Is it me? (ISP Problems)

treeve
17th December 2007, 21:35
Is it me, or is this common throughout all Intenet Providers?
I write a lucid question and the answer I get has precious
little about my question and treats me as if I am a complete
and brain dead idiot. The answer always ends with adding the
premium phone number, which I tried on one occasion and got
the same idiot response after wasting a fiver on a phone call
I had to sort it all out by digging deeeep into the system.
So much for backup and advice. Can anyone offer any advice
as to a cheap provider - I am paying 7.99 per month no limit
on time of day or time on line for dial up. Maybe that is too
little to expect someone in the provider's service office to
actually read, understand, and offer sensible intelligent advice?
Best Wishes, Raymond

K urgess
17th December 2007, 22:31
The response centre wasn't on the sub-continent was it (LOL)?
They never do have a clue.
Can't help with a cheap provider I'm afraid. I'm not even on BT but our local telephone company's line and broadband.
I used to do telephone support as part of my computer engineering career but that was in the days of computers the size of cabin trunks!
My ISP is quite good on tech support but I haven't had to use them that much.

sparkie2182
17th December 2007, 22:38
i use orange........ i cant say if they have a particularly cheap tariff as i have the free phone and broadband combination....... but the reliability i can vouch for as being excellent.
this may not be of use to you treeve, but other members may find it of interest.

ddraigmor
17th December 2007, 22:48
Sparkie,

I'm with Orange as well - used to be Wanadoo. Not cheap, but the tech support (when I needed it) was excelent....once I had tuned my ear to the local accent......

Jonty

Santos
17th December 2007, 22:51
i use orange........ i cant say if they have a particularly cheap tariff as i have the free phone and broadband combination....... but the reliability i can vouch for as being excellent.
this may not be of use to you treeve, but other members may find it of interest.

Do not mention Orange in my hearing. Personally they treated me like Sh1t, left me with no internet connection for over a month and I ran up some terrible phone bills to their Support Team trying to get re connected only to be told to ring back later and when I did being spun some yarn then told to ring back again. They tried all kinds of things to stop me leaving including a refusal to supply me with my MAC Code. They could not guarantee even getting me connected again. In the end I had to use the omsbudsman to make them comply and I managed to escape to another ISP.

I truly wish you well with them Sparkie, you might like to visit the following site :- http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/

Chris.

sparkie2182
17th December 2007, 22:51
usually the problem these days, jonty

i think sailing with brocklebank helped.............lol

sparkie2182
17th December 2007, 22:56
thanks santos.........

i have bookmarked the site in case of problems in future.........

the one common thing about i.s.ps is that there is ALWAYS someone who has a problem.
in my 14 years online , i have had about 4/5......... and scouring the net always produces the pros and cons in abundance for any i.s.p that you can name.
the best thing is to stick with the one you are happy with, and try not to be tempted by other i.s.ps who offer slightly cheaper tariffs.

best regards......................

K urgess
17th December 2007, 23:04
Thinking about it I've just remembered I have two ISPs.
I also have a dial up account with Which Magazine that I've had for more years than I care to remember. I only use it now for the email addresses but if I ever have to revert to dial-up in a emergency it's there.
Their support has always been excellent.

Santos
17th December 2007, 23:08
Sparkie I agree entirely - I was happy with Freeserve for many years and even Wanadoo when they took over Freeserve - but when Orange took over Wanadoo all hell seemed to take place, they upgraded me which I didnt want, then I kept losing my connection, they convinced me to go to their new system which lasted 4 hrs 20mins then the connection failed and was never ever re connected they then said I was under contract and would have to pay 105 to leave. Thats when I approached the Omsbudsman.

