Strathdirk

julian anstis
21st April 2005, 17:09
STRATHDIRK. built 1976 at Austin & Pickersgill Ltd, Sunderland. yard #455, 9,230tns. 5cyl 2.S.C.SA. SULZER.
Sold in 1981 to Emperesa Navegacion Mambisa, Cuba and re-named BARTOCOME MASO.
Sold on again in 1988 and re-named OLEBRATT
seen here leaving Avonmouth 1981.
photo courtesy of P.W.Hobday.

Ron B Manderson
21st April 2005, 17:19
I see no ship[s ?
Ron

julian anstis
21st April 2005, 17:24
I see no ship[s ?
Ron

I swear I uploaded that photo Ron......You know who is at it again.....lol

Should be there now....?

tanker
21st April 2005, 19:54
Very good ship this SD-14 type, great series ,i like SD-!4-FREEDOM-and FORTUNE type!!!
ciao
Gp

Govanbill
4th December 2007, 12:39
Sailed on her around 1976. Great ship with all pipes painted under the plates

Jim Moon
23rd March 2008, 17:46
Sailed on her 1979/1980.

I remember Peter Burns of Personell said to me, "You'll be flying out to Mombasa, she's off up East Coast of Africa, around the Gulf and we'll get you off when she returns to UK" (Strange as she was on USA - Gulf run......

Anyway so it proved and with little cold weather gear, the ship finally arrived in East Coast of USA in December - first job to buy some sort of warm coat, etc., (which is now retired off in the shed for gardening, these last 10 years or so).

Lovely SD14 ships, made life a pleasure for R/O's and Eleccy's chasing cables as there was normally jusyt drilled plate and cables came out the other side, no coverings, plastic/formica deckheads, etc., Happy ship.

Doxfordman
25th March 2008, 09:18
Wow, Peter Burns - there's a blast from the past. Ex 2/E/O with NZSC - he usesd to lie like a flat fish!!!

Jim Moon
27th March 2008, 16:40
Peter Burns was "Mayor of Epping" later in life also - True Blue in Margarets Days.

Conrad
10th October 2008, 15:28
Sailed on her as deck boy from 7-2-1977 to 29-6-1977 joined in La Guiara Caracas, paid off in Hull.

Trip consisted of round East Coast of the States then the dreaded Gulf then home.

Govanbill
13th October 2008, 20:33
Sailed on her as deck boy from 7-2-1977 to 29-6-1977 joined in La Guiara Caracas, paid off in Hull.

Trip consisted of round East Coast of the States then the dreaded Gulf then home.

Was Joe Quinn the bo,sun and John Galbraith his mate.

Conrad
13th October 2008, 23:14
Yes they were the Bosun and Chippy for that trip. They did not fly out and join with us they were already onboard if my memory servers me correctly.

I think we were either the second or third crew to sail on her, pretty new ship at that time.

Govanbill
14th October 2008, 11:42
Yes they were the Bosun and Chippy for that trip. They did not fly out and join with us they were already onboard if my memory servers me correctly.

I think we were either the second or third crew to sail on her, pretty new ship at that time.

You would have been second crew as I was in the second lot of engineers who had joined in December.
The captain was Don Foster and the chief was Roger Leechman , I remember you was it you,re first trip ?

Conrad
14th October 2008, 22:42
You would have been second crew as I was in the second lot of engineers who had joined in December.
The captain was Don Foster and the chief was Roger Leechman , I remember you was it you,re first trip ?

Yes it was my first trip to sea, apart from two weeks on the company yacht (MV Turakina) alongside in Avonmouth.

To be honest Bill I'm struggling to remember yourself or any other officers although the skippers name rings a bell. I can remember a few of the deck and engine room ratings.

Was it the Strathdirk that the AC packed in when we were in the gulf, I also sailed on the Strathduns soon afterwards so not sure which on it was. I remember it being bloody hot with no AC.

Govanbill
14th October 2008, 23:26
Yes it was my first trip to sea, apart from two weeks on the company yacht (MV Turakina) alongside in Avonmouth.

To be honest Bill I'm struggling to remember yourself or any other officers although the skippers name rings a bell. I can remember a few of the deck and engine room ratings.

Was it the Strathdirk that the AC packed in when we were in the gulf, I also sailed on the Strathduns soon afterwards so not sure which on it was. I remember it being bloody hot with no AC.

aye the AC packed in all right , I was day aboard when called to investigate a strange hissing sound from the compressor room , the seal on the compressor blew and we had to make a temporary one till we got a spare.
I was on 8-12 watch with the motorman Frankie Bonnar. The second cook was Carl Smith who was noted for talking to the baking machinery which he called Harry , Henry and Horace Hobart. The stewards were Scousers called Les and Kenny which incidently were the first names of the C.O. and the 2nd Engineer.
I loved it on that ship and we had all the pipes under the plates colour coded and fully painted and the engine room was more like a showroom than a place of work.
Happy memories

Austinsparks
11th June 2013, 16:10
Peter Burns was "Mayor of Epping" later in life also - True Blue in Margarets Days.

I thought he was mayor in the late seventies, possibly just before Mrs T's time in power, but I may be wrong. Anyway I'm attaching a local newspaper photo (from 2010) of an outgoing mayor of Epping along with 11 previous mayors; Peter Burns is on the right.

Austinsparks
11th June 2013, 16:18
My post above was a bit "off topic" really, so I'll add that I was R/O on Strathdirk from Sept 1977 until March 1978. UK, Gulf, East Africa and USA - paid off in New Haven Connecticut after sailing up from New York via the East River - all very scenic, even in deep snow.

KEITHMAR
11th June 2013, 21:56
Memories !Memories!.OhDear Peter Burns !!! I knew him for ten years He could speak with more than one forked tongue ,But he got the job done ,We all believed "His " Just three weeks coasting I promise KEITH"........Yer Yer PETE .I did not recogniise him in the photo though .Too many free lunches and G&Ts I suspect ........Nice One Austin Thanks for that!.......Regards to all KEITHMAR

Ramborunner
7th December 2013, 00:33
My first ship outta Gravesend 1979,Joined as catering boy,flew out to JFK and got stuck in!

R58484956
7th December 2013, 10:52
Greetings Ramborunner and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Doxfordman
7th December 2013, 20:47

I was with Roger (Scareface) Leechman in the Essex. He is still alive and well, living in California I think.