oilrig days

calorpig
21st December 2007, 15:22
hi everyone just looking for info or pics on the following,ocean rover,ocean kokui,pentagon 81,dyvi offshore,bawden drilling,claymore alpha,piper alpha,sedco,db 100,safe holmia,and any info on the names of the crew that perished on piper as had a few friends that worked on her and cannot find a list
also,M K SHAND invergordon,ARA,Sodxeho,mcp01,jim borthwick lochgelly fife.
thank you.

DELBOYEAST
24th December 2007, 11:11
Hiyas, I Was Offshore From 1974, Started On The Bluewater 3 For Santafe, Then Went To Bawden Drilling On The Montrose Alpha.
I Recently Ran Across A Former Crew Member That Was Roughneck When I Was Derrickman. He Is Now Drilling Manager For Developement Drilling For Rashpetco Here In Egypt

John Beaumont
13th August 2008, 21:24
Hi, worked for Dyvis Offshore for 11 years 1982 onwards, will dig some pics of Dyvi Sigma, Dyvi Stena I was R/O on both. Great company until they sold.

regards

John B

calvin
15th October 2008, 19:11
worked on zedco 135 f and g and ocean tide for ossco petroleum and parkers caterers.

chain shot
24th July 2010, 21:40
Ex-Schlumberger hand here. Damn , that formation density tool was heavy !

B.Nicholson
16th August 2010, 22:29
hi everyone just looking for info or pics on the following,ocean rover,ocean kokui,pentagon 81,dyvi offshore,bawden drilling,claymore alpha,piper alpha,sedco,db 100,safe holmia,and any info on the names of the crew that perished on piper as had a few friends that worked on her and cannot find a list
thank you.

an old school mate of mine. Born in Hebburn and married in South Shields. Died on Piper Alpha, Harry Green.
Bob

Peter Trodden
18th August 2010, 10:27
Bob,
there is a book by Ed Punchard, Piper Alpha,a survivors story. It lists all the names of those that died including your mate,Harold E Green. It also names the survivors from that tragedy. I lost 2 mates on Her.Dave Ellis and Tommy Hayes. May they All Rest in Peace.
Pete.

Peter Trodden
2nd September 2010, 22:16
John B,
I was with Dyvi Offshore,at the time you where on the Dyvi Stena. I joined the Dyvi Gamma in Brest Dry-Dock 1984,and after her convertion to an accomadation Rig we moved to Morecambe Bay Gas Field where we stayed during the construction of the Platforms. In 1986 we moved to the S/North Sea,off G,Yarmouth for Shell and stayed 12months. In 87/88 I was on the Dyvi Sigma drilling in the Danish sector,and when them holes where done,so was I.
I left after 11months drilling:sweat: Theres easier money to be made offshore,than working the deck on a Drill-Rig.(Fly)

B.Nicholson
16th September 2010, 00:33
Bob,
there is a book by Ed Punchard, Piper Alpha,a survivors story. It lists all the names of those that died including your mate,Harold E Green. It also names the survivors from that tragedy. I lost 2 mates on Her.Dave Ellis and Tommy Hayes. May they All Rest in Peace.
Pete.

Yes Peter may they all rest in peace. Harry was a nice little man. He had a bit off a rough childhood and did not deserve that at such a young age , or any age really
Bob

Power
9th November 2010, 14:07
Hi

Has anybody got any contacts with people in the offshore industry.

I retired in 1987 after working for Haliburton and subsequently have no contacts.
My son aged 24 is trying to get into the industry as a Motorman/Mechanic having a City & Guilds qualification as a Mechanic. He has 5 years experience and has recently got his offshore Health & Safety, Helicopter cetificate for the North Sea and Norwegian Waters.
Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Pat McCardle
9th November 2010, 14:13
My mate Ernie Gibson was the mud engineer & was killed on Piper Alpha. He was an ex RN man, from Sunderland. Also a chef, Dave Brown, killed in same disaster.

