BP Radio Officers

johsuth12
30th December 2007, 01:20
I'm not sure if anyone here would remember my father, John Sutherland, who was radio officer on many of BP Shipping's ships during the 1960's, 70's and 80's.

He served on quite a few ships and the ship names that come to mind include British Avon (where he spent 2 years as permanent R/O on in the early 1980's after the Falklands), British Reliance, British Ranger, Vic Bilh (when on charter to BP), British Tay and British Resolution.

He took early retirement due to a road accident in 1989 and is still playing around with his radio equipment.

Best wishes

John

macjack
31st December 2007, 19:49
I recall, voyage round Cape, to Mina Al u no where, aboard British Engineer. circa '57. Sadly Radio Officer E. G. Garner, decided to end voyage by way of monkey island to foredeck, (messy) this before VHF etc, and no other vessels for many days within aldis contact , Consternation at B House. Ken Bruce 2nd Officer eventually sorted things and made contact with outside world. Think Ken became Master BP.
Regards,
Mac.

paul0510
31st December 2007, 22:24
I have indeed sailed with a John Sutherland as Sparks with BP, but I'm blowed if I can remember which ship. Black-haired, lean Scot, quite a jovial chap methinks. Would be late 60s, early 70s. Osprey, Patrol, Venture, Hero, Destiny(3), Beacon, Willow, Hawthorn.........must have been one of 'em!!

Gordon L Smeaton
14th January 2008, 07:05
Hi
John relieved me on the British Ensign 1973 I think, in Hamburg drydock, if my memory serves me well his wife accompanied him. Also if it's the same man did he end up in Sullom Voe for awhile.

Me I'm still at sea but contemplating the big "R", stayed with BP till 2006 and then decided to see what was out there, working on a construction vessel west Africa.

Wish him well

Regards

Gordon Smeaton

Radiomariner
12th November 2008, 23:52
I believe I was in the same intake to James Watt School, Greenock 1959-61
Over the years I have had one or two radio contacts (QSO's) with him but cant remember details

David Williams
28th April 2009, 16:42
I recall, voyage round Cape, to Mina Al u no where, aboard British Engineer. circa '57. Sadly Radio Officer E. G. Garner, decided to end voyage by way of monkey island to foredeck, (messy) this before VHF etc, and no other vessels for many days within aldis contact , Consternation at B House. Ken Bruce 2nd Officer eventually sorted things and made contact with outside world. Think Ken became Master BP.
Regards,
Mac.

Hi Macjack.
Got my wires crossed somewhere along the way,
regarding the "Saint" boats,But I was with the B.P
back in 1952-59,sailed on the British Pioneer,Resource
Envoy,Hero and the Duke.

Dave Williams(R583900)

johsuth12
10th December 2009, 19:30
Hi

Many thanks for these responses. They are much appreciated.

John