Where are they now ? (Edinburgh Castle, 1973)

andysk
18th December 2007, 12:55
Anybody recognise anybody ?

Where are they now ?

Voy 170, First Class Gala Night 18 September 1973

From L-R :

Rhona Hunter, Nursing Sister
Tony Weller, 4th Officer
Self, 3rd Radio Officer
Jo Butler-Gould, Children's Hostess
Les Martin, 3rd Officer
Anne Cruttenden, Purserette
Mike Saffin, 3rd Purser

In background centre, in white shirt, Maurice .... - Officer's Steward.

Enjoy ....

Cheers

Andy

Glyndwr
10th July 2008, 11:22
Hi

I am not in the foto but most certainly I was on duty. I was 3rd Radio Officer during the period and Tony Weller was a good friend of mine.

Cheers

Glyn Lewis

JamesM
10th July 2008, 12:22
It must have been tough on those "passie boats",------------ just jealous!!
JamesM

andysk
10th July 2008, 18:11
Hi

I am not in the foto but most certainly I was on duty. I was 3rd Radio Officer during the period and Tony Weller was a good friend of mine.

Cheers

Glyn Lewis

Hi Glyn ...

Ho Hum !

I was 3/R/O from 15 Aug to 31 Dec 1973, Voy 170, 171 & 172, so you must have been there before me ?

It must have been tough on those "passie boats",------------ just jealous!!
JamesM

Yes James, it was certainly tough, but somebody had to do it !

Glyndwr
10th July 2008, 21:49
(Thumb) I was on GOHN several times. I left in April 1973 and came back in Apr 1974

I have some interesting photos which I will post over the weekend...

Glyn

Glyndwr
11th July 2008, 21:01
Here is the photo I promised. I am the one next to the wine waiter in blue. The others guys are Doug, Peter and ??

Glyn

stan mayes
30th January 2009, 00:33
Edinburgh Castle -
Does anybody remember this ship visiting London during 1975 prior to her going to breakers?
Stan

andysk
30th January 2009, 11:21
Hi Stan ...

I am not aware of a visit to London, in 1975 she would have been on the mail schedule as normal, with no time for visits anywhere else but Southampton !

She had the normal turnaround time in Southampton before her final departure, which was cargo only on the mail schedule to Durban, then direct to Kaohsiung for scrap.

I posted a couple of pics a while ago of these two occasions :

12 April 1976 - Arrival Southampton from final mail round voyage.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=101547

26 April 1976 - Departure final cargo voyage (on the mail schedule) for Durban then scrap in Kaohsiung.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=101556

Cheers

Andy

stan mayes
30th January 2009, 13:09
Hi Andy
Thankyou for posting the two photos of her final voyage.
I posted my question as I am still looking for confirmation that Edinburgh Castle was in the Thames during June 1975.
I put two photos in the gallery which I had taken of her at the time -it is possible you have not seen them as you did not comment.
Regards
Stan

andysk
30th January 2009, 14:31
Hi Stan ....

I have looked at the pics you posted (see 1 & 2 below) and read all the comments, I must have I missed them the first time around !

I think the only really definitive way of finding the answer is to take a look at the issues of Lloyds List around the date you took the pics for shipping movements in the Thames estuary ports (expected and sailed), and the Lloyds "Blue List" for those dates which will say where Edinburgh Castle was at the time.

By then, all the Intermediates (Braemar, Rhodesia, Kenya etc) had gone, the only 'lavender hull' vessels left were the mail ships, the Reina del Mar and the two Castle "R's".

The Guildhall Library has Lloyds List (on request, not on open shelves), I am not aware of anywhere that carries the archives of the "Blue List" though.

It would be good indeed to solve this one !

Incidentally I thnk the date on my departure slide may be wrong, it's actually a Monday, I'll check my diaries over the weekend.

Cheers

Andy

1. http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=139577
2. http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=139864

stan mayes
30th January 2009, 14:57
Hi Andy,
I have tried Lloyds List and also tried to enter the archives of Trinity House pilots without success and a friend is checking the Thames tug sites -
I am sure this puzzle will be resolved.
Regards Stan

andysk
30th January 2009, 15:52
Hi Stan,

Just wondering if you've tried the Guildhall Library in the Barbican (they are open on Saturday's as well !) or the Newspaper Library in Colindale ?

Cheers

Andy