Don Matheson
9th November 2010, 15:00
Pat I think I knew your mate Ernie Gibson, the mud man.
Was on Piper for around a year and a half and had left just before the disaster so knew a lot of the boys who perished.
Imagine my great joy after never being able to trace a missing friend, meeting him in a hairdressers in Gt. Yarmouth as I was on my way to a rig. Spent some time catching up but he was a changed man.

Don

Blackal
10th November 2010, 17:39
Hi

Has anybody got any contacts with people in the offshore industry.

I retired in 1987 after working for Haliburton and subsequently have no contacts.
My son aged 24 is trying to get into the industry as a Motorman/Mechanic having a City & Guilds qualification as a Mechanic. He has 5 years experience and has recently got his offshore Health & Safety, Helicopter cetificate for the North Sea and Norwegian Waters.
Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Drilling rigs could be the most likely avenue..........

These are crewed at entry-level (motormen and roustabouts) by manning agencies such as:

Petrofac
OMS
Atlantic Resourcing

It sounds like he has his BOSIET (Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training)

He will need a UKOOA medical certificate (and Norwegian one if he can afford/justify it)

There is also a new requirement for all offshore personnel (even ones with 20 years' experience) called MIST (Minimum Industry Safety Training) which could eat up two more days of his time/money.

For a new start - get all the required certification in place, get round the doors of the manning agencies with a CV, and be prepared to go offshore at a day's notice.
A big leap, but sometimes that first job which "appears" to be for only one trip over Christmas/New Year - may turn in to a long-term employment.......... You just have to take a chance.

HTH

Al :)

Don Matheson
10th November 2010, 20:44
Power Al is correct in what he is saying, your son will have to do the rounds and visit the companies. It is really no use just sending out CVs as most companies have rooms full of them, a daily visit is sometimes the best way so the girls at the front desk get to know your face.
I know an Aussie who asked the receptionist if he could have a coffee, while doing his rounds, got his coffee when the personell girl came out looking for a roughneck. She spoke to him, he could go right away so he had a medical and a chopper flight that afternoon. Not everyday but it happens. If he is willing to do the rounds he should take his gear with him and be able to go offshore that day.
He will have to start as a motorman as he has no experience as a mechanic, his qualifications count for very little in the Drilling Industry. Drilling mechanic is nothing like a a normal mechanic due to the equipment he deals with. Its very heavy work but once you get used to it its a very rewarding life. The problem with rig work is that on your first day in the job you could land any number of jobs from an icecream maching( not very often) to a broken down Top Drive (more likely) 1Million drilling machine, and the expression is "if you cant fix it you cant stay". That was the Global Marine expression.
I recomended one motorman for a job on a land rig and his first visit was around 2 in a snowy morning when they were rig moving. He hated me at the time, but once he settled in he was a good mechanic.
Tell him to try it, a motorman is a good job on a lot of rigs, much wider job than you may think and he will help the mechanic, electrician and welder and a million other jobs as well as running his engine room.

Don

Blackal
10th November 2010, 21:01
Don - you've hit the nail on the wotzit.

It can be a steep learning curve for new-starts, but attitude wins in the long-run (with a smattering of tech know-how).

There is another slightly skewed entry avenue - as a steward...........

Look at it as a way to get your foot in the door - and once you are there..............

Companies include:

ESS
Sodexo
Aramark
Trinity

Don Matheson
10th November 2010, 21:29
Al I worked for quite a while with Global Marine and on one rig, I think it was the Glomar Arctic 3, had a tiny girl sign on as a steward. She loved the job and as Global promoted from within when they needed a roustabout she jumped at the chance. Did that for a while and when I last was there she was a roughneck. They didnt care what you sayed you were, if you could do it, you got the job.
Would be interested to hear what Powers lad makes of our posts, but if he needs any further info he can let me know.
Loved Globals attitude when we were in drydock in Rotterdam. No drinking rule but you could go ashore and get wrecked. No one said anything, but not able to turn too the next morning, you were run off, simple!