I honestly hope that you will be OK

Chris.

treeve
17th December 2007, 23:08
I am weighing up the possibility of broadband, as the line
is already upgraded, and the PC is set up for it, just that
I have been picking up the pieces from two failed ISP
companies, and breathe offered to take over the customers.
Having had a web account of theirs, I reckoned on moving.
But these days I am getting failed connections and interrupted
emails right in the middle of receive or send. All with a brand
new PC and modem, all functioning "spot on", I complain of
the broken connections and they give me an instruction on
how to set up a dial up connection ... spitting bytes, I am.
Been on the net since 1996, I think I know how to add a dial
up connection by now. But, I am listening to your ideas and
advice, me hearties. Best Wishes, Raymond

Hugh MacLean
18th December 2007, 00:13
Gents,
These ISP's or CP's (communications providers) as they are now called are not allowed to stop you from transferring to another CP. The only thing I would caution is to check how long you take out a contract with them. Some of them will try to sign you up for long periods and if it dosen't work out you are snookered.

Regards (Thumb)

treeve
18th December 2007, 01:29
I think the next time they ask me what my pc and
operating system is, I will answer "it is Tueday and
I have my tea without sugar, thank you", just as
appropriate as the answer I get from them.
Does not the service they provide come within the
requirement for "of merchantable quality" ?

Sarky Cut
18th December 2007, 03:06
I,m posh I is,oive got two ISP's. Tiscali at 9.99, they have caused me no trouble except sometimes the server goes down. There is a problem as they are based in Italy, with some of the local stations there is a licensing issue, for example I cannot get "kmfm" because of this. The speed is not upto much because of exchange and distance issues but when anything has gone wrong their support has been good.

The other one at another address is Orange 5.00 a month for 2meg. Reason I have an Orange Mobile on contract and this offer was on at the moment.
To good to be true as I was spending considerable loot on a dialup system.

Parcel arrived via courier containing a wireless modem, leads and two ASDL filters. Pleased as punch I set about connecting up same and nothing.
Contacted Orange and they tell me that I will be connected on 4th Dec.
Started to connect up last Friday and again nothing.
On the phone and I am told that it has been activated and I am on a 12.00 package. Back to Customer Support, sorry there has been a mistake, we will change you back to correct package.

DING DING DING go the warning bells.

Try to set it up again, would not connect. Change the phone point still no connection. Try the phone in the ASDL filter, no phone. Try the phone in the BT socket. Broadband clutter. Change the ASDL filter. Computor on line instantly. One of the ASDL filters straight out the box is duff.

I now have a working 2meg Broadband for 5.00 a month.

But what a lot of hassle to get connected and was being charged 7.00 over the odds.

I am working on 589.5kbps with Tiscali but 2megs on Orange is 8 times faster and it shows.

So it pays to shop around but if your exchange is a long way away then dont believe the promises of the ISP's regarding speed as the line is the governing factor for speed.

Hope this has been of assistance and before connecting make sure the ASDL is functional, it will save a lot of tears and frustration.

Hugh MacLean
18th December 2007, 10:35
So it pays to shop around but if your exchange is a long way away then dont believe the promises of the ISP's regarding speed as the line is the governing factor for speed.

Good advice. I have lost count of the people that I visit in my job who complain about slow speeds when they are miles away from the exchange. This is the fault of the CP's. They use the top end figure to attract but the reality may be in the small print.

Regards (Thumb)

newda898
19th December 2007, 14:22
Do not mention Orange in my hearing. Personally they treated me like Sh1t, left me with no internet connection for over a month and I ran up some terrible phone bills to their Support Team trying to get re connected only to be told to ring back later and when I did being spun some yarn then told to ring back again. They tried all kinds of things to stop me leaving including a refusal to supply me with my MAC Code. They could not guarantee even getting me connected again. In the end I had to use the omsbudsman to make them comply and I managed to escape to another ISP.

I truly wish you well with them Sparkie, you might like to visit the following site :- http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/

Chris.

Seconded - they really were terrible when I had a problem and couldn't care less.

These days you can get a few good broadband companies (if you're going that way) that have UK support, good speeds and good reliability.

http://www.idnet.net/solutions/homeofficebroadband.jsp

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

benjidog
20th December 2007, 21:20

Chris.

