History and Office building

Jan Hendrik
24th April 2005, 04:48
There are various web sites on this great shipping line.

Anybody who is interested then I suggest:

http://www.unofficial.net/hal/line.html

and/or

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/hollandam.html

You will find a list of all ships which ever sailed under the banner of this company and which operational part has now been transferred to Carnival Cruises.

Hereby once again a picture of the original building in Rotterdam which has been converted to a hotel/restaurant, called Hotel New York.
Picture taken 2004.

japottinger
29th June 2005, 13:30
Looks suspiciously like one of the discreet red strip lights above one of the doors!

Jan Hendrik
29th June 2005, 14:35
(ballet) Ah, you see , that is me who stands in front of the building and I have carefully examined those red/pinkish coloured windows you refer to and can honestly make a true confession this building is now used as a prominent hotel with a restaurant on the bottom floor.
I did expect some sort of friendly remarks from one of our SN friends, so I made sure.......

Jan Hendrik
9th March 2006, 10:55
Some clever architect wanted to do something about the skyline in Rotterdam.
His only achievement seemed to be a huge gun on top of one of the buildings, ready for WW3 but this new type of architecture did reduce the glory of that wonderful old building of the HAL.

Jan Hendrik
8th July 2006, 04:01
Found a photo from 1952 showing Rijnhaven and you can clearly see the HAL Building.
Vessel with the 2 funnels on the left is the "Nieuw Amsterdam".
Photo by KLM Aerophoto

Bruce Carson
8th July 2006, 04:39
That's probably the 'Veendam' on the right.She was not broken up until 1953.
Her sistership, 'Volendam', was sold for breaking up in February of 1952 after making her last voyage, New York to Rotterdam, in November of the previous year.

Bruce C

Jan Hendrik
8th July 2006, 06:10
Thanks for that additional information Bruce.
Think you are quite right. I was not sure about it.

Jan Hendrik
10th February 2007, 06:40
Updated photos of the historic building as taken in Feb 2007.

wvdleek
23rd February 2007, 18:47
On Wednesday, 28 February, Holland America Line's new European Headquarters will be opened.
The office is located in the Montevideo building, which is next to HAL's former headoffice (now Hotel New York).