Centre,
Southampton,
S014 7LY.

This office is open Tuesdays to Fridays 9.30am to 4.30pm, with one late evening opening each month. There is no charge for a personal visit. Alternatively enquiries for information from the records may be made by post, e-mail or fax but there will be a charge for this.

Alternatively:

BT 382. The Fifth Register of Seaman’s Service 1941 to 1972.

Records of individual Merchant Seamen's sea service details are held in alphabetical surname order at The National Archives at Kew and can be downloaded direct to your computer. These details include the following information: Name of seaman, Date and place of birth, Discharge (Seaman’s) book number, Rank, Details of the ships on which he served. These include:

Name of ship and official number, date of engagement (Joining ship), Date of discharge (Leaving ship), whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book.

Bruce Carson
18th December 2007, 01:32
Paul, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It looks like you have a detailed answer to your inquiry from a member; There are not many nautical questions that will not find an answer on SN.

Bruce

benjidog
19th December 2007, 00:16
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you enjoy the site and am pleased to see that you have already got some answers to your enquiry.

Regards,

Brian