Chris,

Orange gets a huge thumbs down from me also. When it works fine - when if fails they insist on you connecting via the kit that they provided and will not help you out with any other kit (routers etc.) and basically tell you to sort out the problem with the router provider. As they never provided me with said kit in the first place this makes things rather difficult! (Cloud)

I have just had a long and expensive call with them to try to sort out a failed connection problem and they were insistent that it was the settings on my configuration that must be wrong even though the bloody thing was working this morning and has not changed. I asked them to check the line and they said that they could not - "it is not possible". Nonsense of course. I then asked to be put through to the complaints department there was a change of tactics and hey - "Ok we will get the line checked". Lying bastards!

I am an IT professional and the tests I was asked to run were totally inappropriate for the symptoms - a networks novice would know that they would fail. I predict that when they have done the line test the service will spring back to life by magic and I will be told that there was nothing wrong so it must have been my computer.

I am now actively seeking a new ISP and recommend anyone else reading this to think thrice before going for Orange.

Regards,

Brian

samuel j
20th December 2007, 21:44
So their tagline "The Future is Orange" is a load of bull..LOL(Jester)
Some lemons over her too that do just as you say "when they have done the line test the service will spring back to life by magic and I will be told that there was nothing wrong so it must have been my computer" . Muppets..:confused:

Santos
20th December 2007, 21:56
Brian & Samuel

I have to say how lucky you were yours sprung back to life, mine died for over 6 weeks and never came back at all. I still feel so very angry at the way I was treated. According to that site I highlighted its still going on as well. Dont know how they can get away with it and the ombudsman does not do something.

Chris.

Trevorw
20th December 2007, 22:25
I'm with TalkTalk. To begin with, they were a disaster - Indian call centres, no satisfactory solutions, but I persevered, and, now (touch wood) I haven't had a problem for a long time. Christ, I hope I'm not tempting providence?!!

treeve
20th December 2007, 22:36
So, it seems that it is not me ... it is general. My brother is on orange
not at all a-peeling more a case that it gives him the pip. Equally not
just unhelpful, more case of not at all bothered or intelligent enough
to understand the question, and to hide behind a blanket of "you need
to change your settings" Duhhhh. I have software that checks the
route and chain of the net connection, and I know precisely where
the chain is broken and when, but they refuse to accept that I KNOW
they are lying. Not a lot of alternative other than gritted teeth.

samuel j
20th December 2007, 22:40
Not sure if same over there but here most of the physical lines are owned by one company Eircom in our case. Many so called ISPs then bulk buy time/bytes whatever at discounted rates from eircom and resell as their own product. all rosy in the garden until a problem starts and then no one will take responsibility and you go on a wild goose chase to find who is at fault. i used many but in end felt had no choice but to go back to eircom who of course react much better when you direct with them. Makes a joke of so called re-regulation as you back to the bugger who owns the actual line network when it goes pear shaped. physical line quality a big issue here and many even new buildings/housing estates still link via ancient exchanges so you still on a bottleneck despite the sales pitch from the bugger that rings you just when you're sitting down to your tea brgds John, Cork Harbour

treeve
20th December 2007, 23:57
Having looked around at broadband packages, they seem to be a
step backwards ... very limited traffic.At the moment I can download
and upload as much as is possible, no limit on time or time of day.
Looks like I am getting a good deal, despite the failures of breathe.com.
As I write the bl@!!ody thing has failed again. No point at all reporting
it .. their reply is that "we have had no reports of failures" .... "well,
what's this then? !!" Oh, for an intelligent thruthful response.
Slaunthe ...

benjidog
22nd December 2007, 13:06
I only just got back on line today.

To be fair to Orange, once I had got past the stage of denial by the first idiot in the call centre and someone actually looked at the fault they did manage to sort it out. But if I had not threatened to terminate my service unless they looked in to it properly I don't think anything would have happened.

Regards,

Brian

treeve
22nd December 2007, 14:16
It does not help when you get advice on Outlook Express settings given by breathe on their pages which is different from the advice on settings in their service contact replies. At the moment I can get no email contact via OE, and there has been no reply to my complaints for 24 hours.
I am fed up with going to the webmail pages and having to type in name and password to get the mail, and forward it to OE via the truly reliable zoom mail.
All Best, Raymond