Power, tell your lad to try Transocean, now a huge outfit who need hands for their
rigs on a regular basis. They run Jack Ups and Semi Submersible rigs.

Don

Don

Blackal
11th November 2010, 21:28
Not sure if Transocean employ directly at entry-level, Don.......

One overriding bit of advice I think is relevant........

Get your foot in the door - at any discipline.

If the first offer is as a steward - take it! Doesn't matter if you are a mechanic by trade - it gets you a livable wage and you have your foot well and trully in the door.
Don't view it as below you - every position on a rig is important. If it wasn't essential to the running of the rig - it wouldn't exist.

Do a good job, impress the engineering supervisor - pass on your CV and show a desire to follow your profession - if you're the right person for them...... you'll reap the rewards.

Hope that helps.........

Oh! If your lad wanted to play a wildcard - apply direct to Atwood Oceanics for a motorman's position............

You never know

Blackal
17th November 2010, 17:21
I'm begining to think that nothing short of an "in" to an employer was what was being requested..............

Oh well................

Al

Don Matheson
17th November 2010, 21:20
Al I was being to think the same. Have read over the request and notice he says his son has 5 years experience and helicopter certificate for NS and Norwegian waters. Where do you get them unless you have worked offshore. I did say if he needed further help to let me know, but he didnt so I give up.
I think you are correct in that he wanted an introduction to Mr. Transocean or at least Red Adair. Perhaps like me, if no one bothers to persue an initial offer you lose intrest in the person.

Just so happens Atwood were looking for a motorman at the time you mentioned them. Oh well, perhaps I should turn the clock back a long way and apply for it myself.

Don

Power
18th November 2010, 15:54
Hi Don

Sorry if you think I have been rude in not replying , but as I work full time it is difficult to go on the web . My son's 5 years experience is as a Mechanic in a Mercedes Benz garage and he does MOT's for them as well. His offshore certificate he paid for himself to try and get at least an interview. All the companies mentioned in the responses have been contacted. I was hoping somebody had a direct name of a person they new in the offshore industry.

Many thanks for the all the comments

Roy

Al I was being to think the same. Have read over the request and notice he says his son has 5 years experience and helicopter certificate for NS and Norwegian waters. Where do you get them unless you have worked offshore. I did say if he needed further help to let me know, but he didnt so I give up.
I think you are correct in that he wanted an introduction to Mr. Transocean or at least Red Adair. Perhaps like me, if no one bothers to persue an initial offer you lose intrest in the person.

Just so happens Atwood were looking for a motorman at the time you mentioned them. Oh well, perhaps I should turn the clock back a long way and apply for it myself.

Don

Don Matheson
18th November 2010, 21:29
Power, no worries mate it was myself who was rude. Wasnt having a good day yesterday so everyone was in the firing line.
Al and I had mentioned quite a few companies but as Al pointed out, most drilling companies dont recruit openly anymore, mostly done through agencies. Much better ( more secure) to get on with a company than an agency.
If, as you say, you worked for Halliburton, perhaps there might be a way in there as Halli had guys in the yard who would come out from time to time to check on their engines and equipment.
There is very little chance of your son being taken on as a mechanic as a rig mechanics job and a shore mechanics job is chalk and cheese. He would have to learn the equipment and about the only way to do that is by working with the mechanic if he needs help. The range of duties is so vast as the mechanic looks after everything on the rig and has to work very closely with the electrician and welder as well as relieving the motorman for meals.
Mechanic also has the fun of working with roughnecks and roustabouts, a simply wonderful group of guys in any situation, but who could break a cast iron mountain.
It would seem to me that your lad will simply have to fire out the CVs and visit Aberdeen and go round the companies.
By the way Atwood were looking for motormen but it was for a newbuilding so I doubt your son would be considered. They will however move some of their own motormen from other rigs and they in turn would be open to new guys. Atwood have their own website so just Google Atwood and go from there.
Hope some of this helps.

Don

Weld3r
18th December 2010, 22:51
Hi all, i am new to this site so bear with me i just registered so i could give some advice for person looking for a motormans job! i originally would try my hand with some of the service companies doing ship n skip etc like haliburton or swaco, this is a great way to see lots of different rigs while making good money(with little time off i may add) i did this when i started offshore until i found a rig i liked working on then asked the rig super for a job, he gave me an application form told me to go into the company office with it as soon as i got off the chopper i did and got a staff job with the drilling company right away plus they paid for all the certs and training i still needed - i stayed with that company for a few years and waited till i found a 2 on 3 off rotation before moving on-much better finding a rig you like before taking a job on a rig you hate ,there are some hell holes out there! i went to the thistle alpha(black pig ) as a deckie while i was working for atlantic resourcing-wow that thing is defying gravity somehow i cant understand how it still stands.under no circumstances would i go back on there i have refused a couple of times and last time i refused it went on fire the same week it felt too unsafe for me , the deck foreman who was fire team leader and should know where everything is couldnt find a fire hose and was trying to put out a fire on a turbine with a drillwater hose 1" in diameter DOH!
sorry im away on a tangent here , find somewhere you like working before signing into a contract!

Weld3r
19th December 2010, 00:04
Not sure if theres a list of agencies on this site but heres a start
Offshore marine services uk aberdeen
rigman offshore aberdeen
hays oil and gas aberdeen
global rescources aberdeen
atlantic resources aberdeen(part of petrofac)
rose recruitment
genesis personnel peterhead
tulloch recruitment aberdeen
esk offshore(part of mi swaco)
team recruitment aberdeen
feel free to add to this!
iain

Blackal
19th December 2010, 06:06
Very useful advice, Iain - especially the part about finding a rig which you enjoyed working on, first.

Al

Don Matheson
19th December 2010, 13:47
Iain If no one else has said it, welcome to Ships Nostalgia!
That is a lot of good info you provided and I hope Powers lad will be able to make use of it and it gets hima start.
The problem Al and I had was that he thought sokmeone could walk onto a rig and start as a rig mechanic.
Good plan about getting a start and moving about till you find a job that you like. Much better to have a new start if you have already been somewhere and liked it, makes life easier at first. Have seen a roustabout quit on a jackup on his first shift and got the next flight back to Yarmouth.
Feel free to post or join in, are you still offshore and where are you working, have been able to work out what you do from the name.

Don

DERRY POWER
28th November 2011, 15:40
hi derry power here looking to trace old bawden hands from claymore< piper late70s early 80s

DERRY POWER
29th November 2011, 09:53
thank you.
hi derry power here worked on piper and claymore in the late 70s and early 80 looking to trace harry croft who worked as driller on platform

DERRY POWER
2nd December 2011, 13:29
thank you.
hi mk shand looking to trace old friend harry croft from belfast worked on piper inthe early 80s

petersue
19th December 2011, 20:51
Hi, worked for Dyvis Offshore for 11 years 1982 onwards, will dig some pics of Dyvi Sigma, Dyvi Stena I was R/O on both. Great company until they sold.

regards

John B

Hi john,yes it was a good company,and had good crew.

DERRY POWER
16th January 2012, 11:48
Hiyas, I Was Offshore From 1974, Started On The Bluewater 3 For Santafe, Then Went To Bawden Drilling On The Montrose Alpha.
I Recently Ran Across A Former Crew Member That Was Roughneck When I Was Derrickman. He Is Now Drilling Manager For Developement Drilling For Rashpetco Here In Egypt

hi derry power here looking to trace harry croft i believe he is working in egypt

Hugh Wilson
16th January 2012, 13:00
There are a number of Offshore vacancies advertised on the Northern Marine website www.nmm-stena.com which could be of interest.